Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Vanderry...  GDNet+
Full Name Dave 
Nickname Vanderry 
State/Province, Country Orebro Lan   Sweden
GD Gathering City Orebro, Orebro Lan, Sweden
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.daveousart.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1057  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/23/2009 11:14:39 AM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/vanderry/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
[C++] Suitable container for tree nodes Hi folks ! I realize that I've asked about containers a lot lately, but I can't help digging deep into it. I have a system where I index items by arrays of arbitrary ranges, mainly 5 short integers. An index of { 1, 3, 5, -1, -1 } would then repre... 
Posted November 21, 2010 10:13:38 AM
[C++] Templates Hey people ! I was wondering, if I construct a class holding a custom item through template< typename T > and split the class up into a header and source file, do I need to put the template before each of the member function definitions in t... 
Posted November 20, 2010 6:11:39 PM
[C++, Win32] How to make buttons stay down Hey guys ! I'm working on an application where I want certain buttons to stay down after I've pushed them, a sort of toggle effect which persists even when I go on to focus other windows in the application. I create the buttons using Cre... 
Posted November 19, 2010 7:44:28 AM
Safe euler angles Hey guys ! I'm working on a world editor for a game in 3D, and as such it will handle lots of objects with world transformation data. I'm aiming to let the user control these attributes the same way commercial 3D modelling applications like 3... 
Posted November 18, 2010 1:00:25 PM
Pathfinding in 3D environment Hey people ! I'm working on an accurate but not necessarily fast pathfinding algorithm for 3D environments, and thought I should ask you experienced lot if you think it could be improved somehow before I get deeper into work with it. Clari... 
Posted November 14, 2010 7:03:43 PM
[C++] Pair as hash_map key Hey guys ! I have this problem where I want to sort the edges in a 3D mesh according to their vertex pair or bordering face indices, if that makes any sense. The point is that I iterate through the mesh one face at a time and establish their... 
Posted November 8, 2010 3:38:12 PM
[DX9] Get FVF from loaded model Hey guys ! I was wondering, if I have a D3DXMESH loaded from a .x file, is there any straight-forward way of figuring the FVF format? I know the D3DXMESH interface holds a GetFVF() method which returns a DWORD, but can I really figure out what thi... 
Posted November 7, 2010 4:27:25 PM
[C++] Char array into FILE object Hello people ! I'm currently working on a texture loader for OpenGL and I like the way DirectX allows you to load them both through a direct filepath and through already loaded memory. So, what I was wondering is if there is any way to conver... 
Posted October 6, 2010 5:41:29 PM
[C++] Pointer container Hey guys ! I'm really fond of the stl hash_map class that I was introduced to a while ago. Now I'm wondering if there is any way to store a series of pointers in a similar fashion but only use their pointer value when indexing. Is there any c... 
Posted September 23, 2010 5:18:43 PM
Navigation mesh + obstacles Hello GameDevs ! I've been trying to wrap my head around pathfinding lately and I'm fond of the idea of using a navigation mesh rather than waypoints. I have implemented a means of doing this, however it doesn't take into account physical objects... 
Posted September 18, 2010 6:00:20 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
[C++] Suitable container for tree nodes Quote:Original post by voguemaster That's why Tony Albrecht's Pitfalls presentation is so interesting :). I really advise anyone that deals with performance critical code to take a look at it. I absolutely will :) 
Posted November 24, 2010 9:44:46 AM
[C++] Suitable container for tree nodes Thank you Rob. I'm sure that I've been exaggerating my needs all along, I was just thinking I should consult you experienced lot, to learn something new in the process if nothing else. These are all good points to keep in mind, I'll go with a simple... 
Posted November 23, 2010 9:53:58 AM
[C++] Suitable container for tree nodes Quote:Original post by voguemaster 1. Storing pointers within complex std containers can be wasteful in terms of memory. For example, std::list at its most basic form allocates space for two pointers (prev/next), and possibly another pointer. So 12... 
Posted November 23, 2010 7:20:24 AM
[C++] Suitable container for tree nodes Thank you voguemaster, I greatly appreciate all these insights. I'm not sure yet how great my data quantities will be but likely within the range of 1000. I will mainly use this structure to manage active 3D models in my game engine, but also for a r... 
Posted November 22, 2010 5:14:28 PM
[C++] Suitable container for tree nodes Yeah, I meant safe in terms of performance regularity. But that answers that question as well, so although I feel powerless to form completely solid hash functions for my purposes, I guess I will stick with the hash map after all. I can't thank yo... 
Posted November 21, 2010 7:01:49 PM
[C++] Suitable container for tree nodes Thanks, both of you guys, for the excellent explainations. If I've got things right now, the (safe) way to go for me would be to use an ordinary map of tuples and provide it with a < function. Since the risk of collisions in a hash map would rise... 
Posted November 21, 2010 6:13:49 PM
[C++] Suitable container for tree nodes Ah, that clears up a lot of my questions. There are just two last things I would like to ask: 1. So a map essentially provides the same functionality as a hash_map, except it doesn't use hash map sorting and thereby has longer search time? 2. W... 
Posted November 21, 2010 3:37:02 PM
[C++] Suitable container for tree nodes Oh, one last thing... What would you suggest is a good hashing algorithm for a map indexed by an N-tuple? I was messing around with a hash_map indexed by a pair< DWORD, DWORD > before and I learned that the size_t operator() has to compose... 
Posted November 21, 2010 1:00:53 PM
[C++] Suitable container for tree nodes Excellent, I will try that out. Thanks for the help ! 
Posted November 21, 2010 11:41:15 AM
[C++] Suitable container for tree nodes I guess I might have complicated things a bit. Is there any suitable, possibly N-sized tuple class, similar to std::Pair? 
Posted November 21, 2010 10:35:30 AM
View All Replies Made By This User