Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Giedrius...  
Full Name  
Nickname Giedrius 
State/Province, Country Vilniaus Apskritis   Lithuania
GD Gathering City Vilnius, Vilniaus Apskritis, Lithuania
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://giedrius.yablinksht.com/ 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1043  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 6/7/2005 3:17:27 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Prefixing names using some notation Let's say we have this little convention of prefixing variable names, based on the kind of the variable: prefix - meaning (sample variable name) p - pointer (pWindow) c - class or struct (cBox) r - refere... 
Posted April 27, 2010 6:30:54 PM
Some questions on Google C++ Style Guide Google C++ style Guide I hate how a lot of coding conventions don't explain or provide any argumentation on its choices and why is it preferred over other conventions. Variable Names string table_name; // OK - uses underscore. ... 
Posted April 27, 2010 5:42:22 PM
Programmer portfolio website I have just finished working on my portfolio website and I would love to hear your feedback and comments on it. Link. Its main purpose is to display my projects and some information about me in an easy to navigate and visually appeali... 
Posted December 13, 2009 7:28:21 AM
GPL software used for commercial content I'm mostly concerned about using GtkRadiant for commercial purposes. I've read on the Internet that in the eula of GtkRadiant it is stated that in order to use GtkRadiant for commercial purposes, one must buy a licence from id Software. How... 
Posted January 4, 2009 10:32:09 AM
2D game engine, named "Handle" Description Here's some screenshots from my 2D game engine. It is written in C++ and uses OpenGL for graphics, GLEW for OpenGL extensions and ODE for physics. Everything else was written by me. The textures were found on the internet and I prod... 
Posted August 8, 2008 7:30:26 PM
OpenGL ASCII shader I remember that ATI control panel had an OpenGL shader to draw the contents of the screen using green or grey ASCII characters. I am wondering how it worked. It probably is a post-processing effect, but I have almost no idea how should I go about imp... 
Posted August 26, 2008 3:54:21 PM
A choice between studying and working I am currently 18 years old, I have recently finished the school and it is time to go to study in a university. I learned programming on my own, while I was still in school. I programmed a game engine on my freetime, though it is not quite... 
Posted July 31, 2008 3:22:51 PM
Accumulation buffer I am having some issues with the accumulation buffer. I tried using this code in my drawing function: glClearAccum(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f); glClear(GL_ACCUM_BUFFER_BIT); glRotatef(m_Rotation, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f); //m_Rotation is incremented in U... 
Posted June 15, 2008 5:37:26 PM
Multipass rendering? Is there an article describing what multipass rendering from the OpenGL perspective is? How can it be used with GLSL (I'm targeting SM2.0 hardware) to render light from multiple light sources? In which other effects can multipass rendering be used? ... 
Posted November 14, 2007 9:39:40 AM
GLSL questions So if I use GLSL for some of the polygons, I can't fallback to the fixed functionality functions and I must mimic them with shaders? How and where are the shaders stored in big game projects? I don't want users/players to be able to modify or see... 
Posted November 7, 2007 1:58:47 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
I learned C#. Now what? To start writing awesome programs you still have to get there. The trick is to start small. There is no way to know when you actually know programming well enough without applying your knowledge to practical problems, so I suggest that you should jum... 
Posted October 17, 2010 1:57:35 PM
Visual C++ Express 2010: Release build works in Debug mode but not outside of it? You should be able to run the release executable manually, wait for it to crash and then attach the Visual Studio debugger to it. It should show you the place where the exe crashes and this may help you to locate the problem. 
Posted August 12, 2010 8:45:54 PM
Prefixing names using some notation I agree with YogurtEmperor. I should have mentioned myself that I'm mostly concerned with not my own code, but with code written collaboratively by a group of people. And as he mentioned, you can't expect everyone (even yourself) to always write perf... 
Posted April 28, 2010 8:27:15 AM
Prefixing names using some notation Quote:Original post by Decrius If you don't know the type, or the kind-of-type, without a prefix, you should seriously consider to refactor the code. For example if you'd have a variable named "diffuseTexture", there's no way to change its name so... 
Posted April 27, 2010 7:48:28 PM
Prefixing names using some notation It's more likely to take 0.2 seconds when there's a prefix. It still takes more time to roll over your mouse to see the tooltip or go to the declaration using your keyboard. And you may also forget the kind of the variable after a while. Having it in... 
Posted April 27, 2010 7:00:10 PM
Some questions on Google C++ Style Guide Or this issue may be avoided by having a 'm' or 'm_' prefix, also making it possible to use intellisense more efficiently. 
Posted April 27, 2010 6:56:08 PM
Prefixing names using some notation The variable isn't that likely to require a change of its kind, especially if it's already so widely spread. And even if it is inevitably needed to change the kind of the variable, it is likely that the name would have to be changed anyway. 
Posted April 27, 2010 6:54:35 PM
Some questions on Google C++ Style Guide I care, because I want to know the reasoning behind those guidelines. 
Posted April 27, 2010 5:53:08 PM
An efficient method of clearing my Z buffer? You have a lot of cache misses in your clear_z_buffer implementation. void Rasterizer::clear_z_buffer() { for(int i = 0; i < m_screen_width; ++i) { for(int j = 0; j < m_screen_height; ++j) { m_z_bu... 
Posted February 17, 2010 9:21:43 AM
Vectors copy constructing too much.. If your vector stores pointers, swapping them shouldn't be an expensive operation. 
Posted January 3, 2010 6:52:23 AM
View All Replies Made By This User