Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know matthughson...  
Full Name Matt Hughson
Nickname matthughson 
State/Province, Country British Columbia   Canada
GD Gathering City Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.matthughson.com/ 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Senior Software Engineer 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1322  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 8/10/2004 3:31:04 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Man Moments - Post Mortem (Dream Build Play XNA Project) Trailer For anyone interested, I thought I'd take some time to write about the development of our Old Spice Challenge entry, Man Moments. I'm always curious what tools, development methodologies, and challenges, other teams have used and/or su... 
Posted March 5, 2010 12:29:06 PM
[C#] List.Sort is Non-Deterministic? Hi, I am trying to use a custom sort delegate with my List in C#. It seems that the result is not deterministic, in that I have a list of items, all with equal values, but the order of the list is different every time I call the Sort method. I... 
Posted February 14, 2010 2:01:54 AM
[XNA] XSI Light Being Applied BEFORE World/Model Transforms [SOLVED] Hi, I recently noticed an issue with my renderer. I am using the XSI run-time to render skinned meshes in my XNA game. When I apply a rotation to my model via the the world transformation the lighting seems to get applied before the model is rot... 
Posted February 14, 2010 4:09:42 PM
[XNA] XSI Animations Speed Up With Each Instance - No One Else Seeing This? [SOLVED] Hi, I am using the XSI Runtime to render and animate my skinned meshes. It works fine, except that each instance of a particular model shares the same animation data. I believe it is instancing the skeleton, or something along those lines. T... 
Posted February 17, 2010 5:49:04 PM
[XNA] Blurry Fuzzy Textures Hi, We are finding that some of our game textures are showing up quite blurry. I believe that this is due to mip mapping, or filtering of some sort. This is great for most textures in our game, but this texture in particular contains text, which b... 
Posted February 17, 2010 5:51:43 PM
gamedev.net constantly down for me I'm experiencing something really weird. It seems like something I am doing is making it impossible for me to connect to gamedev.net. Here's what happens: I try to reply to one of my old posts. Everything works fine up to the point that I... 
Posted February 16, 2010 1:08:19 PM
[XNA] Default XML Values Hey, Is it possible to set up an XML to have default values for certain elements? What I am trying to do is add a new member to my base game object class. These objects are initialized by reading in XML data into a Definition class. public... 
Posted February 14, 2010 2:52:08 PM
Switching Rotation Center Point Hi, I am working on some gameplay very similar to this: King of Swing In particular the idea of moving hand over hand by rotating around one hand at a time. I have implemented the first part of this; i can rotate around each hand.... 
Posted January 24, 2010 9:50:25 PM
Maya 7 X File Exporter Is there still no alternative to the exporter that comes with the DX SDK? I've done some searching but haven't been able to find anything. The best I found was a series of steps to get from maya to x format (ie. through deep exploration), but I'd p... 
Posted July 3, 2006 2:05:59 PM
Netbeans - Using a Library Hey Guys, I'm really new to this stuff, and I need to use an external library, but I have no idea how to get it into my project. I'm using NetBeans, and I'm totally new to the IDE and Java in general. The library include the follow files: GoFP.... 
Posted April 9, 2006 7:13:47 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
[XNA] XSI Light Being Applied BEFORE World/Model Transforms [SOLVED] I was able to come up with a solution, detailed here: http://forums.xna.com/forums/t/43035.aspx It came down to the fact that the default skinned vertex shader that comes with XSI does not transform the Normals with the World/Model matrix. You ha... 
Posted February 19, 2010 7:33:46 PM
Models, Animations and XNA I suggest looking into XSI|SoftImage's free modeling software, Mod Tool. It has been fully integrated into the XNA work flow and supports a lot of different features (skinning, materials, etc). It seems like Mod Tool is becoming the standard modeli... 
Posted February 18, 2010 6:11:59 PM
Ethanon engine (2D w/ per pixel lighting) Quote:Original post by andrew1b This[/b] video shows some of the content creation tools. Still, I recommend you to try it yourself, I'd be glad to know about your impressions. It uses normal maps for lighting. All the normals must be created usin... 
Posted February 18, 2010 1:17:25 PM
[XNA] XSI Animations Speed Up With Each Instance - No One Else Seeing This? [SOLVED] I ended up using the solution found here. Simon has posted a porject with the full solution at the bottom of the thread. 
Posted February 18, 2010 1:12:50 PM
[XNA] Blurry Fuzzy Textures Quote:Original post by remigius You can turn off mipmap generation for a texture in Game Studio by opening it's properties from the content folder and under Content Processor setting Generate Mipmaps to false. That is looking really, really bl... 
Posted February 18, 2010 12:04:50 PM
[XNA] XSI Animations Speed Up With Each Instance - No One Else Seeing This? [SOLVED] Quote:Original post by Semei Well and if you want to animate a lot of models in the same way and speed you just create one(!) instance of that model, call one(!) PlayBack on that single model. And use shader/harware instancing to dra... 
Posted February 17, 2010 10:14:16 PM
Aces Wild, Baby! Video looks great! Great work on the camera shake and hit effects. 
Posted February 16, 2010 4:22:57 PM
Ethanon engine (2D w/ per pixel lighting) Looks great! Love to see some videos of how the content is created (does it use normal maps, etc). 
Posted February 16, 2010 4:19:21 PM
[XNA] XSI Light Being Applied BEFORE World/Model Transforms [SOLVED] Ok, I am unable to post the code in a reply for some reason, so the best I can do is link to the files: Phong.fx xsi_defaultvs.hlsl xsi_include9.hlsl xsi_lightdef9.hlsl Hope this is enough to help me out with this. Again, sorry if you... 
Posted February 16, 2010 2:22:15 PM
gamedev.net constantly down for me Ok well at least I'm not alone :) FYI: I tried both FireFox and IE; both behave the same. 
Posted February 16, 2010 2:00:54 PM
View All Replies Made By This User