Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know HopeDagger...  GDNet+
Full Name Stephen Whitmore
Nickname HopeDagger 
State/Province, Country Ontario   Canada
GD Gathering City Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~swhitmor/ 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Student / Hobbyist Game Developer 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1580  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 6/26/2004 11:05:15 PM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/hopedagger/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Electromagnetic Adventures: 24-Hour Game Electromagnetic Adventures -- phew, that's tiring, how about 'EMA'? -- is a physics-based coffee-break calibre puzzle game, including nine levels of increasing difficulty. It was written in C++, using SDL and the very nifty Chipmunk physics library.... 
Posted December 14, 2009 9:03:12 PM
Gundown -- an explodin' good time! Gundown is an addictive 2D arcade-themed game, placing the player in the role of gunning/maneuvering an artillery contraption. You are pitted against wave after wave of foes assaulting by both ground and air, faced with the task of preventing any ene... 
Posted August 27, 2007 9:40:05 PM
What do you get when you mix a space fighter with 12 tonnes of cytoplasm? Enter Membrane Massacre. The year is 2160. A deadly bacteria is sweeping the world -- the likes of which medical science has never encountered before. The world's best doctors have failed to find a cure. And so what is the fate of mankind? Ente... 
Posted March 31, 2007 12:25:48 AM
Predictable sin/cos rounding errors? This really smells like a rookie mistake to me, so I felt this belonged best in the beginners' forum. The relevant code in question is as follows: const float rot = 45; float cos_v = cos(rot*D2R); float sin_v = sin(rot*D2R); for(... 
Posted July 19, 2008 9:29:24 AM
Game timing: maintaining a constant number of updates-per-second My game project currently uses frame-rate independant timing, such that it will attempt to update game logic at a constant 60 times per-second irregardless of what the framerate is. This works by gauging how long the previous frame took to render, an... 
Posted September 12, 2007 3:21:41 PM
What do you get when you mix a space fighter with 12 tonnes of cytoplasm? Enter Membrane Massacre. The year is 2160. A deadly bacteria is sweeping the world -- the likes of which medical science has never encountered before. The world's best doctors have failed to find a cure. And so what is the fate of mankind? Ente... 
Posted March 29, 2007 10:39:11 PM
[C++] Evading naming conflicts I'm writing a program that makes use of a Curses library, which defines a clear() function amongst many others. However, I'm also using the STL 'string' class, which defines a method clear() as well. Unfortunately, these two are conflicting. Is there... 
Posted December 26, 2006 12:34:07 AM
Oh crap, here come the cells! Enter Membrane Massacre. A deadly bacteria is sweeping the world, and medical science has lost all hope of defeating it. Luckily for you, Dr. Smallship, that you have invented a shrinking device that will allow you to shrink a heavily-armed space fig... 
Posted November 21, 2006 8:28:52 PM
Oh crap, here come the cells! Enter Membrane Massacre. A deadly bacteria is sweeping the world, and medical science has lost all hope of defeating it. Luckily for you, Dr. Smallship, that you have invented a shrinking device that will allow you to shrink a heavily-armed space fig... 
Posted November 21, 2006 8:43:40 PM
[Solved] wglUseBitmapFonts() not available with SDL? Greetings! I am currently developing with the infamous SDL+OpenGL library combination, and am at the point where I need to get some text going onscreen. From the various font-rendering methods available via OpenGL, I found bitmap fonts the mo... 
Posted August 16, 2006 4:33:41 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Nth Factorial Have you considered rolling out your own "big integer" type that internally allocates its own memory as its value gets larger? You will very likely need _something_ of the sort, since fixed-size integers CAN and WILL overflow. I'm sure there are so... 
Posted June 2, 2010 6:04:20 PM
Electromagnetic Adventures: 24-Hour Game Quote:Original post by Shadownami92 It is an interesting concept, but it really is an easy game to get fed up at. You lose if your minerals run off the sides, you lose if the wrong colors touch each-other. You can only lift up a mineral so high... 
Posted December 19, 2009 5:08:16 PM
Electromagnetic Adventures: 24-Hour Game Quote:Original post by becoolnike Good physics. I am wonder how many students made this 24 hour project. I wrote this particular one, but there were other excellent entries as well. Pop on over to UW GDC to see the entrants from our mo... 
Posted December 19, 2009 2:35:27 PM
Electromagnetic Adventures: 24-Hour Game It's very likely worth noting that the debug feature of skipping levels is still available, with the 'T' key. 
Posted December 16, 2009 4:16:39 PM
Exploring Metaballs and Isosurfaces in 2D Quote:Original post by MrRowl The article is nice as far as it goes, but it's a shame that there's not even a mention of other rendering methods - in particular marching cubes (and the equivalent in 2D) - since in practice (I assume) per-pixel probi... 
Posted September 17, 2008 3:07:54 PM
Exploring Metaballs and Isosurfaces in 2D Thank you for all of the positive comments. I'm looking forward to pumping out some more articles in the (near!) future. [smile] 
Posted September 7, 2008 10:20:50 AM
Predictable sin/cos rounding errors? @Erik: Thanks for the response! And you're 100% right: for the given shape that I'm using, they simply cannot possibly line up the way I wanted them to. I'll have to take a different approach to the rendering. Rating++'s all around. Sorry for not... 
Posted July 20, 2008 3:45:29 PM
Predictable sin/cos rounding errors? Quote:Original post by Erik Rufelt Does pgm->render always draw the same image? Or is the image drawn also rotated? In this case it's the same image drawn exactly the same each time -- just a straight-up SDL_BlitSurface() call of the same ima... 
Posted July 20, 2008 1:07:38 PM
Predictable sin/cos rounding errors? Quote:Original post by Splinter of ChaosWhat happens if rot is zero? Try rotating it real-time. Do you have a problem for ANY angle? Sorry, I must have not been clear in my original post: these off-by-one errors occur at every angle. I just chose... 
Posted July 20, 2008 11:25:16 AM
Predictable sin/cos rounding errors? @swiftcoder & Mike: I'm using SDL for the rendering portion, which uses integer coordinates in rendering. I've tried both regular cast-to-int rounding, as well as substituted in a proper rounding function, and neither account for the error in drawing... 
Posted July 19, 2008 9:20:43 PM
View All Replies Made By This User