Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know blairhartley...  
Full Name Tim Hartley
Nickname blairhartley 
State/Province, Country Buckinghamshire   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City Chesham, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.emoot.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1058  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 9/26/2005 6:35:24 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Hacking into Kinect with the Art Machine This is our first attempt at joining in the fun hacking Microsoft's Kinect super-gizmo. We based this on our existing Art Machine MultiTouch table software, itself written in DirectX & HLSL. We made much use of the very clever NUI drivers (fr... 
Posted December 16, 2010 12:32:56 PM
[DX9, C++] Pixel shader texture sources and targets I have no doubt this is a stupid question, but... Is there any reason why I can't have a pixel shader that renders to a particular texture whilst using the same texture as one of its sources? Is this possible? If so, is there anything I nee... 
Posted March 17, 2010 8:33:02 AM
[DX9, C++] Smooth scaling 2D sprites I'm in the process of reducing my engine's reliance on ID3DXSprite by implementing my own 2D-quad-based class. At each stage I'm comparing the equivalent result I get using the ID3DXSprite method with the new one, and it's here I'm seeing... 
Posted March 2, 2010 8:47:22 AM
[DX9, C++] Memory Leaks during DXUTCreateDevice I've been tracking down memory leaks in my DX9, C++ app. I get a whole bunch of them from allocations made during the call to DXUTCreateDevice - but no other leaks either side of this call. Most of them are 64 bytes - with a few other smallish &#... 
Posted February 1, 2010 9:11:38 AM
[DX9, C++] Getting to grips with SetTextureStageState I'm wading my way through the SetTextureStageState function in the hope of correctly applying a blending formula I've worked out. This is the first time I've played with SetTextureStageState and I'm finding it a complex - but clearly powerful and us... 
Posted January 12, 2010 7:07:23 AM
[DX9] Is there really no way to test for vsync? Is there really no way to test for vsync in DX9? I've Googled it for a while and the consensus - if I'm reading it right - is that there is no way to do it. If that's so, how does the Present() function do it? Thanks for any thoughts, Tim 
Posted December 10, 2009 9:33:53 AM
VMR9 custom allocator: frustrating barrier to perfect video I posted a thread a while back about issues I'm having with a VMR9 custom allocator in my DirectX9 engine. I've made some progress in tracking the issue down and wondered if anyone out there can help get me through what just might be the final hurdl... 
Posted December 8, 2009 7:09:07 AM
VMR9 Custom Allocator: video performance with some clips Using DX9 and VMR9 I've built my own Custom Allocator so my engine can bring videos into my scenes. It all works fine in principal, but there are some performance issues I can't get my head around. DV-based AVI files play best. Silky smooth, no... 
Posted October 22, 2009 5:11:34 AM
Creating an alpha mask... D3DXSPRITE I'm using D3DXSPRITE to render images in my app, and I'm looking to create an alpha mask from an imported image and apply it to a texture. What I want to do is to take a texture map (T1) and apply a mask derived from the alpha channel from a loade... 
Posted September 16, 2009 3:15:58 PM
Multi-touch Art Machine A follow up to a previous IOTD (link), where I showed our museum / science centre virtual painting machine... We've been experimenting with multi-touch technologies and have ported the Art Machine to use them. There's a video here (apologies th... 
Posted July 3, 2009 12:48:45 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Realtime bezier curve with constant speed Sorry if I misunderstood... though surely given the formula is based on a real time reference, the speed will be constant?  
Posted November 17, 2010 12:52:26 PM
Realtime bezier curve with constant speed If I understand correctly, you need a formula to determine a point along the Bezier curve given a time t. Assuming a quadratic Bezier define by start point x1, y1, control point x2, y2 and target point x3, y3... First of all, normalise your val... 
Posted November 17, 2010 12:04:37 PM
Texture blending on transparent background Quote:Original post by jbravo Thanks for the explanation. I tried using my render target as texture variable in a pixel shader, but couldn't get it to work. I then heard from several people it's not possible at all to use the current render target a... 
Posted May 16, 2010 5:37:45 AM
Texture blending on transparent background Quote:Original post by jbravo Sounds like it's just what I need :) To calculate this using a shader it will need to know the current color and alpha in the target. I don't think it's possible to know from within a shader what's currently in the b... 
Posted May 10, 2010 9:24:40 AM
Texture blending on transparent background If I understand what you're trying to do, I believe I had a similar problem. I was rendering a number of non-z-ordered alpha-blended objects into a texture that was initialised with a transparent background. I then wanted to render this resulting... 
Posted April 15, 2010 9:02:22 AM
ID3DXFont::DrawText: make lines go up instead of down Sadly, I don't think it is possible to do directly with DrawText. Other than manually using DrawText for each line, reversing the order of the lines in the string before calling DrawText would be your option. 
Posted April 14, 2010 7:23:57 AM
[DX9, C++] Pixel shader texture sources and targets That would explain what I'm seeing! Thanks for the quick response, T 
Posted March 17, 2010 8:40:07 AM
[DX9, C++] Smooth scaling 2D sprites Quote:Original post by MJP If you look here it shows you all of the render, texture, and sampler states set when you call ID3DXSprite::Begin. What you're interested are the MINFILTER, MAGFILTER, and MIPFILTER sampler states. Thankyou - that's als... 
Posted March 2, 2010 1:35:51 PM
[DX9, C++] Smooth scaling 2D sprites Good thought... and very useful. Looks like it's down to differences in calls to SetSamplerState. Many thanks, Tim 
Posted March 2, 2010 10:51:51 AM
Play video using DX 9.0 in fullscreen OK, fair point... Next thing... I notice your allocator is not creating a surface in the InitializeDevice routine. I believe you should be creating a private surface in here using a call like... lpAllocInfo->dwFlags = VMR9AllocFlag_Offscree... 
Posted February 26, 2010 12:23:50 PM
View All Replies Made By This User