Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know roger_hq...  
Full Name  
Nickname roger_hq 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.deepbluefuture.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description Software Developer 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1011  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 8/14/2002 2:59:10 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
MA:XX 3D shoot-em-up game now in Beta Hello, I've recently published my first 3D game, MA:XX and is now in Beta test. MA:XX is a top-down asteroids-style shoot-em-up game using DirectX 9c on Windows. It uses a Direct3D graphics scene-graph based library I wrote an... 
Posted April 16, 2009 10:21:35 PM
MA:XX Screen Shots Some screen shots for my latest game project MA:XX. MA:XX is a top-down asteroids-style shoot-em-up game using DirectX 9c on Windows. It uses a Direct3D graphics scene-graph based library I wrote and a Game Object library I wrote for sc... 
Posted February 17, 2009 11:40:03 PM
Determine width of text (in pixels) on Windows screen Hi all, I am currently struggling to figure out how to determine how wide a string of text is on the screen, particularly when I change resolutions in my Win32 application. The reason I want to determine how wide a string will be, particul... 
Posted December 17, 2008 3:13:07 PM
Release of DirectSound7 on XP Pro causes error report dialog Hi, I'm trying to be a good citizen in my DirectX7 app and release all of my DX interfaces when I exit my program, but for some strange reason when I run my app on Win XP Pro, when I exit the program normally by clicking an "exit" button, m... 
Posted June 4, 2005 6:21:59 PM
Using Index buffers in Octree implementation Hi, Somewhat new to D3D so please forgive the noobness. I've been butting my head up against this problem for long enough and I'm just not making any headway. I hope a DirectX index buffer guru can help me, since I'm about out of ideas. Anywa... 
Posted March 10, 2005 3:53:26 PM
DirectInput equivelant Hi, I'm sure you've seen this post before, but the search for me isn't turning up anything useful. I'm working on a D3D app, but for some reason I'm getting nervous about DirectX going away or being unsupported in future versions of windows, an... 
Posted February 8, 2005 1:30:59 PM
Release/Restore D3DXSprite, textures on alt-tab Hi, I'm developing an app with D3D9 and I'm encountering a little trouble with restoring the app after doing alt-tab. Currently, I have a wrapper for a D3D9Device called D3D9Graphics, and a wrapper for IDirect3DTexture9 called D3D9Texture, and a... 
Posted February 8, 2005 1:10:10 PM
Strange D3DX8Font and DInput8 problem Hi, I'm somewhat new to D3D. I am experiencing a very odd problem in developing a D3D8 sample app to test some basic functionality for a game I'm working on. I have created a simple tank object that I load as a mesh and render in my scene.... 
Posted February 3, 2005 2:08:54 PM
"Star Lance Alpha" scrolling shootemup new version Hello all, I've just released a new version (0.9.3) of Star Lance Alpha, a scrolling shootem-up arcade game for the PC. I posted earlier about the last version of the game here. I am looking to get feedback on the new version and would very... 
Posted June 16, 2004 5:10:24 PM
"Star Lance Alpha" 2D scrolling shootem-up demo release Hello all, I have recently finished a demo/beta version of my top-down vertical-scrolling 2D shootem-up game called Star Lance Alpha . I am looking for feedback on how the game plays, and just general opinions on what you think c... 
Posted January 28, 2004 3:29:00 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
MA:XX 3D shoot-em-up game now in Beta Anyone had a chance to try the game? Any and all feedback appreciated. 
Posted April 21, 2009 7:23:48 PM
MA:XX Screen Shots Thanks all for looking and the responses! I've really enjoyed making this game and I'm excited that it's nearing completion. jdindia: For the nebula textures, originally they were randomly generated using perlin noise functions. However, it tur... 
Posted February 20, 2009 9:59:35 PM
Space combat Game - Star Blast Downloaded, started up fine. Went to "select ship" screen, selected ship. Hit Play. Application crashed. Didn't see a log file to forward to you. This looks like a great game, I hope you work out the issue! System information: Windows XP ... 
Posted December 27, 2008 5:57:12 PM
Determine width of text (in pixels) on Windows screen The difference is actually quite significant. When the calculation comes back from DrawText() or GetTextExtentPoint32(), in one example, I get a value of 134. When I count the pixels on the screen, it is actually 609 pixels wide. It's a... 
Posted December 17, 2008 5:18:38 PM
Determine width of text (in pixels) on Windows screen Correct - I take a screen shot, and count the pixels. I compare that to the value my application logs for the calculated width of the string, and they never come out the same. There seems to be some kind of discrepancy either with the conversion f... 
Posted December 17, 2008 4:00:08 PM
Counterclockwise - a Knot in 3D remake released Interesting, I didn't realize that doing stunts would give you ammo, I'll have to try that out. I did get the ammo power-ups from destroying the enemies but I'll give the stunts a go tonight. I also saw that you give demos on how to do the stu... 
Posted September 5, 2006 2:24:11 PM
Counterclockwise - a Knot in 3D remake released I loved this game. Very fun, and simple concept that you've captured very well from the original game. Strong work! I would agree with the above poster that the default configuration for a/s/w/d would work better for movement and mouse look for... 
Posted September 5, 2006 1:27:20 PM
Starting Class in Game Design - Need help from experts I am a Computer Science Department Advisory Board member for a Washington State high school, and have worked with this high school's technology teacher extensively on developing curriculum for her computer science classes, specifically in regard... 
Posted April 21, 2006 4:39:06 PM
Collisions for Ranged attacks? For the 2D scroller I made, I just kept one list of projectiles for the player and one list of projectiles for enemies (I used stl vectors actually, but that's another topic). I assumed enemy projectiles would not hit enemies and player pr... 
Posted February 24, 2006 2:50:37 PM
Collision detection question In the SMUP I developed I used a simple bounding box approach; a master bounding box which covered the entire graphic, and a list of small bounding boxes that covered only the portions of the bitmaps that were actually part of the enemy. If the... 
Posted January 13, 2006 7:11:08 PM
View All Replies Made By This User