Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know jochenstier...  
Full Name Jochen Stier
Nickname jochenstier 
State/Province, Country British Columbia   Canada
GD Gathering City Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.geist3d.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1005  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 11/29/2006 8:19:46 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Real Time Virtual Planets These images are real-time screenshots of the Geist3D graphics engine. The surface features are generated procedurally down to 1.5m resolution. Each planet maintains the laws of rigid body physics and allows avatars to travel seamlessly between any t... 
Posted October 24, 2007 10:12:15 AM
Real Time Virtual Worlds These screenshots are from the latest version of Geist3D. The demo consists of a very large environment which contains two procedural planets as well as few avatars, vehicles, a shuttle, a space station and of course, stargates. The graphics engine s... 
Posted June 15, 2008 2:47:50 AM
Presorting cube vertices. Hi, I am trying to presort the vertices of a cube using different index buffers so that I can draw alpha blended billboards at each vertex without first having to sort the vertices on the CPU each frame. The idea is to choose n sorting vect... 
Posted September 22, 2009 5:50:13 PM
Looking for 3D artists I am looking for artists who would like to contribute 3D space models/vehicles/characters to Pangea. This trailer on youtube will give you an idea about the state of the engine. The goal is to build commercial games eventually. At this poin... 
Posted September 4, 2009 1:34:09 PM
Real time procedural planets This is a screenshots of the real time Geist3D graphics engine which we are using for an independent game development project called Pangea. The most distinct feature of the game is a huge environment supporting seamless travel between any two points... 
Posted July 6, 2009 1:24:16 PM
Deferred lighting and AA, once again I am looking for some advice on how to progress with deferred lighting and especially on how to deal with antialiasing. I know this has been discussed in length on the forums here but I was wondering if someone could put me at ease. I... 
Posted May 6, 2009 11:45:32 PM
Attaching Camera/Weapons to a character Hi, I am trying to figure out the best way to attach a weapon and a camera to an md5 skeletal character animation. I am already running the animation and have a camera attached to the head bone. The walking animation is connected to the “w” key... 
Posted January 14, 2009 1:47:57 AM
Shader Improvements Hi, I am curious to see if anyone has some input on this shader for modeling tree leafs. Patches of leafs are made up of textured billboards that always face the viewer. The only input to the shader is vertex attributes containing the... 
Posted August 3, 2008 10:10:38 AM
Color image histogram equalization I hope this isn't too much off topic but I was wondering if anyone can point out a good method for histogram equalization of Landsat7 color images. I am building a terrain rendering engine for the west coast of Canada and I am now in the process of m... 
Posted December 24, 2007 4:52:43 PM
How to meet the right people ? Hi, I am struggling with how to get in touch with game publishers and developers. I have been working on this new graphics engine for six years now, day and night while working on a Ph.D. It has powerful capabilities such as a real time... 
Posted November 15, 2007 7:33:54 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Presorting cube vertices. Simplifying the problem just made it a lot clearer to me as well. Are you sure though that you have to multiply the 2D solution by the number of faces? It's seems that some of the vectors apply to two faces. I think the problem reduces to 2 vectors p... 
Posted September 22, 2009 7:17:49 PM
Looking for 3D artists Ok, I missed that... I will repost properly soon. 
Posted September 4, 2009 9:49:06 PM
Real time procedural planets Quote: 8,000 ~= 2^13, and 18,000 ~= 2^14, so 1 m precision fits in a 16 bit integer, with room to spare. It certainly fits in a 32-bit float, which is why I perform my noise generation on the GPU for starfall. Ok I see, that makes sense. I... 
Posted July 9, 2009 5:30:42 PM
Real time procedural planets Quote: One thing I meant to try but never did was rendering the planet with z-write disabled. Is that how you're doing it? Something like that; I am actually rendering the entire scene three times with different frustums for far, medium and nea... 
Posted July 8, 2009 11:17:47 AM
Real time procedural planets Quote: In the main screenshot, all of the details (mountains/trenches) seem to run vertical/horizontal. i.e. they're at 90º to each other. Now that you mention it, I notice it myslelf. Probably just a matter of playing with the noise function...... 
Posted July 7, 2009 6:41:38 PM
Deferred lighting and AA, once again Ok, I will take a serious look at MSAA and run some test. Do you know off any examples in OpenGL off the top of your head? I am assuming if DX10 has the ability to read back individual subsamples from MSAA render targets, then so does OpenGL. 
Posted May 7, 2009 2:52:14 PM
Deferred lighting and AA, once again Isn't supersampling where you render the scene into a larger buffer and then downsample? I guess this would be easy enough to try. I could just shrink a screenshot using photoshop. I am curious if this approach would produce better results than the e... 
Posted May 7, 2009 10:58:58 AM
Deferred lighting and AA, once again I just had a look at that link and I think that I get the idea! You still have to render the geometry twice, but nevertheless its an ingenious idea. If I understand right then you only render the normals and depth into one FBO first; i.e. e... 
Posted May 7, 2009 12:11:10 AM
Attaching Camera/Weapons to a character If I just change the camera orientation, then the weapon will not stay in front of me. Just imagine you are holding a gun and then turn your head. You will not be pointing at anything anymore. It seems like the solution would either have to involve I... 
Posted January 14, 2009 5:31:05 PM
Real Time Virtual Worlds Quote: Looks really good, but it would look even better if an graphics artist would make some textures and building, etc. A few artists are starting to contribute some content and the Geist3D forum is slowly coming alive. The next release will... 
Posted June 17, 2008 6:55:17 AM
View All Replies Made By This User