Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Etherstar...  
Full Name Aaron Smith
Nickname Etherstar 
State/Province, Country RI   United States
GD Gathering City Westerly, RI, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://etherstar.wordpress.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1067  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 4/18/2003 11:03:53 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
New Project Advice I'm going to be starting a new 2D game project using SDL and OpenGL. I am quite familiar with doing 2D using immediate mode, however with the recent deprecations set in the OpenGL 3.0 spec, I'm at odds on how to proceed. Should I even be concern... 
Posted December 31, 2008 7:33:32 PM
Debug assertion error on STL list in VC++ I have a list of pointers. I am trying to iterate through that list and delete all the memory those pointers have allocated. void Machina::CullInactives() { for (list<Machina *>::iterator it = inactiveMachina.begin(); it != inactive... 
Posted February 19, 2007 8:53:56 PM
Tuss Toss Tuss Toss is a fast-paced puzzle game inspired by classic block-drop games. Players take on the role of Trixie, an all-star softball pitcher, and stop an invasion of the evil alien Sucks. Using an endless supply of Tuss Soda (which the evil alie... 
Posted October 11, 2006 7:51:23 PM
Removing a GDNet Showcase entry I'm trying to remove a GDNet showcase entry but I am unable to because there are comments on the entry which are not my own. This causes me to receive an error saying that I am not allowed to delete an showcase entry with comments. It is impor... 
Posted October 11, 2006 11:10:39 AM
D3DX TextureLoader and FileStream issue. Here's the issue. I'm using StreamWriter/StreamReader for my file I/O. If I use either of these classes to read or write to a file, and then call TextureLoader.FromFile() I am greeted by a nice spiffy invalid data exception. My theory is that... 
Posted July 4, 2006 6:13:32 PM
Visual C++ keyword: abstract It's been a while since I've used C++ and I came across something strange when using VC++ Express. I am implementing an ADT, and have been of the opinion that to do so would require just making one of the class's methods a pure virtual functi... 
Posted March 31, 2006 12:27:04 PM
Cross language / cross platform questions. I have a couple questions regarding languages and platforms for a networking application that I would like to make. Let it also be known I know next to nothing about networking in programming. Basically what I would ideally like to do is create a... 
Posted November 23, 2005 12:09:00 PM
Rendering to part of a Form I'm currently creating a map editor program for my current project, and I'm trying to figure out how I render to a portion of the map editor's Windows Form using Managed DirectX. If some one who has knowledge of the theory behind how this is do... 
Posted August 31, 2005 3:24:54 PM
Combining Vertex Buffers? Is it possible to combine vertex buffers after they've been created? Here is my current situation: I have a quad which contains 2 triangles with 6 vertices. I want to tile this quad over a large area of 10x10 tiles. Instead of calling drawprimi... 
Posted August 30, 2005 12:57:27 PM
Vertex Format that contsains P C N and T data? I'm using c# and I was wondering why there's no vertex format that includes position, color, normal and texture data. I've run into a situation where I need all of these aspects but apparently there is no customer vertex format that contains all of... 
Posted June 28, 2005 2:03:17 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
New Project Advice Quote:Original post by openglJunkie Quote:Original post by Etherstar I personally just hate the fact that future revisions won't guarantee backwards compatibility. Where did you read that it wouldn't be backwards compatible. The site says plain... 
Posted December 31, 2008 11:45:42 PM
New Project Advice Appreciate the response, and I have read this already. However with no definitive timetable on when deprecated items would be phased out of specification, I really can't judge what to plan for. I personally just hate the fact that future revisio... 
Posted December 31, 2008 10:20:55 PM
Your advice on using copyrighted material in demos-mods-small games Quote:Original post by Yperloxas Have anyone seen this: http://www.transfusion-game.com/ They use not a texture or some sound effect,but the whole data set of the game. But they asked permission for this... They used all the media conten... 
Posted February 22, 2007 3:19:38 PM
Debug assertion error on STL list in VC++ I'm an idiot, turns out I was trying to delete memory of some objects on the stack. Thanks for the help clarifying the source of the error. 
Posted February 20, 2007 4:00:48 PM
C# Questions Anaton, C# is a very good language choice for a mature beginner. Even though safe C# code does not use pointers, I find that to fully understand how objects work in languages like C# and Java, you need to have a good understanding of how pointers... 
Posted January 31, 2007 2:14:03 PM
MDX Windowed App questions Did you make 2 separate Direct3D Devices (one for each render target?)? I once made an app with multiple viewpoints of a scene using MDX and pictureboxes as my rendertargets. I believe that I did all my rendering in the Form's OnPaint metho... 
Posted December 24, 2006 10:52:07 PM
[C#] Exception handling If it were me personally, I would add try/catch blocks all the way up the call hierarchy. To me it would be easier to trace where the exception occurred. That's just my preference though and may be considered verbose. I just like everything as expl... 
Posted December 9, 2006 3:24:42 PM
Major League Gaming TV Series I think that I agree with Tesseract on this one. Spectator Sports are supposed to be a celebration of the human (and sometimes animal) spirit. We cheer for our favorites because they represent the finest and most skilled minds and athletes... 
Posted November 8, 2006 3:48:32 PM
C# Renderloop I've always been a fan of the OnPaint() event handler method. You put your game loop inside an override of your Form's OnPaint method, then call this.Invalidate() at the end of the loop right away. A lot of people feel its hackish and ugly,... 
Posted November 7, 2006 12:14:12 AM
Tuss Toss No need to worry about being a nitpicker, I really appreciate your good eye. Getting it fixed, thanks! 
Posted October 25, 2006 12:05:39 AM
View All Replies Made By This User