Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Stevieboy...  
Full Name Steven 
Nickname Stevieboy 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.geocities.com/steve_2367/ 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1092  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 9/3/2003 8:31:24 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Using the alpha colour in Paint shop pro Hi, I'm working on a simple map format at the moment based on the .png format. I was hoping to use the alpha channel for my model types. Does any one know how to do this? Thanks in advance for any replies. 
Posted December 28, 2006 10:44:44 PM
ofstream questions Hi, I'm currently working on file writing & reading for resources etc, I haven't done much in depth stuff with this since my begginner days, so there are a few things I either missed of have forgotten. 1) With ofstream does a file always get... 
Posted March 20, 2006 7:57:28 PM
How to use shaders from psh & vsh files? Hi, so far I've been able to use a shader from an fx file, but I'd like to use psh & vsh files as I think this is the proper way to learn them (so theres no surprises later on or anything). So whats needed, can you still use HLSL with them? A... 
Posted March 15, 2006 11:31:32 AM
Roman(ish) tower model Ok, this isn't a game engine or anything. I originally thought of this model as being part of a (cheap) quake style fps or something. Currently when I get my terrain engine working I may use this & add to it, I was thinking along the lines o... 
Posted September 19, 2005 11:16:37 PM
Help with skinned mesh Hi, I'm trying to get a skinne dmesh to work. I'm just using a small box shape,(to keep it simple, and so I could learn), which I made in milkshape. It works ok in meshveiwer but I can't get it to work myself. I'm not using any shaders for this, b... 
Posted December 16, 2005 10:40:39 PM
Normal location on plane of point near to plane? Hi, what I mean is if you had a point near a plane how would you find where on a plane that points normal would be, -where would the point project to on the plane? I think this might be similar to trying to find a point on a triangle?.... 
Posted December 4, 2005 1:48:43 AM
Just starting Hi, I've been thinking about trying some cellphone programming, I've got netbeans and the mobile (thingy) library. Do I need to learn Java, (or what), to program with J2ME, will getting a general book on java programming be the thing to do?... 
Posted October 27, 2005 11:07:17 PM
trying to learn shaders I'm trying to learn shaders, but really I don't even know the right questions to ask. effects files? setting up? api calls? constant table? Is it easier to start learning shaders with out .fx files? Should I buy a book?? Any idea's? 
Posted September 4, 2005 9:28:11 PM
vc2005 beta2 - can't find windows.h Hi, I've just done a reinstallation of windows, I've reinstalled vc2005 beta2, and also changed the settings as the vc 2005 (or platform sdk), web page says, but when I try to compile a program it says it can't find windows.h. I think (if it isn't an... 
Posted July 23, 2005 4:24:01 PM
Where to put game loop in vc2005 "new project" Hi, I've got a few problems with trying to use a new windows project generated by vc2005. The first problem is that the message loop is different to what I'm used to (usually I just base my projects on one of the dx tutorials), also I'm no... 
Posted June 8, 2005 4:44:47 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Best HLSL book for beginners? hi, yeah I would have to agree with smally, Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c: A Shader Approach, is the book to get really? - Not only does it have shaders but it also has alot of other directx stuff as well. I started lo... 
Posted February 4, 2008 12:46:47 PM
X file or mesh with 3D app Hi, as I pm'ed you, I got it working with a new .h file and it seems all ok. If you are adding textures you will need to "reserve" more tu & tv (texture coordinates), in your vertex structure, the one you have at the moment seems to be used by y... 
Posted January 18, 2008 10:27:22 AM
X file or mesh with 3D app Hi, yeah its a bit tough really whan youre just starting out :). Are you sure 64 * 64 is too big? As a single terrain that should be ok? The other thing you could do is make heightmaps by hand in a paint program, it's not too hard really, make sur... 
Posted January 15, 2008 6:23:20 AM
Get the right joystick DirectInput Hi, have you called EnumObjects on your gamepad / joystick? Its a callback method to set up the ranges. Look at the sdk joypad sample, that has this function and you can tell quite a lot from it. I don't know why your one starts with -10... 
Posted December 15, 2007 10:43:42 AM
Get the right joystick DirectInput Hi, mine works on the rglSlider[0], member of DIJOYSTATE2. When you call the GetDeviceState method for your joystick, put a brake point in, and look at the initialised parameters, these are the buttons / axis that your device has, (and you ca... 
Posted December 14, 2007 3:52:06 PM
mystery directx texture file Hi there dude can you say anything more about this file? Can you post a picture or code or something? From what you have posted there isn't much to go on? Is it an LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE, or bitmap file etc? Are you using some picture library or some... 
Posted September 30, 2007 2:27:07 AM
simplified car dynamics hi Suliman, I tried some car physics stuff a few years back, but it was quite difficult and really only managed to get turning etc done, so you've already done better than I did. It is really hard to understand to start with though. Have you... 
Posted August 4, 2007 11:39:36 PM
possible for me to make game by myself? Hi, I remember learning directx, I used to use them tutorials as well, everything I did for about 2 years was based on them. I get on ok with dx now, but I still don't know about texture stages and blending etc. One thing that proba... 
Posted April 30, 2007 8:38:51 PM
combine images Hi, I don't really think you have told us enough of what you are trying to do? Are you using quads / D3DXSPRITE, or are you drawing directly to the backbuffer. Do your tiles represent a level which is meant to be scrolled, or are they all meant to be... 
Posted April 29, 2007 5:03:45 PM
Create texture from raw Hi, I checked the size of the "wrong" image you posted, and it was 256 * 256. This makes me think when you load the picture it is being loaded into a texture memory area of the next pow 2 up, (this happens quite a lot and I think is is actually the n... 
Posted April 22, 2007 10:41:26 PM
View All Replies Made By This User