Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know eppo...  
Full Name  
Nickname eppo 
State/Province, Country    Netherlands
GD Gathering City Voorthuizen, , Netherlands
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.dynamique.nl 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1005  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 3/14/2008 10:16:44 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Declaring comparison samplers How do I declare a sampler (ps_4_0, outside of the effects framework) to pass as the first argument to SampleCmpLevelZero()? If I use a sampler I normally use to sample a texture object, the compiler gives me: error X3017: 'SampleCmpLevelZero': c... 
Posted September 22, 2010 10:22:01 AM
D3D10 memory usage Is there a way to determine the combined amount of memory in use by all resources ( vertex/index/texture-buffers etc.) I have created? It doesn't really matter whether the API's manager is keeping them in system or video mem. I only need a rough... 
Posted August 16, 2010 4:05:26 AM
Reading from a floating point surface Hi, I've run into a problem when reading back from a D3DFMT_R32F render target (DirectX 9). Basically, I get some really bad artifacting around object edges when I sample the texture. Some lights in my scene have a falloff based on a pixel's... 
Posted December 21, 2009 6:19:29 AM
Hermite splines Hi, I can't seem to figure out how to do the following: how can I rewrite a standard 2D Hermite spline (as in the picture below) into a "V as a function of T"-form? I've imported timeline-curves like these from a 3D animation app, but I can't get... 
Posted August 21, 2009 5:11:27 AM
Multi-CPU usage Hi, I'm looking for a way to determine a process's cpu usage of individual cores on a multi-cpu Windows NT system. I know I could probably use WMI, but that seems like a little overkill to me (if you compare it to something as simple as getPr... 
Posted July 15, 2009 12:25:14 PM
Gjk and point of contact Say I do a collision test on two objects (A - B = C) using GJK and the test returns "no collision", is it safe to say that the closest points between A and B can be seen as being the closest points between the primitives that form the simplex (p... 
Posted June 29, 2009 7:06:38 AM
Slope-weight Beziers Hi, I'm writing a scene importer for Modo's LXO format. Envelopes (Bezier curves) in a LXO-file have their tangents defined as two scalars, "slope" and "weight". I assumed they could be interpreted as "angle" and "length" respectively, but this do... 
Posted May 9, 2009 8:05:57 AM
Terrain texturing I'm looking for some good reading on terrain texturing. Especially when it comes to repeating textures on coarse/irregular terrain. I feel I too often end up with inefficiently textured pieces of landscape. Maybe there's some game's level e... 
Posted March 28, 2009 9:44:59 AM
Grow While working on another project I ended up with a couple of model generator scripts (for things like terrain and trees). I thought it would be nice to bundle and wrap them in a little GUI. It uses Direct3D9 for both the model rendering and the... 
Posted March 11, 2009 2:14:06 PM
Bungel This started out mainly as an exercise in setting up a basic renderer and getting familiar with all the usual effects like cube- and normal mapping and different shadowing techniques. After that I decided to try and implement a general collision syst... 
Posted February 10, 2009 4:09:28 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Declaring comparison samplers I was trying to SampleCmp() from a Texture2DArray, which is not supported for ps_4_0. The SDK mentions both the keywords "sampler" and "SamplerState" and when passing a SamplerComparisonState object didn't work for me, I falsely assumed the capita... 
Posted September 23, 2010 9:37:43 AM
Creating a matrix for a billboarded quad? You can first tranform the quad's vertices with the inverse of your view-matrix (without the translational part). This should "undo" the rotation caused by the actual view-matrix. 
Posted September 22, 2010 10:36:22 AM
[HLSL] Vertex mapping in vs_4_0 TextureObject.sampleLevel(SamplerStateObject, location, mipMapLevel); "location" has a different type depending on whether TextureObject is a Texture2D, Texture3D etc. object. 
Posted August 26, 2010 9:56:46 AM
Question about Gilbert-Johnson-Keerthi distance algorithm Google for "hill climbing". This is often used for finding extreme vertices in convex polyhedra. Basically, you pick one vertex in a mesh (could be the extreme vertex from an earlier test) and do the direction-dot-vertex test for all neighbou... 
Posted August 26, 2010 9:30:26 AM
Visual C++ NET and DirectX: What the...?? The Win32 api isn't perfect, but all you'll likely do if you're focusing on learning DX10 is create a window and maybe do some filesystem or thread related things. It's not the end of the world. Besides, even if you would use OpenGL (which yo... 
Posted May 26, 2010 7:15:23 AM
Leaf alhpa test and white edge D3DXCreateTextureFromFile() automatically generates mipmaps for you. One thing you can try quickly is to set the color of all transparent pixels to roughly the same color as the leaf. 
Posted May 10, 2010 6:27:13 AM
Leaf alhpa test and white edge How do you generate the mipmaps? Even though certain white (rgb = 255, alpha = 0) pixels are below any alpha threshold you set when point sampling they may still be used when you use a standard api bi-linear filtering tool to create mipmaps. Be... 
Posted May 10, 2010 5:52:23 AM
Deliverant I can't run it. I've installed the VC2008 redist and updated DX9, but both the game and the editor fail to run with a message "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.". Still, it looks promising. No... 
Posted April 9, 2010 6:29:54 AM
Cavity Mapping, replicating realtime ZBrush shading I think the second screenshot replicates that "old bronze statue"-effect really well. 
Posted April 5, 2010 5:36:20 AM
YinYangYou Interesting! Want to play. 
Posted September 23, 2009 5:05:17 AM
View All Replies Made By This User