Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know nilkn...  
Full Name Zach 
Nickname nilkn 
State/Province, Country MO   United States
GD Gathering City Lebanon, MO, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://zpconn.wordpress.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Student 
Job Description I am a sophomore studying mathematics. 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1552  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 3/10/2005 8:03:17 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Pricing for English tutoring I'm studying abroad this semester in Russia. This summer I met someone who's from here, and she is friends with a family who has a 7 year old boy for whom they would like to set up one-on-one English lessons with a native speaker once a wee... 
Posted September 23, 2010 12:43:07 PM
Determining if a collection of convex polygons has nonempty intersection I have a finite collection of convex polygons in the plane. I'd like to determine in the fastest way possible whether or not their set-theoretic intersection is empty or not. In the case of only two such polygons, this is easy using the metho... 
Posted July 27, 2010 11:31:41 PM
Console interaction using Wild Magic 5 on Windows I'm building an application that has to do a lot of heavy-duty computational geometry, and I've decided to use the Wild Magic 5 library as a base for the program. The program just needs to run in a console--there's nothing to draw--so I'm using th... 
Posted July 29, 2010 5:21:40 PM
4x4 reflection matrices Given a unit vector u in R4, I'd like to build a matrix that performs reflection in the hyperplane orthogonal to u and intersecting the origin. I considered doing it by conjugating the standard reflection matrix in the hyperplane orthogonal to (1,... 
Posted July 27, 2010 9:34:29 AM
Learning Russian It looks like I may be participating in the Math in Moscow study abroad program next semester. The program is in English, but a Russian course is offered there, and I'd like to use this as an opportunity to learn a foreign language to some degree. ... 
Posted March 31, 2010 6:16:38 PM
Taking a semester off For various complicated personal reasons, I'm considering packing my stuff up at college and going home for the rest of the semester. I'd lose a half-semester's worth of work, but I'm thinking it may be worth it. For those curious about some of the d... 
Posted March 8, 2010 11:25:49 AM
Did anyone take the Putnam exam today? Did anybody here take the Putnam exam today? I took it for the first time. I didn't do as well as I expected, but I think I got three solved completely (A1, B1, B2) and some partial work on two others (the determinant one and the finite... 
Posted December 5, 2009 7:36:50 PM
I'm split: career and education decisions [First, I apologize for the length of this post!] My first year of college is over, and I am as confused as ever about what I want to do with my life. I'm hoping that someone who has been in a similar situation here could offer up their story abou... 
Posted May 21, 2009 7:20:53 PM
Programming internship over the summer I'm a freshman majoring in computer science and mathematics. I have quite a lot of experience programming in my spare time, I've got top grades in my classes so far, and I have a part time job at a small, local software company, although I don't writ... 
Posted December 16, 2008 10:02:19 PM
Is it feasible to make decent money from ads on a website? I'm in the process of writing some rather extensive articles on mathematics for computer graphics. Currently, the articles are in the form of a webpage. I've considered seeking out a publisher, but I figured there are already several good books... 
Posted October 6, 2008 12:07:01 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Technology, intelligence, and unemployment Quote:Original post by tstrimp I wonder if communism could actually work when machines are doing all of the work. A very interesting point which I must now contemplate! 
Posted December 20, 2010 7:26:45 PM
Pi = 4. Discuss. I wasn't talking about second and higher derivatives. Is your question why one needs the convergence of the sequence of first derivatives in order for arc length to commute with the limit operation but one does not need convergence of highe... 
Posted December 5, 2010 12:35:33 PM
Pi = 4. Discuss. Quote:Original post by Eelco Quote:Original post by nilkn Quote:Original post by szecs I'm pretty sure it should be easy to explain with mathematics (convergence, "lim" stuff and formulas), but I want to be convinced with simple GEOMETRY. Just lik... 
Posted December 5, 2010 6:35:02 AM
Pi = 4. Discuss. Quote:Original post by FenrisulvurDo you have any idea how many vector spaces can be constructed on R*R? One--the two-dimensional real vector space or the one-dimensional complex space (i.e., the complex numbers C), depending on how... 
Posted December 5, 2010 4:00:14 AM
Pi = 4. Discuss. Write down the integrals for the lengths in the two cases. On the one hand, you have the length of the limit curve. On the other hand, you have the limit of the lengths of the individual curve. There is in general no reason to suppose th... 
Posted December 4, 2010 7:03:02 AM
Pi = 4. Discuss. Quote:Original post by szecs I'm pretty sure it should be easy to explain with mathematics (convergence, "lim" stuff and formulas), but I want to be convinced with simple GEOMETRY. Just like Archimedes would. So that I can IMAGINE it. I feel it h... 
Posted December 4, 2010 6:57:23 AM
Pi = 4. Discuss. Quote:Original post by Platinum314 The limit curve is 'infinitely' squiggly/pointy (Non-differentiable everywhere). The area is being monotonically reduced each time with the limit converging to PI*r^2 as any area outside of the circle eventuall... 
Posted December 3, 2010 1:52:43 PM
Pi = 4. Discuss. In my first post I asserted that the limit curve is not a circle. I was wrong. It does converge to a circle, and this is clear just from the definitions. The root issue here is that limits and derivatives do not generally commute, and they fail to... 
Posted December 3, 2010 11:27:10 AM
Pi = 4. Discuss. The limit curve is not a circle. Is it even differentiable at any point? 
Posted December 1, 2010 5:43:01 PM
If WW3 occurs within the next 6 months, thank WikiLeaks Most of the material that was published is nothing more than high school gossip. It's US diplomats stating their opinions about important figures from other countries. This doesn't need to be public. US diplomats are allowed to have their opinions ab... 
Posted November 29, 2010 4:01:28 AM
View All Replies Made By This User