Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know jonathan_obrien...  
Full Name  
Nickname jonathan_obrien 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.outofgear.gotdns.com/games.html 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1015  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/14/2004 5:34:05 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Renderware: getting co-ordinates of a position on model Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way that I can get the co-ordinates of a place on a (animated) model? Specifically I need to get the shoulder, elbow and hand positions, which can all move (in more than one dimension), and each is aff... 
Posted April 17, 2005 8:14:06 AM
loading textures into video card memory Can anyone tell me how to load textures into the video cards memory? At the moment I am using display lists but I think they only use normal system memory. For models you use a thing called vertex buffer objects, but I'm not sure what the equiva... 
Posted February 21, 2005 9:18:14 AM
Renderware for PS2 I have managed to get work experience with the possibility of a job later next year. The position is coding for the PS2. I found out that I will be using Renderware for the PS2, which is something I have ZERO knowledge of. I desperately want to get a... 
Posted December 11, 2004 6:01:30 AM
Fighting Game V2 I started a thread a while ago about a game I have been writting for some time. It is a fighting game like Mortal Kombat. I tried to add this post to the end of that thread but it refused to work. Anyway the earlier version that some people tried had... 
Posted January 5, 2005 4:15:32 PM
3D particle system Does any one know where I could get some code for a 3D particle system? I want to have a blood fountain type effect, like in Kill Bill. All the particle systems I have found use sprites. I want to be able to move the camera etc. Yes I know I cou... 
Posted December 5, 2004 1:55:12 AM
The Fighting Game Please try out my new game! It's a fighting game similar to Mortal Kombat. It has combos and fatalities as well. The link is: http://www.outofgear.gotdns.com/jon/new/fightinggame.zip Here is a screenshot: http://www.outofgear.gotdns.com/jon... 
Posted November 14, 2004 11:50:39 AM
loading models I have been trying unsuccessfully to adapt the model loading code from gametutorials.com to openGL ES. Has anyone actually got this or other model loading code working? I so could you please post it? Thanks Jonathan 
Posted August 29, 2004 9:47:01 AM
3ds Vs md2 I was reading through some posts about loading models and a few people said that md2 is a better format to use because of the size of the files. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in performance as well? Which is better / worse? Jonathan 
Posted August 27, 2004 4:24:24 AM
One in the Chamber Hi everyone If any of you have the spare time could you please check out the game I have just finished? You can find everything you need at: http://www.outofgear.gotdns.com/games.html And could you let me know if it did/didn't work? Jonat... 
Posted August 21, 2004 7:35:09 AM
The Tank Game If you have some spare time please have a look at my game. It requires Java3D to be installed on your machine. Here is the zip if you already have the Java and Java3D SDKs; http://www.outofgear.gotdns.com/jon/tankzip.zip Or the webstarted... 
Posted July 15, 2004 1:30:57 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
loading textures into video card memory I could still see the particles with that cull face setting, what does that mean? The problem is that I was rendering transparent particles over each other again and again and again, and I guess that really hurts the processor. Jonathan 
Posted February 28, 2005 8:11:26 AM
loading textures into video card memory OK I spent ages trying to get texture objects working, and when I did it didn't make any difference. I have decided that I have too many glBegin() and glEnd() calls. What I am trying to do now is use VBOs to store all the co-ordinates for my particle... 
Posted February 27, 2005 12:36:50 PM
loading textures into video card memory OK so the thing is that I am using display lists at the moment and they are making ZERO difference to performance. After some reading I have come to the conclusion that this is because I am doing things like move the textures around and change their... 
Posted February 24, 2005 11:08:30 AM
Renderware for PS2 No we don't have access to the Renderware site, I don't know why but they told me they don't. I looked through all the documentation and what I found was really vague. So someone please just humor me. Jonathan 
Posted January 14, 2005 5:00:57 AM
Fighting Game V2 The manual does have the keys, you're right you didn't look hard enough. Getting punched won't cancel a move, but getting kicked will. Was what you saw consistant with this? Ademan555 could you be more specific with what you said about the fightin... 
Posted January 14, 2005 3:22:18 AM
Fighting Game V2 I'm going to keep bumping this until I actually get a response.. Jonathan 
Posted January 14, 2005 1:34:37 AM
Renderware for PS2 OK guys I can see the way to do this is with a dff file. The problem is, I asked the lead programmer if he could show me how to load and render the sphere, and he said "just have a look at the code I wrote over here..." The thing is the code he wrote... 
Posted January 14, 2005 1:32:15 AM
Renderware for PS2 OK well how about a cube then? I know you would have to define eight points, and form six squares using those eight points. A few places have told me you do that like this: ModelBegin ClumpBegin Vertex –0.05 0.00 -0.05 #1 Vertex –... 
Posted January 11, 2005 10:19:43 AM
Renderware for PS2 OK guys, I started this week and up till today everything was going fine but at the start of the day I got stuck on something and I haven't figured it out. It is now 10:45 PM. How the hell do you draw a sphere? In openGL you call a method cal... 
Posted January 11, 2005 9:41:38 AM
Fighting Game V2 Come on people give me some feedback!! Jonathan 
Posted January 8, 2005 11:56:33 AM
View All Replies Made By This User