Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know issch...  GDNet+
Full Name Daniel Kersten
Nickname issch 
State/Province, Country Dublin   Ireland
GD Gathering City Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://clojure-games.org 
ICQ ID people still use this? 
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1166  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 10/5/2002 8:51:15 PM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net//journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
SSE intrinsics: Extracting floats from __m128 Hi, I am mucking about with some SSE code at the moment and I'm a little confuzed about unpacking 4 packed floats from __m128's. Originally, I used the union trick (or one of the variants that use structs instead of an array of floats): ... 
Posted December 12, 2010 3:34:20 AM
Clojure game development wiki Hi everyone, I am setting up a wiki for game development in Clojure (and in the future, perhaps other functional languages). There isn't a lot of content there yet - I hope to fill the site out a bit more over Christmas - but I have tried to colle... 
Posted November 18, 2010 10:09:59 AM
Can we please be more careful with our heirlooms! (RPG rant) I'm a long-time RPG fan and have been playing a few lately and.. this drives me crazy! Why why why don't people watch their important/valuable/whatever heirlooms better? Every RPG is crammed full of quests from friends and strangers alike to recover... 
Posted June 4, 2010 8:00:46 PM
I need help converting between coordinate systems Since I'm not very good at explaining, heres an image: What I'm trying to do is, given the position of a person in a room, I want to draw an image on screen, but I want the user to be able to specify the shape of the room suing a quadril... 
Posted April 7, 2008 11:21:23 AM
Scheme - lists and procedure arguments Lets say I have a procedure like this: (define (some-procedure a b c d) (some-code)) and a list like this: (list 1 2 3) How could I pass the elements of the list to the parameters expected by the procedure (ie: a -> 1, b -> 2 and c... 
Posted February 12, 2008 1:39:38 PM
Soundcards and HRTF Can anyone recommend a sound card with good hardware accelerated HRTF capabilities? I need as good 3D sound localization as possible, in real time and I figured the simplest way to achieve this is with the aid of hardware HRTF. I am using FMOD for t... 
Posted February 4, 2008 2:15:50 PM
Linus Torvalds, Unprofessional? I was reading this, this and this post. What does gamedev think of his completely unprofessional attitude? Quite frankly, it disgusts me enough that I'm considering replacing my use of linux with one of the BSD's. I'd rather not rely on s... 
Posted September 7, 2007 6:36:46 AM
Geforce 7600GT vs Geforce 8400GS I'm currently using a Geforce 7600GT in my desktop at home (which I use for gaming and gamedev) and have been offered a Geforce 8400GS in work. Since the 8400 is a DirectX 10 card, I'm considering using that instead, but I don't know how it compares... 
Posted August 27, 2007 5:39:50 AM
Math, need advice I wasn't sure if this should be posted here or in the Math & Physics forum, but seing as this is related to graphics, I chose here. Apologies if the Math & Physics forum is more suitable. I think it's about time I brushed up on my math skil... 
Posted September 4, 2007 3:47:11 PM
Need help with C++ pooled memory management In my game I have certain objects which get allocated and deallocated quite often, so instead of using plain new X/delete X, I would like to preallocate these objects and reuse the memory. My question is about placement new and memory alignment. ... 
Posted August 21, 2007 3:37:41 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Good Game Engine Sneftel, what IDE would you recommend for UnrealScript? 
Posted December 19, 2010 11:50:56 AM
Linux use and development, finally... Mostly, I use C++, Python and Clojure. I use QtCreator for C++ (on both Windows and Linux), even if the project does not use Qt. For Python, I usually use Geany and for Clojure (and everything else, really), I use Vim. With a little configuring, V... 
Posted December 19, 2010 10:55:14 AM
SSE intrinsics: Extracting floats from __m128 Thanks for the replies! Thats cleared it up. I don't expect to need to access the elements individually very often. Outside of my SSE code, I would usually want to store all 4 floats at once, eg, to pass to OpenGL or something like that. 
Posted December 13, 2010 2:20:49 PM
SSE intrinsics: Extracting floats from __m128 You're right. It is not that common of an operation and storing all four at once will work perfectly well for most cases. I mean, if the code reads and writes single elements a lot, then its probably gaining nothing from SSE. Having said tha... 
Posted December 12, 2010 8:52:12 AM
If WW3 occurs within the next 6 months, thank WikiLeaks Quote:Original post by trzy If Assange is so interested in unearthing dirty secrets, he should look for material from the world's authoritarian regimes, like Iran, China, or North Korea. But he won't because he has an axe to grind against the US (an... 
Posted December 6, 2010 1:03:45 AM
Social ramifications of green skinned space babes Quote:Original post by owl It'd be very interesting if the aliens happened to be 100 times more hot than the hottest human (according to our standards). I for one welcome our new gorgeous overlords! The likely scenario here, I imagine, woul... 
Posted December 6, 2010 12:39:14 AM
Is it the future yet? (Parallel Game Architecture) Thanks for the link! 
Posted December 2, 2010 9:26:32 PM
What do you thread? Quote:Original post by phantom In short; forget about threads. Thinking in tasks is the way forward [grin] Completely agree.  
Posted December 2, 2010 3:52:09 PM
What do you thread? Besides splitting certain things into their own threads, if you are using C++, Intels Threading Building Blocks will help you to process things in parallel like frob is suggesting. 
Posted December 2, 2010 2:09:26 PM
Is it the future yet? (Parallel Game Architecture) Antheus, I completely agree. My point is that languages, libraries and APIs exist but multicore programming is still hard (certainly much harder than sequential programming) and I think that this is mostly[1] an education problem. [1] Mostly becau... 
Posted December 2, 2010 1:31:34 PM
View All Replies Made By This User