Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know simonjacoby...  
Full Name Simon Jacoby
Nickname simonjacoby 
State/Province, Country Skane Lan   Sweden
GD Gathering City Malmo, Skane Lan, Sweden
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.southend.se 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1260  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 1/19/2006 8:23:34 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Bit operations using arithmetic in PS2.0/3.0 Hi, I need to check if individual bits are set in a byte (single channel 8-bit texture). Is it possible to do this using arithmetic instead of bit operations in PS2.0/3.0? I know there's real bit ops in 4.0/5.0, but I have PS2.0/3.0 platform c... 
Posted September 5, 2010 10:17:15 AM
Depth of field with real bokeh? Hi, just played Alan Wake. They have a really nice depth of field effect, with what seems like real bokeh, and it's seems *really* fast. I've seen some shaders with bokeh before, but they are all slow (Metro 2033's diffusion DOF for example, looks... 
Posted July 5, 2010 8:05:20 AM
[SOLVED] Color reduction / Generating optimized palette Hi, does anyone know how to do this properly? I need to write some (c++) code that compresses a number of 24-bit colors to a palette representation, finding the set of colors that most accurately represents the source image (without using any dith... 
Posted May 26, 2010 3:34:35 AM
Include file problem, but not a n00b question ) Hi, I'm "porting" a large C++/Pro*C application to VS2008. It currently uses imake to generate makefiles, which are then compiled using the old VC6 compiler. There are also makefiles for unix, as the app runs in an Unix environment during producti... 
Posted May 20, 2009 12:14:03 PM
Switchball EDIT: Due to large number of downloads, please try this mirror: http://www.flaminglamer.org/sbdemo_setup_0.1.1.exe If it is busy, you can use the link below: http://www.atomicelbow.com/files/sbdemo_setup_0.1.1.exe Thanks! /Simon -----... 
Posted February 1, 2006 11:23:03 PM
D3D guy learning OpenGL Hi, I'm an experienced D3D programmer learning OpenGL. I've just read the OpenGL reference manual, but found it a bit skimpy on some of the details. So I thought I'd ask some of you OpenGL gurus out there about it :) 1, Is there a mechanis... 
Posted November 6, 2007 3:39:10 PM
Switchball History Hi everybody! About 1.5 years ago, we posted a screenshot from a small demo that we had been working on, a game called Switchball. We got really good responses, and many of you guys really helped us with great ideas and criticism on the... 
Posted June 27, 2007 10:59:29 AM
Do any of you guys know this? Hi guys, sorry for the rather cryptic title, but I'm looking for an old demo (as in a demo-scene-party demo). I don't know who's done it, but what was special about it was that the entire thing used some sort of rendering that made it look like a... 
Posted December 9, 2006 9:03:35 PM
Landscape renderer After seeing the other IOTD's about landscape rendering, I remembered an old landscape renderer i wrote a couple of years ago. The landscape on the image is rendered on a GeForce 4200 Ti. I generated the heightmap with WorldMachine, an e... 
Posted October 30, 2006 11:31:18 PM
Need advice regarding high-quality offline-rendering Hi, I'd like to learn more about doing really realistic rendering using high-end offline techniques. I'd like to know how what algorithms leading 3D modellers / renderers (such as maya, 3d studio max, lightwave etc) are using, and try to implement... 
Posted July 30, 2006 10:20:01 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Real-time and Automatic Depth of Field blur in Quake 3 Arena Very nice! Care to share how you avoid the leaks? Good work :) [EDIT] Sorry, I didn't notice the date... 
Posted October 1, 2010 5:03:47 AM
Bit operations using arithmetic in PS2.0/3.0 I never even considered baking a LUT, but that's a really good idea if the pow2/int conversions take alot of cycles. Thanks again!  
Posted September 7, 2010 11:35:03 AM
Bit operations using arithmetic in PS2.0/3.0 Thanks for the tips! Now to see what the shader compiler makes of that formula ;) Cheers, Simon 
Posted September 5, 2010 1:45:47 PM
Shader-Based Engine I would opt for option #2. It's not as bad as it sounds, because you can create your own library/utility functions that your shaders re-use, so when you create a new effect, you just #include the needed files (like you would if coding regular C/C++).... 
Posted July 20, 2010 2:09:36 AM
Shader-Based Engine Here are some tips: 1. Sort batches by shader first (VBO / texture / etc second). This will ensure that states remain between draw calls. 2. Sort states into three categories: per-frame, per-batch and per-instance 3. Only update the stat... 
Posted July 19, 2010 10:58:07 AM
Depth of field with real bokeh? Great stuff! Thanks guys :) 
Posted July 5, 2010 4:14:21 PM
Depth of field with real bokeh? Just found an answer to my own question: A guy called Sebastian has updated the post-effect shaders for Crysis to do bokeh. Here's a link: http://crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=59961&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=1 Gorgeous stuff.  
Posted July 5, 2010 8:48:45 AM
Alpha, How to get rid on selfblend? A problem with the suggested approach is that you must consider depth to be able to composite the separate render target correctly. A simpler way is to sort the characters back-to-front, and then draw the characters in two passes: first draw Z-onl... 
Posted June 1, 2010 6:55:57 AM
DX9 Best way to move big images I'm guessing that the reason this is happening is because your graphics chip is running HyperMemory. Basically, that means that although you think you have 512MB graphics memory, you in fact only have something like 16 or 32 MB. The rest is take... 
Posted May 28, 2010 4:13:12 AM
[SOLVED] Color reduction / Generating optimized palette Sure. I was looking for ways of minimizing the size of the vertex format I'm using. Instead of storing the vertex color explicitly as a DWORD (as is common practice), I thought I might use a palettized approach, and only store the index to a... 
Posted May 26, 2010 3:56:37 PM
View All Replies Made By This User