Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Myopic Rhino...  Staff
Full Name Dave Astle
Nickname Myopic Rhino 
State/Province, Country CA   United States
GD Gathering City Escondido, CA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.facebook.com/myopicrhino 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title GDNet Staff 
Job Description I do it all, baby! 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 2087  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since Hey, I'm one of the people who created the site, how long do you think I've been here?
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/dave/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Game Programming Beginners Guide
Moving Beyond OpenGL 1.1 for Windows
SIGGRAPH 2003 Report
XGDC Report
XGDX 2003 Report
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Bryce 7 Pro Comments for the review of Bryce 7 Pro 
Posted November 9, 2010 6:24:47 PM
Why AppUp? A Quick Review of the AppUp Model Comments for the article Why AppUp? A Quick Review of the AppUp Model 
Posted December 21, 2010 7:31:24 AM
How to make Explosions Comments for the article How to make Explosions 
Posted January 14, 2004 3:15:59 PM
A Verlet based approach for 2D game physics Comments for the article A Verlet based approach for 2D game physics 
Posted November 19, 2009 11:50:01 PM
So, You Have Cool Game Ideas? Comments for the article So, You Have Cool Game Ideas? 
Posted February 21, 2001 9:49:08 AM
3D Graphics are the Spawn of Satan Comments for the article 3D Graphics are the Spawn of Satan 
Posted February 21, 2001 9:47:17 AM
The Game Makers Companion Comments for the article The Game Maker's Companion 
Posted December 10, 2010 9:27:04 AM
Building Brawl-Handling Interacting Characters in EA Sports MMA Comments for the article Building Brawl-Handling Interacting Characters in EA Sport's MMA 
Posted November 30, 2010 9:37:20 AM
Do We Really Need Quaternions? Comments for the article Do We Really Need Quaternions? 
Posted February 18, 2001 8:57:14 AM
A Closer Look At Parallax Occlusion Mapping Comments for the article A Closer Look At Parallax Occlusion Mapping 
Posted June 28, 2006 2:44:28 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
FBI Celebrates That It Prevented FBI's Own Bomb Plot Quote:Original post by samoth Quote:Original post by FlashInThePan (Link to Glenn Greenwald's site)That is one awesome website, thank you. First time I've heard of this guy, but he is truly raising a few very valid points and making some reall... 
Posted December 8, 2010 10:31:18 AM
So it looks like the Democrats got punished for getting the job done. Quote:Original post by M2tM Do you truly believe a 1 trillion dollar or more stimulus could have been implemented? People were kicking and screaming at the cost as was. I live in Canada so I am honestly not sure, but I hear a lot of media whining... 
Posted November 6, 2010 4:04:36 AM
So it looks like the Democrats got punished for getting the job done. Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes The policy is working. I think it's premature to make that claim. See the following for analysis of the numbers: http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2010/11/jobs-expand-by-151000-unemployment.html htt... 
Posted November 6, 2010 1:11:03 AM
Carmack on government Quote:Original post by Rycross So, you see, its kinda hard to get people to be enthusiastic about the free market when you put them in an all-or-nothing position. People tend to be a bit conservative by nature, and don't like to see sweeping change... 
Posted October 29, 2010 3:09:11 PM
Carmack on government Quote:Original post by Promit Quote:Original post by Myopic Rhino Often, especially on topics related to areas where there is currently heavy government involvement, the argument is that we don't know exactly what the free market would produce... 
Posted October 29, 2010 2:53:03 PM
Carmack on government Quote:Original post by Promit Okay, so we're back to the drumbeat of "private enterprise will do it better". MY individual belief is that the choice between government and corporations is in fact a choice between these two: * An organization that i... 
Posted October 29, 2010 2:44:59 PM
Carmack on government Quote:Original post by Talroth Quote:Original post by Myopic Rhino but the notion that libertarians don't have alternatives is complete and utter bullshit. Ok, not to be an ass here, but source? mises.org? 
Posted October 29, 2010 2:35:12 PM
Carmack on government Quote:Original post by Rycross I'm actually very sympathetic to the libertarian point of view, especially if I find someone willing to actually discuss points rather than dismiss them, but I find that most of its advocacy is the kind of trite drivel... 
Posted October 29, 2010 2:33:36 PM
Carmack on government Quote:Original post by Rycross That assumes that competition (which is a cornerstone of a free market) always leads to optimal outcomes. Rudimentary knowledge of game theory shows that this is not the case. The libertarian response (in my experien... 
Posted October 29, 2010 2:16:55 PM
Carmack on government Quote:Original post by Promit I respect Carmack as much as anybody. But. "Government is a poor solution to everything, thus I will suggest absolutely nothing useful in comparison." That is apparently the standard libertarian line nowadays -- e... 
Posted October 29, 2010 1:15:05 PM
View All Replies Made By This User