Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Dean Johnson...  
Full Name  
Nickname Dean Johnson 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.jandrew.net 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1021  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 3/21/2002 1:26:18 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Headcases Headcases is a 3rd person Shooter game that takes the comical feel of Mario Kart and puts it into a Unreal Tournament like arena combat setting. The project was created by a six person student team during a five month final project at Full Sail. ... 
Posted November 2, 2006 8:49:55 PM
Skinned Mesh Cloning Problem ID3DXSkinInfo D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 Right now I am cloning a copy of the mesh coming into the “CreateMeshContainer” function like this: D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 Declaration[MAX_FVF_DECL_SIZE]; if (FAILED(pMeshData->pMesh->GetDeclaration(Declaration))) return E_FAIL; pMeshData... 
Posted March 19, 2006 1:23:09 AM
Load RAW data into IDirect3DTexture9 for D3DXComputeNormalMap I want to use D3DXComputeNormalMap but my heightmap is just a raw data file. How can I load raw data into a IDirect3DTexture9 object? Thx 
Posted March 9, 2006 12:18:53 AM
Procedurally Generated Trees and Shrubs Does anyone have a link to some research papers or articles on how to procedurally generated trees and/or shrubs? Thanks 
Posted March 3, 2006 6:05:55 PM
Rotate texture coordinates using HLSL I want to be able to rotate a texture on an object around an arbitrary point and then translate that point. So if I want to rotate the texture around the UV of (0.5, 0.5). The way I thought that it could work would be to pass an extra matrix to... 
Posted December 12, 2005 2:08:54 PM
Data structure to use for holding objecting in scene I am trying to find the best data structure tree for holding my game objects. I have a level that is relatively flat with minor changes in the terrain height. All game objects have bounding spheres. There are static buildings and moving vehicles. ... 
Posted November 27, 2005 6:31:57 PM
Hierarchical Per-pixel Occlusion Culling I was reading the Reality Engine site and was wondering if anyone know how this is done? "Hierarchical Per-pixel Occlusion Culling. No more portals, zones, vis-gen waiting times, or manual occluders! Occlusion is fully automatic, fast, and accurat... 
Posted October 24, 2005 9:58:37 PM
Highlight a selected mesh in a scene Does anyone have a good way to highlight a selected mesh in a scene? Almost all of my objects are rendered using shaders but any ideas that use the fixed pipeline are welcome. I have an editor and when the user clicks on a mesh I need a way to s... 
Posted September 18, 2005 7:57:07 PM
C# DX9 and Alpha Sprites what I have: A png file with alpha in the shape of a star. The only color in the png is black. My Vertex is defined with. CustomVertex.PositionColoredTextured I assign the texture and a color. I change the color of the sprite with... 
Posted May 22, 2005 4:12:11 AM
Running in a Window I am running DX Graphics and Input in a window. When the window has a lost of focus when I come back what do I need to do? What settings do I need? I am making a 2D game. Right now when you come back the character will not move anymore. Do I need... 
Posted June 25, 2004 2:57:32 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Headcases Try installing the DirectX SDK. I don't think the installer adds all the needed files. Sorry 
Posted November 16, 2006 12:11:56 AM
Headcases Sorry to hear that. What type of video card are you using? 
Posted November 4, 2006 4:52:44 PM
XNA Game Studio Express Beta available. In anyone wants to share samples they have created they can send them to this site. There are already a few tutorials and samples up. http://www.XNASpot.com. 
Posted September 2, 2006 12:48:53 AM
Breaking into the Biz falola, There are quite a few current and former students here on GameDev. What course are you currently in? What was your background before starting at Full Sail?  
Posted August 4, 2006 12:56:01 AM
Need help with matrices Matrices and linear algebra are very important to understand most concepts with 3D games. I suggest you get a DirectX book with a nice math primmer at the beginning of the book. Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 http://www... 
Posted July 10, 2006 10:52:29 AM
Kill running thread // Call befor making the thread svServerMutex = CreateMutex(NULL, 0, "ServerMutex"); // inside of the thread while (1) { WaitForSingleObject(svServerMutex, INFINITE); if (bTerminateServerThread) { ReleaseMutex(svServerMutex); break;... 
Posted April 26, 2006 2:28:22 PM
Kill running thread You will need to use a Critical Section or Mutex to make the variable thread safe. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/mutex_objects.asp http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us... 
Posted April 26, 2006 1:29:36 PM
Skinned Mesh Cloning Problem ID3DXSkinInfo D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 Quote:Original post by DXnut Since you mucked with the vertex declaration, did you foget to use the ID3DXSkinInfo::SetDeclaration method to update it? Yes. Quote:I used the “ID3DXSkinInfo::SetDeclaration” function to set the declaration to th... 
Posted March 19, 2006 7:42:25 PM
Skinned Mesh Cloning Problem ID3DXSkinInfo D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 Anyone know anything about ID3DXSkinInfo? 
Posted March 19, 2006 3:32:53 PM
Procedurally Generated Trees and Shrubs Thank you very much! 
Posted March 3, 2006 6:41:35 PM
View All Replies Made By This User