Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Dirge...  
Full Name Aurelio 
Nickname Dirge 
State/Province, Country TX   United States
GD Gathering City Dallas, TX, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.CodeFortress.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Programmer 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1133  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/29/2000 12:42:58 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
exp(-x) vs 1 - x Can someone please explain to me the main mathematical difference between exp(-x) and 1 - x when 1>x>0? Visualizing the numbers on a graph they appear quite similar, essentially an inversion where the exp is more on a slow curve, but... 
Posted July 21, 2010 6:45:12 PM
glLogicOp in D3D Does anyone know of a way to do bitwise logic operations on the framebuffer write, similar to what glLogicOp does in OpenGL using Direct3D 9? 
Posted February 17, 2010 2:26:24 AM
3D Mesh to Volume Texture Can anyone recommend any good algorithms for converting a 3D Polygonal Mesh to a Volume (3D) Texture (or voxelized data)? Specifically I'm looking for a way to do this with some level of hardware acceleration (D3D9 level hardware). One idea I've h... 
Posted February 12, 2010 5:02:56 PM
Server Update Rate vs. Transmit Rate Perhaps a stupid question, but in a client/server based architecture, does it make sense to run server simulation code at the same rate as the packet/snapshot transmission rate? i.e. Simulation runs at 15fps (66ms) and includes things like updatin... 
Posted August 12, 2009 7:03:56 PM
Input Messages So a little while back I implemented an input messaging system based on the observer design pattern that would notify anybody observing an input device whenever an input event occurs (i.e. mouse movement, button pressed...). I've found this to b... 
Posted July 8, 2009 6:43:34 PM
File organization survey Inquiring minds must know! How do you organize your source and header files? Include and Source directories? i.e. Codebase/Include/Foo.h, Codebase/Source/Foo.cpp OR Codebase/Foo.h, Codebase/Foo.cpp etc... OR Some other way? What ar... 
Posted May 31, 2009 7:04:20 PM
Visual Studio keeps renaming my files!! If I have two instances of visual studio open where there are edits being applied from both, on occasion, visual studio will rename a file to all lower-case characters. This is not such a big deal except that this literally changes the name of t... 
Posted May 11, 2009 10:29:18 AM
Lit Glass and Robot...? I hate to have to ask like this but I've been looking for ever now: Does anyone remember an image of the day a while back with a robot inside a glass tube, or something like that? It has great lighting effects. There were a few interesting rendering... 
Posted January 6, 2009 12:00:02 PM
Which is faster: loading compressed or uncompressed texture Specifically I'm interested to know if on an embedded platform with solid state storage, the act of loading a small texture and decompressing it to a larger buffer is faster than loading a much larger uncompressed texture. I'm assuming that sinc... 
Posted December 5, 2008 11:57:30 AM
Fonts w/ single channel So I'm writing my font renderer for a low level embedded system which uses OpenGL ES and I have a slight dilemma I thought I'd pick your brains about. I'm exporting bitmap fonts uncompressed as tga and I'd like to save on the memory (for obvi... 
Posted November 27, 2008 8:05:35 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
exp(-x) vs 1 - x I'm likely using the wrong terms but am surprised I'm completely unintelligible to you smart gents. :-) I'll break it down and maybe you guys could correct me. Please don't misinterpret this reply as me getting defensive -- I really just want to make... 
Posted July 22, 2010 1:03:03 PM
exp(-x) vs 1 - x Sneftel: I'm afraid you may have misunderstood. I was inquiring about the mathematical similarities between two seemingly related functions. Their similarities in output could have been incidental but intuitively it feels like they have meaning. Than... 
Posted July 22, 2010 12:25:20 AM
3D Mesh to Volume Texture PolyVox: The technique in that GPU Gems article was exactly what I was thinking for with the stencil buffer approach. The downside again is that polygons in line to the view direction are missed since there are no pixels visible for the stencil test.... 
Posted February 14, 2010 3:53:56 PM
Practical Tips for Independent Game Development Absolutely phenomenal article! Thank you so much for this excellent contribution. 
Posted September 15, 2009 2:26:42 PM
Input Messages The previous way had less coupling in that any message type was strictly limited to and enforced by the observer/observable that used them. In addition, message types were anonymous and notifications could come directly from the source since that obs... 
Posted July 10, 2009 2:04:58 PM
Input Messages Alright, so I implemented the method I described and it works well, for the most part. There are some things that are not so elegantbut in general I think it works better. What I did was made a message system that allows classes to register themse... 
Posted July 10, 2009 10:46:51 AM
Advantage of multiple vertex streams? On modern (i.e. next-gen) consoles there is a significant performance penalty for using multiple streams but it really just depends on how you use it -- it's a very context specific and in some cases algorithm specific thing. Ex: If you're using... 
Posted June 10, 2009 11:49:17 AM
File organization survey Sorry, I shouldn't have narrowed it down to c/c++ codebases. This subject relates to large codebases of any language. Let me pose an additional question; How useful would it be to have a number of sub-directories as an additional organizational st... 
Posted May 31, 2009 11:06:10 PM
Visual Studio keeps renaming my files!! MrBastard: Indeed, I'm with you 100% here. I do use solution level project dependencies but prefer to be explicit with what I link in anyways so can do without. I'm inclined to believe this is an idiosyncrasy of visual studio that can not be easil... 
Posted May 11, 2009 2:12:38 PM
Visual Studio keeps renaming my files!! _moagstar_: Unfortunately that's not an option. The reason there are two solutions is that one solution contains the engine code and the other the game logic specific code and that can't change. Since the engine is still in heavy development, I... 
Posted May 11, 2009 12:26:57 PM
View All Replies Made By This User