Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Ysaneya...  
Full Name Flavien Brebion
Nickname Ysaneya 
State/Province, Country Brabant   Belgium
GD Gathering City Brussels, Brabant, Belgium
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.fl-tw.com/Infinity/ 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Graphics programmer 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1734  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 1/7/2000 2:00:54 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Infinity's planetary engine I have reached a major milestone in the development of Infinity, my space-based, Elite-inspired MMO. A new video has been posted on my website. It demonstrates the seamless, planetary terrain engine. It also shows a new procedural terrain tex... 
Posted December 21, 2005 1:56:52 AM
Geolocation library Is anybody aware of a (preferably free and open-source) library for IP geolocation ? One that works under a variety of OSes (Linux + Windows at least) ? Y.  
Posted May 28, 2009 1:19:56 PM
Infinity Combat Prototype 2.1 The screenshots above are partially from the Infinity Combat Prototype 2.1, released yesterday, and experimental shots from the Infinity planetary engine. Infinity is a massively multiplayer online game under development that aims at recreati... 
Posted December 16, 2006 10:48:33 PM
GL_LUMINANCE8_ALPHA8 renderable texture format I'm looking for a renderable texture format (used by FBO) that will work on shader model 3.0+ cards ( ATI + Nvidia ) and that has two channels int8. The goal is to save as much video texture memory as possible, as I have a lot of textures. Of... 
Posted February 3, 2009 6:08:38 AM
Contexts are not independent ? I'm starting to play with AS and I have a question about contexts. My understanding of contexts is limited, and I was assuming that contexts were independent of each other, so that if the same script code was executed, the global variables could hold... 
Posted October 10, 2008 11:00:00 AM
Fast computed noise In this thread I'm going to speak of some experiments I've been making on 3D noise generated on the GPU. Reference test The reference 3D noise implementation is from Stefan Gustavson in GLSL. Here is the thread about it with a link to... 
Posted July 28, 2008 9:39:16 AM
AABB to sphere It is very easy to compute the bounding sphere to an AABB: - use center of box as sphere origin - use distance between center and a corner as sphere radius. Now my question is simply: is there a way to compute this same sphere, but without using... 
Posted June 15, 2008 7:48:41 AM
Procedural planet textures.. generated on-the-fly These are screenshots from Infinity, my independent Elite-inspired MMO in development. Since my last set of IOTD, i've been working on generating procedural textures for the planet's surface, and that's what i came up with. The technique i... 
Posted September 29, 2005 9:16:30 AM
Infinity's procedural planetary engine Some new pictures of Infinity's procedural seamless planetary engine. The space pictures show a procedural Earth-like planet seen from space with a few spaceships in orbit (those aren't procedural of course, but the whole planet is). They are lit... 
Posted March 19, 2008 1:29:39 PM
Seamless tiling Perlin noise I'm looking for good references on how to implement seamless, tiling Perlin noise. So far, everything I've found on google has been useless. As I understand it, there are two approaches to tile Perlin noise. 1. Interpolating N noises... 
Posted January 24, 2008 11:45:46 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
The possible future of games For a technology that claims to have unlimited details, I certainly believe that the end result looks crap. Now, I understand those guys are no artists, and that's fine, the colors are horribly chosen and the scene is repetitive, but I don't mind. ... 
Posted April 23, 2010 7:20:31 AM
If you could get permission to remake a game, what would it be? Magic Carpet :)  
Posted April 19, 2010 4:17:12 AM
TitaniumGL, opengl multiwrapper for your game (opengl,d3d,multicore soft-render) If your market are small indy developers that release small plat-form/puzzle games, there could be an interest for it. However I agree with other posters that to be more generally useful, it needs to support GL 2. No offense, but Quake 3 and Retur... 
Posted April 15, 2010 4:37:17 AM
Perlin(ish) noise, and floating point precision. Quote:Original post by bluntman Ah, exactly who I was thinking of when I said "someone" :). Thanks for the reply! So on your planets, what detail level do you actually go to? Have you made them 100% real world scale, or just close enough to lo... 
Posted April 13, 2010 4:44:53 AM
How screwed am I? My advice would be to take another year (assuming you can financially afford it) and complete a good demo that you will show to employers in a year. After all, at this point, 4 or 5 years won't make a difference to an employer, but having a working d... 
Posted April 12, 2010 4:51:30 AM
Perlin(ish) noise, and floating point precision. I've run into this exact problem, and spent a lot of time trying to find a solution with moderate success. One thing that helps a bit is to change the input to fp64 (doubles) but keep as much of the algorithm as possible as fp32 for performance r... 
Posted April 12, 2010 4:31:50 AM
i've managed to develop an algorithm that speeds up ray tracing by up to 3 times! Easy. Don't cast rays. Cast teapots. It's much faster.  
Posted April 2, 2010 4:36:25 AM
Windows 7 search [rant] Windows search is a joke. Since Vista. I just don't get it either. Nothing better than SearchIndexer.exe popping in your task manager and stealing CPU resources while you're in the middle of optimizing and benchmarking your code. Can't Microsoft l... 
Posted March 26, 2010 5:27:54 AM
Geometry shader performance and usability? Using a geometry shader, you can generate the 4 vertices for a particle on the GPU. I'd love to know how you can do that with the tesselator, since each particle is basically a single vertex.. I agree, the GS is here to stay.  
Posted March 23, 2010 5:54:44 AM
OUTCAST redone - how cool is that? I think this link is appropriate considering the discussion: Activision shuts down The Silver Lining (King's Quest remake) Y.  
Posted March 1, 2010 1:52:23 PM
View All Replies Made By This User