Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Volgut...  
Full Name Volgut 
Nickname Volgut 
State/Province, Country Oslo   Norway
GD Gathering City Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.vistechnologies.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title CEO, Founder 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1104  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 1/13/2002 4:21:32 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Atmospheric Scattering and dark sky Hello, I am trying to implement atmospheric scattering effect based on O'Neils implementation from GPUGems2. Almost everything seems to be fine, but the sky colour is too dark. I already spent several hours trying to understand the problem an... 
Posted October 6, 2010 11:38:52 AM
Shader cache Hello, I would like to implement a shader cache which will store all compiled shaders in a file. Shader will be re-compiled if source file has been changed - otherwise compiled shader will be used directly from the cache file. I am not very fam... 
Posted July 12, 2010 11:48:28 AM
[solved] Detecting debugger Hello, I would like to add a special dialog box to my assert function which will show different information depends if the application runs under Visual Studio or not. Does anyone know if there is a function in VS which I can use to detect the deb... 
Posted March 12, 2010 5:22:22 PM
MRT support Hello! I am working on my 3D engine and some time ago I implemented Deferred Rendering. I am using 4 surfaces with different formats: - D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F (HDR color) - 8 bytes/pixel - D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8 (normal, specular) - 4 bytes/pixel ... 
Posted May 25, 2009 7:43:56 AM
MRT and multisampling Hello, I am using deferred rendering in my 3D engine which is based on DirectX9. I would like to improve a quality of my final image by using anti-aliasing. I know, that in the past it was not possible to use multisampling with multiple rende... 
Posted February 21, 2009 8:34:37 AM
Project 2501 Hi! I am finally done with my demo called "Project 2501" on which I was working in my spare time for a couple of months. Demo is using my own graphics engine. Main features are: - easy to use shader system providing following effects: bump... 
Posted August 30, 2006 12:17:55 AM
Hardware instancing Hello, I implemented hardware instancing in my 3D engine and I am getting some performance issues. My test scene contains 100 objects and each one has 30k triangles, so in total I am rendering around 3M triangles. Without instancing I am gett... 
Posted October 8, 2008 5:29:39 AM
Antialiased image and capturing video Hello, I want to capture video from my DirectX application, but I have one problem. I need to access back buffer data. I can do this by creating off screen surface in system memory and in each frame copy back buffer to this surface. Then I ca... 
Posted April 29, 2006 7:37:27 AM
Antialiased render targets Hi! I want to render my scene to 2 render targets (surfaces) by using SetRenderTarget(). Everything works fine when I am not using antialiasing, but if I set multisampling type different than D3DMULTISAMPLE_NONE then nothing is being rendered to m... 
Posted April 7, 2006 10:30:48 AM
Depth in perspective shadowmap Hello, Currently I'm working on shadows and I have one problem with perspective shadowmaps. I'm rendering my scene from light position to special depth texture. I would like to have linear distance from light to all objects (pixels). In... 
Posted March 9, 2005 6:12:49 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
NFAA - A Post-Process Anti-Aliasing Filter (Results, Implementation Details). Yes, you are right. The vector should be only scaled by variable called "filterStrength". 
Posted September 9, 2010 2:17:12 AM
NFAA - A Post-Process Anti-Aliasing Filter (Results, Implementation Details). Hello Styves, Thank you for helping me :) Your code was very useful. I only modified it a bit and I implemented normal scale/offset based on pixel distance from the camera. With fixed scale/offset I was getting some artefacts in the dist... 
Posted September 3, 2010 9:10:21 AM
NFAA - A Post-Process Anti-Aliasing Filter (Results, Implementation Details). Hello, I was looking for a good anti-aliasing technique for my deferred rendering for a long time. Your idea sounds very interesting and I would like to test it in my engine, but I am not sure if I fully understood how it works. How exactly do you... 
Posted September 2, 2010 5:25:38 AM
Shader cache The only reason why I was thinking about shader cache is to avoid run-time stalls. And no, I can't compile all shaders at a start up of my app, because as Hodgman said, that would take too much time. I have around 5 "super shaders" and every... 
Posted July 13, 2010 6:22:48 AM
Shader cache I am a bit surprised that it's not possible to load a shader in a binary format, because as I know it's not a problem under DirectX. Anyway, thanks for the answer. 
Posted July 12, 2010 2:28:48 PM
Shader cache My application uses many variations of several shaders and I need to access them at any time. For example - if I enable a point light, then several shaders need to be re-compiled to include point light computations. Currently it stops the whole appli... 
Posted July 12, 2010 12:43:15 PM
[solved] Detecting debugger Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for :-) Regards, Tomasz 
Posted March 13, 2010 3:41:21 AM
MRT support Thank you. I will test that. I am using GeForce 9800GX2, but I also tested my engine on 8800GTX. Regards, Tomasz 
Posted May 25, 2009 8:33:12 AM
MRT and multisampling Thank you very much. For now I will use supersampling and probably in a near future I will start porting my 3D engine to DirectX 10. Regards, Tomasz 
Posted February 22, 2009 11:06:25 AM
Hardware instancing Thanks for the reply. Also one of my first ideas about poor performance was to modify the pixel shader, so I changed it to output singe color, but it didn't help. My application runs at around 40FPS, because in my test scene I am using HDR rende... 
Posted October 8, 2008 8:44:33 AM
View All Replies Made By This User