Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know bengaltgrs...  
Full Name Chris Smith
Nickname bengaltgrs 
State/Province, Country CA   United States
GD Gathering City San Francisco, CA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.applicachia.com/index.php 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Senior Software Architect 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1082  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 3/18/2004 7:26:14 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Best Game Engine for Indie Game? I've been working on getting a new Indie game up and going and have gotten to the point of needing to choose which game engine to pick. The game itself is an FPS, the vision of which is only just now being realized by the concept art... an... 
Posted June 24, 2009 8:38:20 PM
hierarchical matrices in directx I'm trying to setup a hierarchical node system, but I'm having some trouble calculating the world transform for the subnodes. Each node has a local transform and a world transform, so I'm trying to calculate the world transform of a subnode given the... 
Posted October 8, 2010 3:17:30 PM
[PAID] Need 3D & 2D modelers/designers and sound engineer for tower defense game Team name: CS Squared Project name: Monsters (tentative) Brief description: My friend and I have been slowly developing a new tower defense game with C4, tentatively called Monsters, in our free time and now we're looking for some outside he... 
Posted June 23, 2010 2:17:07 PM
Physics Library for Java (Android) Has anyone been able to get a 2d physics engine running at a decent frame rate on a mobile device w/ Java (specifically Android)? I've been working off a tutorial which uses JBox2D, but it slows to a crawl even with just a few physics objects. ... 
Posted May 13, 2009 6:57:35 PM
Rotate vector 90 degrees to the right Given one normalized 2D vector, how can I get the vector that is rotated 90 degrees to the right about the z-axis? So given a vector of (0, 1), how would I get the vector (1, 0)? I used to know how to do this... something like: Vector2D rig... 
Posted October 23, 2009 12:02:13 AM
Need concept artist & 3D modeler/texture artist for FPS game Team name: Unequa Project name: The Red States (working title) Brief description: This project is a FPS single player game based in a post-World War III San Francisco in 1984 during the Russian and Cuban occupancy. I (currently being th... 
Posted August 11, 2009 8:43:40 PM
Equalmeans.net (code samples) is back up with a new name. I used to have a site up at equalmeans.net with a bunch of code samples, which I took down for a while. But for all those people that emailed me asking for code, I decided to reopen the site under a new name. http://www.applicachia.com/index.php ... 
Posted October 10, 2008 8:29:37 PM
Get inherited class object Using the example below, how could I get the Character from the Object level? class Object { public: Object(void); ~Object(void); virtual Object* Get(void); }; class Character : public Object { public: Character(void); ~Chara... 
Posted February 20, 2008 5:27:43 PM
Importance of lightmaps? Although lightmaps are still widely used in many of the most current engines (Unreal Engine 3, Source Engine, etc..), are they still needed? I ask this only because I have a half-written engine which uses dynamic lighting only (very Doom 3... 
Posted January 14, 2008 6:45:21 PM
3d point of model from 2d texture coordinate Basically I'm trying to obtain the 3d position of a 2d texture coordinate on a 3d model, given the 3d position and 2d texture coordinate of the 3 points of the triangle which the 2d texture coordinate is on. I attempted to take a linear ap... 
Posted August 26, 2007 10:26:33 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
hierarchical matrices in directx I think I may have just solved my own problem, this seems to work: I just changed this line: subNodeWorldTransform = rootNodeLocalTransform * subNodeLocalTransform; To this: subNodeWorldTransform = subNodeLocalTransform * rootNodeLocalT... 
Posted October 8, 2010 3:32:33 PM
Best Game Engine for Indie Game? I haven't looked at this thread since I started it, but I just put up a complete list of all the engines mentioned in the first post. 
Posted September 22, 2010 11:52:07 PM
[PAID] Need 3D & 2D modelers/designers and sound engineer for tower defense game Thanks Brianna, I'm checking out your portfolio now. 
Posted June 25, 2010 1:34:31 PM
[PAID] Need 3D & 2D modelers/designers and sound engineer for tower defense game Any help is greatly appreciated! 
Posted June 24, 2010 1:26:04 PM
Can any one help me? If you're making the models yourself, most X file exporters have the option to export to either a binary or non-binary format. From there it's just a matter of reading the file in (probably with DirectX) and parsing it. 
Posted December 11, 2009 12:15:22 AM
Put Textures in a Texture (MultiTextures) Nice to see someone is getting some use out of my website. The reason you're most likely getting compilation errors is because I wrote that code 4 years ago and there is some stuff that no longer works. Open up the file TextureBlending.fx, and chan... 
Posted December 10, 2009 11:23:20 PM
Rotate vector 90 degrees to the right Ah.. yeah I think that's what I was looking for _fastcall, thanks. And dirToTarg is the initial vector (1, 0) that I wanted to rotate. 
Posted October 23, 2009 1:21:50 AM
The Hunt - ShiVa 3D technical demo Very nice, it's refreshing to see such a polished project. 
Posted August 26, 2009 12:37:05 PM
Best Game Engine for Indie Game? @jyk I had actually never heard of Unity before. I downloaded it and took a look, that's definitely a very nice, professional engine. I'll have to take a serious look into that one. @zebeste I don't want to take anything away from any... 
Posted June 25, 2009 1:25:51 PM
Best Game Engine for Indie Game? @blitzwing So far I am the only programmer, I wanted to look at all the engines and decide on a technology before getting any more programmers. The only real need for the $1k license was to get the "advanced lighting", which is just... 
Posted June 25, 2009 12:50:04 AM
View All Replies Made By This User