Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know SGreth...  
Full Name Rob Zimmerman
Nickname SGreth 
State/Province, Country NH   United States
GD Gathering City Nashua, NH, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.sgreth.com 
ICQ ID 209258125 
AIM ID oOSGrethOo 
Yahoo IM ID oosgrethoo 
Current Occupation
Job Title Game Developer Wannabe 
Job Description Long nights in front of a glowing screen. 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1079  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 6/20/2000 7:45:37 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Can an HLSL pixel shader check if a texture stage is bound? In short I'm looking to check if a texture is bound to texture stage 0. If it is, sample that register, otherwise, just use the vertex color. I couldn't find any built-in HLSL functions to query if a texture stage was bound or not. (note: this shader... 
Posted February 7, 2006 10:04:20 PM
Can an effect technique be called multiple times per begin/end scene? I'm using an effect/technique to render two seperate objects. The first time I use the shader I bind TextureA to it and draw. The second time I use the shader I bind TextureB and draw. Oddly enough, the textures used for the objects are opposite what... 
Posted February 7, 2006 5:08:10 PM
Most efficient way to update/render particles? This is more a query for 'how did you implement it' rather than a 'how do you code it'. In the past, I've always locked the vertex buffer, and then updated the geometry of each particle, then done one big render on the buffer. I suppose alt... 
Posted July 18, 2005 1:05:34 PM
Welcome! Welcome to all the invites I sent out from the Boston area! ~S'Greth 
Posted May 17, 2005 7:32:20 PM
Using Global Variables in .fx files I have a real simple vertex shader to test out an idea. I'm looking to modify the color of every other vertex in a stream. Using the effect framework, is it legal to have a "global" variable that I just increment, then mod it by two (looking for odd... 
Posted August 21, 2004 8:59:33 PM
D3DXInverseMatrix() isn't 100% accurate... I'm not sure if anyone else has seen this but here is my scenario. D3DXMATRIX mInvView; D3DXMATRIX mView = m_pCurrentCamera->GetViewMatrix(); D3DXMatrixInverse( &mInvView, NULL, &mView ); In this example my view matrix is setup as so... 
Posted June 15, 2004 9:35:48 AM
Who handles collision detection/response? In a client/server archetecture who should handle the collision detection? Consider the following, somewhat complicated, solution. -Each client does their own collision detection of their object (say the space ship they’re flying). -The ser... 
Posted January 18, 2004 12:17:37 PM
D3DTA_TEMP support I’m wondering if there is any documentation or general knowledge about how wide-spread the support for this option is on various graphics cards? i.e. in case you were wondering what this parameter is from, it’s from SetTextureSta... 
Posted October 15, 2003 4:19:23 PM
Gimbal Lock with Quaternions! Eeek! I’m obviously doing something wrong to get gimbal lock while using quaternions! Any help would be *greatly* appreciated. void CModelReference::RotateX(float fDegrees) { //Cook up a temp quaternion. D3DXQUATERNION qTemp; D3DXVECTOR3 ... 
Posted August 21, 2003 9:44:33 PM
Have you seen this DirectVoice Error Code? DVERR_NOVOICESESSION This error code has been haunting me for the last 2 days. It’s what’s being returned by IDirectPlayVoiceClient::Connect(). (Note: I’m using DX 8.1). My server works just fine. I verrified it’s functiona... 
Posted May 26, 2003 3:04:02 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Plasma Pong 1.2 Simply amazing...awesome work! 
Posted May 10, 2006 8:25:09 PM
Can an HLSL pixel shader check if a texture stage is bound? Yeah, the option of having dead code, or an branch for every vertex...the choice was obvious :) 
Posted February 8, 2006 9:03:28 AM
Can an HLSL pixel shader check if a texture stage is bound? Yeah, this morning I was considering either doing that, or setting a global shader boolean parameter indicating if the sampler should be used. I'll just bind the two technique types as that would be less of a performance hit. Thanks guys, ~S'Gre... 
Posted February 8, 2006 8:53:26 AM
Can an effect technique be called multiple times per begin/end scene? Bingo! That was it, thanks a bunch. I'm going through converting all my old fixed-function stuff to use the effect framework. It's been going way too smooth until that little kink. If that's the only bump in the road this isn't too bad :) Tha... 
Posted February 7, 2006 5:19:36 PM
Most efficient way to update/render particles? Thanks a bunch guys, I'll probably employ the periodic updates scheme, but I honestly odon't plan on having housands of particle counts. Remember, this is just a simple breakout clone :) I just don't wanna implement the particle system half-asse... 
Posted July 19, 2005 7:10:15 AM
Most efficient way to update/render particles? That makes complete sense. I wasn't really considering doing batches that large, but my concerns were mostly if there was a more efficient way of doing translation other than locking down the vertex buffer and trolling through it. It just seems like... 
Posted July 18, 2005 1:31:41 PM
GameDev.net acquires NeHe Productions I learned OpenGL from NeHe back when the site started and I've been following it ever since. Jeff's been through some serious ups & downs with the site and I hope he made out with a good deal from the gamedev team. He's put his heart & soul into that... 
Posted June 28, 2005 1:07:13 PM
Hello Like GDC Boston :D 
Posted June 21, 2005 8:01:45 PM
Hello Quote:Original post by llamaSong Hello Boston!!! Helloooooo Llama! 
Posted May 31, 2005 7:58:00 AM
Hello No kidding, small world indeed! Full Sail eh? I'm totally jealous :) 
Posted May 31, 2005 7:56:39 AM
View All Replies Made By This User