Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know bennyW...  
Full Name  
Nickname bennyW 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.kb-engine.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1025  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 12/11/2005 1:29:09 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
3DS Max animation bone alignment issue Hi all, Simple problem here (I think). I have have a character model from a friend that is all rigged and ready to animate. However, if I rotate his thigh like he's kicking, the bottom of his foot stays parallel to the floor. Here's a pic. ... 
Posted October 31, 2010 9:23:38 PM
Polygon explosion Polygon explosion is a method to blow a mesh out radially into arbitrary polygons. This is accomplished with a gradient texture and the clip() instruction in a pixel shader. Here's a video of it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij4CiwW_... 
Posted March 16, 2008 7:56:50 PM
3ds Max Face Map and Render To Texture Hi, I have an unwrapped 3ds Max model and a diffuse texture. What I'd like to do is to take a second texture with 'Face Map' selected so that it is applied to each quad in my model, and then render-to-texture but using the original unwrapped uvs.... 
Posted January 14, 2008 10:14:52 PM
Performance of Using Clip Planes Does anyone happen to know how clipplanes peform? (Using D3DRS_CLIPPLANEENABLE and SetClipPlane()) I'll get around to testing it eventually, but was wondering what other's experience with it was. I'm assuming its probably pretty darn fast. Ben... 
Posted October 15, 2007 10:22:20 AM
PSSMs and PSMs Has anyone had any great success combining Parallel Split Shadow Maps and some form of Perspective Shadow Maps? I've got the PSSM part working pretty well, but am interested in getting a little more out of each shadow map. Any thoughts, comment... 
Posted June 17, 2007 11:12:46 AM
General Performance question about shadowing In my current project, the shadowing pass takes roughly 8-9ms per frame. I'm shooting for 33ms/frame. So roughly a quarter of my frame time is spent on the shadows. My scene is a basic outdoor environment, with 15-20 characters, terrain, a... 
Posted January 9, 2007 9:42:47 PM
Frame rate differences between fullscreen and windowed Hey, Sometimes, If I start my app in windowed mode, my fps will be around 30. If I toggle to Full-Screen it'll jump to 60. If I toggle back to windowed it'll stay around 60. And sometimes when I start in windowed mode, my fps will just be 60.... 
Posted December 1, 2006 9:11:22 AM
Radial Blur implementation Hi, So I've implemented my first radial blur shader. The blur starts some set distance from the center, leaving an unblurred circle in the center. I have a nice looking blur, but I was wondering what yall thought bout my implementation. I'm... 
Posted August 4, 2006 12:07:14 AM
Problem editing my resource file in Visual Studios (solved) When I open up my resource view to edit my .rc I get a message saying "Open in another editor" and I'm unable to add buttons, menus and such. I've closed everything except VS and still get this problem. I even tried rebooting and making it the fi... 
Posted July 14, 2006 7:09:48 PM
SetTexture() overhead I was wondering what happens (in-depth) during a settexture call that makes them so expensive. So for one, it breaks up batching primitives. Also, the new texture data will need to be loaded into cache. There's more to it right? Also... 
Posted May 8, 2006 2:52:26 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
3DS Max animation bone alignment issue Thanks for the advice. I'm not familiar with max, so I found that exporting it out as .FBX, and reimporting fixed my problem for me. 
Posted November 4, 2010 9:57:19 PM
Meshes rendering weirdly Check that z-reading/writing is on. g_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ZENABLE, D3DZB_TRUE); g_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ZWRITEENABLE, TRUE); 
Posted May 3, 2009 7:59:32 PM
Spectraball Hey that looks pretty sweet. Lots of potential with that kind of game-play. I look forward to playing this one. 
Posted April 15, 2008 9:57:48 AM
Polygon explosion Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. A buddy suggested doing a twister-like effect while its exploding, PolyTwist I guess. That'd be pretty easy, just rotate the pelvis, and spine bones while PolyExploding. I thought it'd also be interesti... 
Posted March 19, 2008 11:20:48 PM
Infinity's procedural planetary engine Wow, some of those screens could pass as photos at a glance. What kind of performance are you getting on what kind of hardware? 
Posted March 19, 2008 11:16:47 PM
Polygon explosion Hodgman, yeah thats a pretty good idea and I'll look into trying that out. The only thing is though with PolyDodge I wanted to avoid having the polies go through the ground. dpadam450, sorry about that, yeah my bandwidth was exceeded, caught... 
Posted March 17, 2008 4:00:03 PM
Sun rays whatever... To help save on performance, you can perform your radial blur/iteration step in a down-sampled render-target, similar to other post-process fx. Btw, here are some other screenshots of games that do some derivation of this effect: Call of D... 
Posted May 1, 2007 11:19:29 AM
Sun rays whatever... I'm not familiar with Hoffman & Preetham, but one way those sun rays could be implemented: 1) After the scene is rendered, set your rendertarget to something other than your main color buffer. But keep your old depth buffer. 2) Clear this... 
Posted April 29, 2007 2:21:17 PM
Last Dawn Man, thats a really refreshing change from the typical look game devs go for. Looks good, reminds me why I got into game programming in the first place. 
Posted April 1, 2007 11:58:32 PM
parallax mapping problem You should also double check the code that generates those values. Try mapping the texture differently onto you floor and make sure that everything is still correct. 
Posted December 8, 2006 2:54:30 PM
View All Replies Made By This User