Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know musawirali...  
Full Name  
Nickname musawirali 
State/Province, Country FL   United States
GD Gathering City Orlando, FL, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.cs.ucf.edu/~mali 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1066  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 8/5/2005 10:00:50 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
DirectX 11 Compute Shader tutorial With the introduction of DirectX 11 come a number of exciting new features that you as a game developer (or a graphics technology enthusiast) would definitely want to play around with. The most prominent of them are the Tesselation Shaders and th... 
Posted November 26, 2008 8:46:26 PM
Caustics Mapping: Real-time image-space caustics Some images from my research work on real-time caustics rendering. Project webpage: http://graphics.cs.ucf.edu/caustics 
Posted January 30, 2008 3:21:13 PM
Image-Space Subsurface Scattering for Interactive Rendering of Translucent Objects These images are from my recent work on real-time rendering of translucent materials. Translucent materials exhibit subsurface scattering, which is generally complex to simulate for arbitrary object geometry. My rendering algorithm is based ... 
Posted September 25, 2007 11:22:56 PM
Window not being painted on creation Hi Guys, Generally when I write a directx program I call my rendering code in the windows message loop so that its called repeatedly. For the particular application I am working on right now, I need to render only when required ... i.e.,... 
Posted August 5, 2007 7:11:21 PM
Point sprites scaling issue Hey guys, I'm trying to render some point primitives and I am having problems getting them to scale with the view. The problem is, the point sprites always occupy a fixed number of pixels even though I have set POINTSCALEENABLE to true. I have tri... 
Posted September 16, 2006 10:39:47 PM
Render to volume texture slice Anyone know of a fast and efficient way of rendering to a volume texture slice? I know there is the manual way of first rendering to a 2D render target texture and then copying it by locking both textures and doing the transfer. I can imagine this wi... 
Posted February 21, 2006 4:29:30 PM
Real-time Caustics Rendering This summer I have been working on rendering caustics in real-time. I have developed an algorithm which I call "Caustics Mapping". Caustics Mapping is a physically based real-time caustics rendering algorithm. It utilizes the concept of backward... 
Posted August 5, 2005 10:07:27 PM
Real-time Caustics Rendering Real-time Caustics RenderingPosted by: Musawir Ali at August 8, 2005 5:27:11 PMCaustics Mapping is a physically based real-time caustics rendering algorithm. It utilizes the concept of backward ray-tracing, however it involves no expensive computatio... 
Posted August 8, 2005 5:27:11 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Blowing up the video drivers. If it is your executable then what is preventing you from debugging it? What statement is the crash happening at? Does it happen when you try to create a new D3D device or resource? Anyway, I'm not sure what you are asking for here. I don't think... 
Posted February 11, 2010 5:07:58 PM
Input Assembler - Vertex Shader linkage error no, float3 is fine. Are you sure you are using the correct render pass / render primitive combination? 
Posted February 11, 2010 4:50:28 PM
Blowing up the video drivers. It matters the world whether its ATI or NVIDIA, they both have different drivers and one can have the bug whereas the other may not. Anyway, the KMD should never stop working and put the system in an unstable state. Tell me exactly what you... 
Posted February 11, 2010 4:44:59 PM
Updating 8-bit greyscale textures quickly what do you mean when you "lock it it appears the memory is laid out in ARGB"? When you lock it all you get is a sysmem pointer and the surface pitch. How are you determining this layout? If you are accessing this texture in a pixel shader, your 8bit... 
Posted February 11, 2010 4:41:13 PM
calling CreateVertexBuffer/CreateTexture when the device is lost hence the reference to "D3D vidmem resources". If you are using managed or sysmem resources then you shouldn't be having problems with dangling resource memory anyway, so we assumed that you are talking about vidmem. 
Posted February 11, 2010 4:32:56 PM
Input Assembler - Vertex Shader linkage error we'll need to see what your vertex shader looks like. 
Posted February 11, 2010 4:28:47 PM
Blowing up the video drivers. When you get the "driver stop responding" message, that means your Kernel Mode Driver has crashed. Under WDDM, there is a user mode and a kernel mode driver component. When something bad happens in the user mode driver, the app would just crash but y... 
Posted February 11, 2010 4:24:22 PM
calling CreateVertexBuffer/CreateTexture when the device is lost you don't need a timer. Before you start rendering your frame (or using your D3D vidmem resources), call TestCoooperativeLevel() on your device and check if it needs to be reset. If it does, reset the device and recreate your resources, and then... 
Posted February 11, 2010 4:15:06 PM
The easiest way of getting a pixel from a D3D Window. Downloading RT surface to system memory every 0.5 seconds and then iterating over the pixels on CPU is just plain bad. What you should do instead is write a shader that can be run every 0.5 seconds that does what you want. Bind an offscreen... 
Posted January 29, 2010 8:16:07 PM
My game is crashing looking at the code, none of the lines below look like they should "crash". The only potential crash would be at the SetSamplerState() calls if the D3DDEVICE9 pointer was NULL. if a D3D/D3DX function fails due to whatever reason it will probably... 
Posted January 29, 2010 8:05:09 PM
View All Replies Made By This User