Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Jan K...  
Full Name  
Nickname Jan K 
State/Province, Country Nordrhein-Westfalen   Germany
GD Gathering City Aachen, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.ArtifactGames.de 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1035  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 9/19/2006 4:43:57 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
D3D11: Adding Custom Messages to PIX's log Hi I'd like to add custom messages to the log that can be created when using PIX and a debug-context. I thought that ID3D11InfoQueue would allow this, but it seems not to work. Also D3D9 seemed to have BeginEvent / EndEvent calls to group batches... 
Posted January 3, 2011 2:05:44 PM
D3D11: Creating 3D textures with format DXT5 / BC3 Hi there I am trying to load a 3D texture into D3D that is compressed using the DXT5 / BC3 format. I have successfully loaded it into OpenGL, where the NV_vtc extension explicitly defines how to do this (see here: http://www.opengl.org/registry... 
Posted January 2, 2011 1:08:00 PM
Game Engine I have just finished my diploma in Computer Science and now I am looking for a job as a game engine / graphics engine programmer in Germany or the US. I have been programming with C++ and OpenGL for about 10 years now. The pictures show some resul... 
Posted December 6, 2010 12:06:48 PM
Making an extensible 3D editor Hi I have an editor to create levels for my 3D engine. I am mostly quite happy with it, but over time more and more functionality is added, making it harder to maintain and making compile-time quite long. So far everything is statically compile... 
Posted October 26, 2010 2:09:04 PM
[D3D11] How / when to properly destroy a Vertex-Buffer ? Hi I have stumbled upon an annoying problem: For text-rendering and some other stuff, i use an abstraction that creates vertex and index-buffers on the fly, issues the drawcall and then destroys the buffer again. Now i found out that de... 
Posted June 18, 2010 6:41:21 PM
[D3D11] Equivalent for glBlitFramebuffer ? Hi I'm porting some OpenGL code to D3D 11 and stumbled upon an annoying problem: There seems to be no equivalent function for glBlitFramebuffer in D3D. All i want to do is copy/blit a texture into another texture. In D3D11 i found ID3D11DeviceC... 
Posted June 2, 2010 2:10:17 PM
D3D11: Sometimes black window after fullscreen-switch Hi After googling for hours and not finding anything specific to my problem, i'll post this here: I'm new to D3D11 and currently i am working on window-resizing etc. Of course i ran into the problem with PIX telling me that after switch... 
Posted May 28, 2010 9:06:11 AM
D3D11: Create Input-Layout without vertex-shader blob Hi Is there a way to create an input-layout without having the vertex-shader's blob around? At run-time i can query the current vertex-shader, but it seems there is no way to use that to create an input-layout. The simple problem is, that... 
Posted May 7, 2010 3:03:08 PM
SSE Performance Hi I am currently learning a bit of SSE(2) programming, using intrinsics. As far as i can tell from searching these forums and Google, it seems to be a common misconception, that SSE is generally faster than x87 code. One article mentioned,... 
Posted March 20, 2010 12:29:38 PM
Blender: Properly export bone weights Hi there I want to use an animated character in my game. I have found one that is a good test object. I can import it into Blender and play its animation, it looks very good. Now i export it as an x-file (DirectX file format) and load it i... 
Posted August 19, 2009 9:17:08 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
D3D11: Adding Custom Messages to PIX's log Ah, I didn't notice that! Thanks for the info, I'll try it tomorrow. Jan. 
Posted January 3, 2011 7:11:57 PM
D3D11: Adding Custom Messages to PIX's log Don't I need a D3D9 device for that? 
Posted January 3, 2011 6:50:37 PM
D3D11: Creating 3D textures with format DXT5 / BC3 Ok, I found it out. D3D does not use the same format as OpenGL for compressed volume textures. Instead simply each slice of the volume is compressed like a normal 2D texture. No data rearrangement is necessary. Then the sysmempitch etc. are as... 
Posted January 2, 2011 5:44:40 PM
D3D11: Creating 3D textures with format DXT5 / BC3 Yeah tried all that, doesn't work. The problem with 3D textures is that they are stored as 4x4x4 blocks, so one "line" would actually be a slab (or volume) and it is not intuitive how the "line" and "slice" are then to be considered. And s... 
Posted January 2, 2011 1:54:07 PM
Game Engine BTW: The "night-mode" can be seen in this video starting after two minutes. 
Posted December 9, 2010 6:31:56 AM
Game Engine First I need to mention, that the Virtual Aachen Project wasn't done by me alone, but by a group of people working for my university. *I* wrote the engine that visualizes the results, and also I implemented the AI for the vehicles and pedestrians. Mo... 
Posted December 9, 2010 6:22:48 AM
[D3D11] How / when to properly destroy a Vertex-Buffer ? Yeah, i have implemented a queue now, where the resources are destroyed with a 1 second delay. It works. But it feels hacky. 
Posted June 19, 2010 10:42:47 AM
[D3D11] How / when to properly destroy a Vertex-Buffer ? The thing is that the library that implements the allocating/storing/rendering is not meant to be used for high-performance rendering. Its only purpose is to make it quick and easy to get something on screen. It implements a rendering s... 
Posted June 19, 2010 5:28:06 AM
[D3D11] Equivalent for glBlitFramebuffer ? That's great thank you! So is the documentation incorrect or did i misunderstand it? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff476392%28VS.85%29.aspx Under Remarks it says "Immutable, and depth-stencil resources cannot be used as a destination... 
Posted June 3, 2010 6:08:27 AM
[D3D11] Equivalent for glBlitFramebuffer ? I usually only want to make an exact copy of a depth-texture, such that i can make a snapshot of the current depth-buffer and use it for later render-passes as an input-texture. I am a bit surprised, that even an EXACT copy of depth-stencil text... 
Posted June 2, 2010 7:56:19 PM
View All Replies Made By This User