Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know bencelot...  
Full Name  
Nickname bencelot 
State/Province, Country New South Wales   Australia
GD Gathering City Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.subvein.net 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1061  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 4/11/2008 2:36:08 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Confused about web hosting.. Hey dudes, can anyone clear up some confusion about web hosting? Currently I'm on some cheapo $3 a month shared hosting. Lately my website got a lot of traffic and crashed, resulting in a whole bunch of IPs (and potential players) being banne... 
Posted September 14, 2010 9:33:24 AM
Can't think of anywhere to post my game! Hey all. Where do you guys post your games when you finish them? My game is a top-down multiplayer shooter, kinda like Soldat. It's a cross between GTA2, CS and Diablo. Here's a video to give the an idea of the sort of gameplay people might be aft... 
Posted September 9, 2010 11:44:19 AM
Textures disappear on ATI cards with mipmaps. Ok, this might not be the issue, but it's my best shot :p Some of my players who have ATI cards report that their textures suddenly stop rendering. It's as if the entire texture disappears. Objects don't render all white (as if the texture were di... 
Posted September 3, 2010 5:12:56 AM
Two enemies running alongside eachother. Shooting problem. Hey all :) I'm making a top-down multiplayer shooter and am having some netcode issues. Basically the important elements are: 1) client-server model. 2) top-down movement where players can instantly change direction (up, down, left, right). 3... 
Posted August 30, 2010 2:50:08 AM
How can I restart my c++ application? Hey all. I've got a game with an inbuilt auto updater and I'd like it to restart upon completion. Currently when they close the game they have to manually reopen it again. Is it possible to perhaps call a batch file from within my application that... 
Posted August 27, 2010 11:14:48 AM
How can I stop Visual C++ Debug mode from initializing variables? Hey all. I've got a bug in my code and I believe it's because I foolishly forgot to initialize a member variable somewhere. It crashes in Release, but I can't get it to crash in Debug mode.. and I have no idea where to start looking. What I'd like... 
Posted August 26, 2010 12:03:07 PM
Looking for advice on dedicated game servers. Hey all, I'm making a multiplayer shooting game called Subvein and I'm thinking of purchasing some dedicated game hosting for it. It's kind of like a top-down version of Soldat. I live in Australia, but I really need to ensure that there's always... 
Posted August 25, 2010 12:02:49 PM
Subvein, now with GTA2 like vehicles :) Hey all! Subvein is a game I've been working on for almost 3 years now. It's a free, top-down multiplayer shooter. I just released version 0.6 with a whole lot of new features; the main one being vehicles. Before I go on, here's a f... 
Posted August 23, 2010 3:05:45 PM
How to make my phone beep whenever someone downloads my game? Hey all, Title sums it up. It'd be pretty exciting to have my phone start beeping/vibrating in realtime. Its a smart phone (android). Off the top of my head id just have my website send an email to my gmail account whenever the download link is clic... 
Posted August 2, 2010 12:54:12 AM
Time between VSync'd frames alternates dramatically .. Hey all! Ok, basically here's what's happening. I've got my game running with VSync on my very fast computer at 60 FPS. I'm using C++, Opengl (GLFW) and Visual Studio EE 2010 in Debug mode. I'm working on my timestep and recording the... 
Posted July 15, 2010 1:10:49 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Confused about web hosting.. Thanks Sirisian. I'm hosting a website, but my game has a server lobby so every minute all active servers will upload data via CURL to a php script that enters it into the database. Then whenever someone refreshes their lobby it has to download th... 
Posted September 14, 2010 3:14:11 PM
Can't think of anywhere to post my game! Cheers Church. I've done Image of the Day here, which is great. I'll check GGE out. I put something up there ages ago but didn't seem to get much traffic out of it. 
Posted September 9, 2010 1:52:26 PM
Two enemies running alongside eachother. Shooting problem. Ahh cheers oggs. I probably should've mentioned this but I've read that already. It was actually very helpful and I'm using a similar system. The main difference however is that CS has instantaneous bullets, so they can just save all the positions an... 
Posted September 2, 2010 6:25:07 AM
Two enemies running alongside eachother. Shooting problem. lol no.. I'm pretty poor. Cheers though :) 
Posted September 2, 2010 3:47:36 AM
Two enemies running alongside eachother. Shooting problem. Yeah, I'm probably using the term incorrectly. Never been good with terms :p Surely you need to factor in blue's latency when determining red's position. Suppose red is running along and when he reaches position 100, the server sends out an update... 
Posted August 30, 2010 6:01:45 AM
Two enemies running alongside eachother. Shooting problem. Thanks man, really appreciate it. Don't think Steam would work though because the game is free. But who knows :) The netcode and motion is deterministic. So a client will see his own character move instantly when he changes direction and there's n... 
Posted August 30, 2010 4:48:30 AM
How can I restart my c++ application? Hey all. I've got it working. Here's how for all interested. First I created a batch file which very simply says: start MyGame exit I then named this file "Restart MyGame.cmd" and saved it to the same directory as "MyGame.exe". Then at... 
Posted August 28, 2010 12:51:35 AM
How can I restart my c++ application? Maybe I'm wrong, but I just tested it and it seems that if you add 'start' before the application name then the batch file can move onto the next line (being exit). So if I put 'start' into my restart.cmd file as such: start MyGame exit... 
Posted August 28, 2010 12:37:33 AM
How can I restart my c++ application? Cheers guys. Yeah I can already close down the application from within the application. And I know I can open up the the application simply with a batch file that says something like: start MyGame exit So all I really need to be able to do is... 
Posted August 27, 2010 11:46:11 PM
How can I stop Visual C++ Debug mode from initializing variables? Quote:Original post by adeyblue You can control it by enabling/disabling the Stack Frames run time check option. In VS2008 it's at Configuration Properties -> C/C++ -> Code generation -> Basic Runtime Checks. Ok, I just did a test and it... 
Posted August 26, 2010 1:47:17 PM
View All Replies Made By This User