Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know skow...  
Full Name  
Nickname skow 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.skowonline.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1099  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 3/16/2002 2:19:51 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Sigma Triad A few screen shots of the client I built for the project Sigma Triad. It’s a MMORTS game being built by a few of us who meet here on gamedev. Check out endgameinteractive.com for more. 
Posted October 9, 2005 4:15:24 PM
Critique my networking plan This is my first shot of doing the networking side of a game and would love some feedback of my plan for a rts/rpg style game. 1) Both the server and all clients will run the game simulation in their own thread locked at 20 FPS. 2) Parts of... 
Posted October 15, 2007 12:10:17 AM
Checking for server updates with TCP/IP without polling Sorry if this is a trivial networking question; I am making the jump from pure graphics programmer to starting on networking. I'm looking to create a main server that handles messages such as basic chat. While its is quite obvious how to sen... 
Posted October 7, 2007 12:20:17 PM
Line smoothing no longer working on modern hardware? I must admit that I haven’t used GL_LINES in years, but now that I need to use them, I cannot manage to get the lines to anti-alias. I’ve google’d around to make sure I’m not forgetting anything. I do recall reading some glHints aren’t even used... 
Posted April 21, 2007 11:44:25 AM
Raytracing via shaders Sorry if this has already been discussed in detail here, I could not find such a post on it. I’m thinking of creating a real-time ray tracer project and was hoping to get a little input; make sure I have a sound plan before starting. This woul... 
Posted March 16, 2007 9:38:28 PM
Yet another terrain engine with water Yet another terrain engine with water. A terrain engine I made about a year ago. I never finished it as I got distracted by work and my other 3d project. Can’t have the image of the day drying up, so I figured I would post a few screnies. Forgiv... 
Posted November 29, 2005 1:48:34 PM
Hours in the game dev industry? What are some typical hours some of you who are working game dev lifestyle working? At some point in life I decided to sell my soul and become a consultant, ending up working some pretty ridiculous hours. As programmers, are we doomed to wor... 
Posted August 21, 2006 10:27:44 PM
Mythros: Some more terrain A while back I posted some screen shots of a terrain engine I had worked on. The project then died a terrible death as I started working with all my spare time on a space game project. Well now our game dev team has decided to scale down... 
Posted April 30, 2006 7:46:23 PM
Speeding up bone animation. Currently I got some skeletal animation running purely on the CPU and I’m not very happy with the results. I’m using quaternions for rotation and doing a spherical linear interpolation to get the quaterion between the 2 key frame quaternions.... 
Posted May 22, 2006 1:41:46 AM
Mythros: Team vs Team RPG looking for webdesigner/3d character artist (SSs included) Team name: Endgame Interactive We are a group that has been around for almost 3 years now. For those who frequent this board, you may have seen our previous project; the MMORTS Sigma Triad (In the list of teams that can). We had made great progre... 
Posted May 2, 2006 1:34:06 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
[closed]Need Programmer:cash,room&food,plane tickets- working holiday/gap year, China Quote:Original post by WanMaster Quote:Original post by Blake Rieger Not sure what you mean by less experienced... Well I meant I fall into that 90K programmers that can't just walk away from their full time job category. Otherwise I'd be definite... 
Posted May 3, 2009 12:31:07 PM
Critique my networking plan Quote:Original post by hplus0603 The devil is in the details, though :-) Ohhh, i know, but you gotta start somewhere ;). Quote:Original post by hplus0603 That's not true. A fixed frame rate is one of the most important considerations f... 
Posted October 15, 2007 8:26:19 PM
Checking for server updates with TCP/IP without polling Quote:Original post by hplus0603 1000 TCP sockets is not a problem on modern hardware. Ohh, well I must be reading outdated information. That solves all my problems then, thanks! 
Posted October 7, 2007 11:33:09 PM
Checking for server updates with TCP/IP without polling Quote:Original post by Antheus Then use UDP - the connection-less protocol. Thousands of connections are not necessarily the problem, if there's not much traffic going over them. Idle connections will just need a keep-alive signal once i... 
Posted October 7, 2007 3:53:20 PM
Checking for server updates with TCP/IP without polling Hmm, Well for the game I'm maintaining the connections, but for the lobby client to create/join games ill have far too many connections. Is there really an alternative to breaking connections if ill have potentially 1000's of connections to the lobb... 
Posted October 7, 2007 2:56:47 PM
Checking for server updates with TCP/IP without polling I see, I was hoping to keep the server listening for connections, and having the client purely connecting to send and receive (and closing connection after). Thanks for the feedback. 
Posted October 7, 2007 1:53:41 PM
Secret of Time Very impressive, great work. 
Posted June 7, 2007 9:28:12 AM
Can Starcraft 2 compete with Company of Heroes? I’m sorry, but this subject matter doesn’t even make sense. Starcraft 2 has been announced for how many days? How can we even pretend to comment on game play, strategy, and innovation? Why don’t we wait for a game to be released before destru... 
Posted May 23, 2007 11:50:12 PM
Multi Thread and OpenGL Quote:Original post by Farfadet I'm reading that an openGL app can be CPU or GPU limited ; would multi-threaded rendering not be faster in the first case ? Yann is referring to just the rendering portion of your code. Your rendering portion of c... 
Posted April 30, 2007 7:53:09 PM
High dynamic range depth of field Quote:Original post by Todo If that's the case, I'm very curious to find out what specific algorithm you are talking about, and if there is documentation available on it. I too am interested, the DOF looks very nice. 
Posted April 24, 2007 9:29:03 AM
View All Replies Made By This User