Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know shirsoft...  
Full Name Shireesh Agrawal
Nickname shirsoft 
State/Province, Country CA   United States
GD Gathering City Stanford, CA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.geocities.com/shirsoft/ 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID shirsoft 
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1004  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 4/6/2004 3:39:30 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Simple image file format Hi guys, I keep running into problems when working with images with more than 8 bit channels, like float textures. I was thinking of simple file format which contains the following: width, height, num channels, data_type=8,16,32 int, float, dou... 
Posted May 30, 2009 4:56:30 PM
MSVC8 doesnt support pubsetbuf on stringstreams? Hello All, Our code uses fstream to read/write floats one at a time so obviously it runs pretty slow. We were thinking of improving the performance without changing much of the code so decided to read the file into a istringstream and use thi... 
Posted April 30, 2009 5:25:23 AM
Optimal partition plane for ABT I remember seeing the ABT thread in which Yann explained how one can find a partition plane. Couple of days back, I was attending a lecture at school where they were discussing about the same thing but wrt to raytracing. The sample positions fo... 
Posted April 8, 2009 11:04:42 PM
Hidef nes games So you may wonder whats with this crappy mario screenshot. Its not hi-def; well not yet. I recently had the idea of making a tool to replace the graphics of old nes games but using their existing game logic. As a proof of concept, I extracted ou... 
Posted March 26, 2009 2:33:43 PM
Looking for a nes game Hello everyone, I am looking for a nes game I used to play. The game was in japanese so I dont know its name. It was 2 to 4 player wrestling game but was more on the supernatural side then realistic. In team mode, you could tag with your team... 
Posted March 28, 2009 3:09:39 AM
Time breakup (no 3d) This has nothing to do with 3D graphics. I had been running tight on schedule with my school work and wasnt sure how I was using my time. So I came up with this excel sheet to keep track of my time. Yes it is been done a lot before; my focus h... 
Posted February 23, 2009 1:48:35 PM
Graphic card freezes Hello everyone, I have been experiencing strange graphic card freezes ever since I 'fixed' my macbook pro. Few weeks ago my macbook pro right fan started to make a buzzing chainsaw sound. On pressing the problem area the noise went away. So I... 
Posted February 1, 2009 9:07:05 PM
Days when every thing goes wrong Yeah so last few weeks its been like everything goes wrong. Its like I forget to take care of one small detail and life says gotchya. I found it upsetting at first but now its kind of amusing. I wonder how bad can it be. Has it happened to you... 
Posted January 15, 2009 10:27:42 PM
'Out for a walk I am attaching some screenshots from our game which was developed during our course project. We were a team of three and I did the graphics work. I also paid special attention to the 3d assets as usually they are pretty bad due to programmer art. It... 
Posted December 14, 2008 3:14:47 PM
Jagged edges with shadow maps I am currently working on a school game project. I am using shadowmaps for shadowing. Problem is that the shadow looks quite jagged and choppy even though I am using a 1024x1024 shadow map. I am not using any other kind of lighting in the shader... 
Posted November 29, 2008 7:04:00 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Programming - Outsourced? I agree with Rycross. Most of the work thats outsourced is about implementing than designing which doesnt require great software development skills. Most of the outsourcing that happens is in the services industry where its more efficient for a compa... 
Posted September 2, 2009 1:45:55 PM
Simple image file format Well I have been dealing with some floating point textures generated in glsl and obviously my code had some bugs in it. I can export the data back but its difficult to visualize since I wasnt using any image library like free image. I then ended up e... 
Posted May 30, 2009 8:39:02 PM
Plane9 Visualizer v1.0 looks nice! 
Posted May 29, 2009 7:45:01 PM
Neuroarena - multiplayer online realtime strategy ... in FLASH ) I really like the music but it just doest connect :(. I created 2 players also. 
Posted May 7, 2009 11:12:22 PM
MSVC8 doesnt support pubsetbuf on stringstreams? Yes you are right, I didnt have any noticeable speed improvements. I guees the only way would be to read in bigger chunks I believe? As for the RAM part, a typlical file is about 20mb containing mostly point data but we load it it ends up tak... 
Posted April 30, 2009 6:19:26 PM
MSVC8 doesnt support pubsetbuf on stringstreams? Thanks so much. I had almost given up on it. 
Posted April 30, 2009 3:32:21 PM
Primate Plunge Really cute graphics. You have a lot of talent! 
Posted April 22, 2009 11:29:29 PM
Hidef nes games Quote:Original post by Daaark This problem has already been tackled. Look up an algorithm called hq4. It's been used in emulators, and in the recent 360 game Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. http://www.hiend3d.com/hq4x.html That is really... 
Posted April 6, 2009 11:45:56 PM
Hidef nes games Quote:Original post by Ravyne If you have a bank of high-res images with variations for each palette that might be encountered, then you can create a map which takes into account which tiles are mapped into CHR ROM/RAM, what tile is being drawn, and... 
Posted March 30, 2009 4:52:11 AM
Hidef nes games Quote:Original post by FritzMar a Pallet is a selection of colors, in example you have a 4 bit color display you end up with a max of 16 colors that can be on the screen at any one time. the idea of pallet animation is that you swap out th... 
Posted March 30, 2009 12:25:02 AM
View All Replies Made By This User