Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Dark_Nebula...  
Full Name Jonas Risbrandt
Nickname Dark_Nebula 
State/Province, Country Skane Lan   Sweden
GD Gathering City Lund, Skane Lan, Sweden
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://risbrandt.blogspot.com/ 
ICQ ID 10190506 
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Student 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1078  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 1/29/2004 10:58:05 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
C# Terrain Engine I just added atmospheric scattering to my terrain engine, and since it turned out quite nice I thought I could as well submit a few screenshots. It's based on the regular Hoffman/Preetham paper and it took a while to get it to look good. A... 
Posted March 30, 2006 1:23:59 AM
Interactive indirect illumination These are screenshots from a demo I'm doing as part of my masters thesis. It's about practical indirect illumination for totally dynamic scenes. All objects and lights are movable and all materials can be changed and altered at runtime. There is &... 
Posted March 7, 2008 12:05:52 PM
Lightsmark realtime GI - how do they do it? Hi, During my daily scan for info on realtime GI, I came across the Lightsmark demo from the Stepan Hrbek at Lightsprint. It's very inmpressive! Does anyone know how this is done? There is some info at the authors website, and it seems tha... 
Posted October 26, 2007 5:45:11 AM
Free .Net flow graph visualization library? I'm developing a new shader system inspired by the "shader tree" approach as seen in Unreal engine 3 and DICE's Frostbite. To support this in the editor I need to be able to visualize and modyfiy the shader graph (as seen in screenies from the ab... 
Posted May 28, 2007 4:23:38 AM
Is anyone really using Managed DirectX? Just to sort things out, I do *not* intend to start another C++ vs C# flame war with this thread. Please keep things that way:) I have been playing around with the managed API for some time and I'm quite pleased with the results so far. It's so si... 
Posted August 3, 2004 10:41:56 AM
Scene graphs and spartial partitioning I have a scene graph to allow hierarchic transformations etc. I have a hard time figuring how I would add various spartial partitioning schemes. I would like the scene graph hiearchy to be independent of the spartial partitioning as much as possible,... 
Posted January 30, 2004 7:57:46 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Interactive indirect illumination osmanb: Ok, now I see what you mean. You mean the brick columun, right?. Yeah, that is indeed a problem with the method. The easy way to deal with it is to use a portal system and assign each cell its own irradiance grid. This way we can prevent lig... 
Posted March 13, 2008 8:00:49 AM
Interactive indirect illumination Quote:Method seems me too slow/precise as a constant ambient replacement for indoor scenes ... May be,it's wrong way?It's definately not the holy grail of real-time GI. The method has it's limitations. That said, I think it has its uses. In my impl... 
Posted March 11, 2008 3:36:22 AM
Interactive indirect illumination Thanks, everyone! swiftcoder: I measured on a P4 3.2Ghz, 1Gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD3870. When the scene is static and only moving the camera I get >60 fps. With moving lights and objects it drops to 20-30 fps. But there is still room fo... 
Posted March 9, 2008 6:47:44 AM
Global illumination vs Real-time Quote:why do you actually render cubemaps? if your bottleneck is having 6 renders for each cubemap, why don't you try dual paraboloid maps?I've just not had the time to try it. It's on my todo-list:) Quote:also, have you tried your method ... 
Posted February 25, 2008 4:28:38 AM
Global illumination vs Real-time It depends. When the scene remains static and I move the camera I get 30 - 100 fps. Here I'm bottlenecked by the SSAO. It's slow for example when I'm very close to a wall since the sampling pattern gets larger in screen space and thashing the tex... 
Posted February 20, 2008 1:53:48 AM
Global illumination vs Real-time I use a variant of the method described in Real-Time Global Illumination on GPU. It's similiar to Speks method, but I project the cube maps to SH coefficients that are stored in a volume texture used in the lighting pass. Same idea as in the irr... 
Posted February 16, 2008 6:31:03 AM
Culling problem & GPU utilisation. Advanced Light and Shadow Culling Methods by Eric Lengyel will give you some ideas how to deal with this. 
Posted January 29, 2008 11:15:18 AM
Realtime ambient lighting (again :) ) Quote:If you are using only using a lambertian transfer function, no precomputation should be needed at all, everything can be done in a vertex program I precompute and store the coefficients for the lambertian transfer function in cube maps. I... 
Posted January 18, 2008 2:31:04 AM
Realtime ambient lighting (again :) ) Quote:I have a SH demo, but it still needs 10 minutes to initialize for a very simple scene... Most likely a PRT demo. PRT often get mixed up with SH. SH is just a set of orthonormal fucntions that can be used to approximate spherical functions. ... 
Posted January 17, 2008 8:48:50 AM
Realtime ambient lighting (again :) ) I'm working on a similiar technique, described in this paper. In short: 1) Create a uniform grid of sampling points. 2) Capture incomming radiance at each point using "light probes" (cube maps or something else like dual-paraboloid maps).... 
Posted January 17, 2008 4:14:59 AM
View All Replies Made By This User