Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know HaywireGuy...  
Full Name Benglin Goh
Nickname HaywireGuy 
State/Province, Country Singapore
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://betablending.blogspot.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Software Development Engineer 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1072  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 8/16/2002 1:26:02 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Owner-drawn CListCtrl items too spaced out on Win2K (picture). Hello all, my owner-drawn CListCtrl is having problem on Win2K system, its items are too spaced out only on Windows 2000. This is not happening on Windows XP systems. This is how different they look: It might be due to th... 
Posted November 30, 2005 10:46:30 PM
HOWTO: Export class from static library. Hi people, I'm sorry I have tried searching the forum but did not find any answers to my question. So here I am, with the question... This is how my static library looks like, simple and there's no compilation or linker errors in it. _EXPORT h... 
Posted August 27, 2005 1:58:17 PM
HOWTO: Enforce single app instance in registry? Greetings everyone, I have created a utility that views proprietary files of my own format. This utility is capable of viewing multiple files at the same time (something like MDI). I have this file type associated with my utility program in th... 
Posted July 20, 2005 4:09:53 AM
ASM: Why test on same registry? Hi all assemblers, I have seen this in my Visual Studio disassembly view, I was wondering what does it really mean by doing a test on the same register? I know the return value from FunctionX is stored within EAX register, but what's the p... 
Posted July 5, 2005 3:31:53 AM
Rear mirror rendering, how? Good day everyone, I have a way to do rear mirror rendering found in most racing games, but I am not sure if this is the "right" way to go about it. These are the steps in each game loop iteration:     LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9  m_lpDevice;     LPD... 
Posted June 19, 2005 3:04:23 AM
Why declare in reversed order for _WIN64? Good day people, I am seeing this in WinSock.h. But I'm not sure why do we have to "reverse" the declaration order if we're compiling it for _WIN64?   struct servent   {     #ifdef _WIN64   &... 
Posted June 1, 2005 2:36:07 AM
100% CPU when D3D window is obstructed? Greetings people, just a simple one: Why does CPU usage gone sky-rocketting when a non-fullscreen Direct3D window is in the background? Take any of the DirectX SDK tutorial samples, if the window is partially obstructed the CPU usage is... 
Posted May 14, 2005 1:46:23 PM
Fastest way to turn 0x000000AB into 0xABABABAB Good day gurus, I have to admit I am an optimization freak who will do just about anything to make my codes run fast. Okay I am still struggling with ASM because of my limited knowledge on it, and VC compiler beats me at the fastest ASM... 
Posted April 30, 2005 5:36:50 AM
Texture modified, but mipmap levels not generated? Good day everyone, I have problem getting mip-map generated in my texture. The texture (mip-map level 0) is modified, but the level 1 mip-map seems to be empty (I could render the main texture with correct result). Here's the code: LPBYTE lp... 
Posted April 29, 2005 7:19:45 AM
Grayscale image as alpha channel? How? Good day people, I'm here with a simple question. It's about texture alpha blending. For the color part, I can take it from texture factor, not a problem. But when comes to alpha channel, I want to use a grayscale BMP (8 bits) that I have. I went... 
Posted April 1, 2005 4:39:54 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Boy controls Space Invader with mind // This requires IInputDeviceBrain9 interface to work. bool CGameWnd::OnBrainMove(WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam) {     double horz = GETHORZDELTA(wParam);     double vert = GETVERTDELTA(wParam);  &nb... 
Posted November 1, 2006 12:20:05 AM
My trip to Japan (many pictures) Quote:Original post by Chokki Quote:Original post by Ravuya What the fuck is up with that giant spider?If Japan's cartoons and comic books are any indication, it's probably part of the national defense force against giant robot attack. If Japan'... 
Posted August 15, 2006 1:00:49 AM
What music do you program to? Command & Conquer MP3 I recorded off the original CDs, inspires me in game programming.  
Posted February 27, 2006 4:53:32 AM
WM_SIZE being called constantly Hi there, you can detect for WM_EXITSIZEMOVE instead of WM_SIZE. WM_EXITSIZEMOVE, well as the name suggests only gets sent at the end of the sizing operation. Hope that helps.  
Posted February 20, 2006 1:25:30 AM
gdi vs. gdi++ GDI is not efficient (good enough for simple 2D games though). GDI+ is natively built into Windows XP as part of the operating system, talks directly to the hardware device driver, so it should be faster on XP. The only time (that I know of... 
Posted February 8, 2006 9:17:31 AM
char* to LPCWSTR I kinda inclined to Seleton's recommendation, you can switch from MBCS to Unicode, and vice-versa, with just a single compilation flag. But instead of TEXT I prefer to use TCHAR and _T macro:     TCHAR szString = _T("Content"... 
Posted January 23, 2006 3:57:10 AM
Character count vs Byte count string functions? Character count does not necessarily mean "byte count" for a given string under Unicode build of your software: WCHAR wch[] = L"Hello"; ASSERT(5 == wcslen(wch)); // String length (Cch) is 5 characters. ASSERT(12 == sizeof(wch)); // String siz... 
Posted January 23, 2006 3:23:17 AM
Custom Windows? Nice clock there Gan! Enlighten, if you know you're going to ship on Windows 2000 and newer operating systems, you can utilize what is generally known as "Layered Window" (instead of window region). It provides smooth blending with the rest o... 
Posted January 20, 2006 11:50:22 PM
assert in release ASSERT(DoSomething()); In this case DoSomething() will not be executed in Release build. Try one of these options instead: if(!VERIFY(DoSomething()))     return false; or bool bResult = DoSomething(); ASSER... 
Posted January 20, 2006 10:24:38 AM
Documenting Classes Quote:Original post by kpanghmc I think a better question is: why are you putting feathers on monkeys? :) "Impossible Creatures" maybe? Anyway, Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 has got a very nice documentation feature built into it. Check t... 
Posted January 19, 2006 9:39:47 PM
View All Replies Made By This User