Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Zeraan...  
Full Name Brent 
Nickname Zeraan 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Game Programmer 
Job Description Lone Programmer 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1128  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 4/14/2002 9:59:34 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
If the Koreans go to war, what will happen to USA economy? I'm not well versed in global economics/politics, and the articles I read deal with the tension between N and S Korea, not the fallout of having it escalate to a war. So I was thinking about that If they go to war, and USA get involved, it might... 
Posted December 6, 2010 2:02:00 PM
Algorithm for placing stars on a grid to form a galaxy I'm not sure which topic this should go into, but I think Math is best for this situation. I'm working on a Master of Orion clone (beyondbeyaan.blogspot.com), and things were going well until I decided to add feature to allow users to specify... 
Posted October 31, 2010 12:53:27 PM
Launching an application remotely using email I'm researching into how to launch application from an email. I have a build machine that's configured to build the software, however, I'd like to minimize human interaction. If I can just email it somehow and tell it to start building, that'd be... 
Posted June 30, 2010 10:56:14 AM
Chat tutorial help please (C#) I've been going through those two tutorials: http://www.geekpedia.com/tutorial239_Csharp-Chat-Part-1---Building-the-Chat-Client.html http://www.geekpedia.com/tutorial240_Csharp-Chat-Part-2---Building-the-Chat-Server.html I've got the client... 
Posted May 25, 2010 4:24:57 PM
2D zooming to cursor [SOLVED] I'm stumped by this. I've tried googling this up, to no avail. I'm working on a Master of Orion-esque game, and I got starlanes working. (See here.) Now my problem is zooming. I can zoom out and the game will zoom out centered on... 
Posted December 28, 2009 9:32:52 PM
Starlanes - How to create them? Okay, I've completed my asteroids clone (as seen here) and I want to work on a Master of Orion-esque game. I'm stuck on a problem, starlanes. For those who don't know, a starlane is a line connecting two stars that allow travel. Basica... 
Posted December 20, 2009 11:11:20 PM
Asteroids of Beyaan - With download! I've completed my Asteroids clone. The download link is here. About the game: Instead of just one boring type of asteroid that splits after you shoot them, this game features eight different types of asteroids. Yes, you heard me right, 8! ... 
Posted December 20, 2009 10:59:05 PM
Asteroids of Beyaan I'm working on a souped up asteroids clone. I'm sure you all played the normal one, where you shoot rocks, they explode into smaller rocks, and so forth. But it gets boring after a while. So I'm presenting my game, Asteroids of Beyaan!... 
Posted October 30, 2009 1:04:55 PM
Asteroids get stuck inside each other (2D circle collision) Alright, I'm remaking my asteroids clone, and I want good physics in this game. I've studied 2D circle collisions and reactions, and this should work in theory but in reality it's another story. Whenever two asteroids (circles) hit each other, they... 
Posted October 18, 2009 12:59:00 AM
Infinite looping while implementing A* algorithm *SOLVED* We're working on a tile-based tactical RPG, and we're stumped with this problem. I developed this function that returns a list of directions to follow on the map. However, on really hilly maps, it enters an infinite loop. Narrowin... 
Posted June 12, 2009 12:35:27 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Indie developer needs your help :) Link to your game/site? 
Posted January 6, 2011 6:53:06 PM
Recommend Wii/PS3 Games to play with my wife? Boom Blox for wii is fun as well. My wife and I enjoyed playing it together. 
Posted December 11, 2010 3:34:36 PM
If the Koreans go to war, what will happen to USA economy? Quote:Original post by way2lazy2care Quote:Original post by Mithrandir My prediction: China and US will arrive at a hidden deal, where they arrange Korean unification under Seoul leadership, but US troops will be mandated to stay south of the DMZ a... 
Posted December 6, 2010 5:19:40 PM
If the Koreans go to war, what will happen to USA economy? I seriously doubt that USA and China will fight each other directly. I was thinking that if China do back up N Korea, it'll be similar to the Korean War, a proxy war. Reading an article on some of the wikileaks, it sounds like China wouldn't... 
Posted December 6, 2010 3:43:02 PM
I think the original poster might have a point Quote:Original post by _fastcall Quote:Original post by owl Quote:Original post by Hodgman what? Wow...I'm actually surprised at all of the no answers here. I leave my oven on all day sometimes if I'm roasting something...for brisket, usually... 
Posted December 1, 2010 2:28:26 AM
Quitting programming as a job! Hm, I'm the opposite, it seems. For me, I enjoy fixing bugs. To me, it's like a puzzle "Why isn't this working the way it should?" and I investigate the cause. The end result is similar, I feel momentarily rewarded with a "I'm a genius! I figured... 
Posted December 1, 2010 2:24:01 AM
Algorithm for placing stars on a grid to form a galaxy There are no star size preset in the grid cell. Each grid cell is a placeholder for a real star. Each star can range from 2x2 to 4x4 grid cells in size. What's happening is that I pick one location (x,y) from list of legit locations, then c... 
Posted November 1, 2010 5:04:10 PM
Algorithm for placing stars on a grid to form a galaxy Quote:Original post by StasB Not sure what you mean, but glad I could help. =P lol re-reading my post, I see why it's not clear :P What I'm going to do is have a list of available stars that contains stars in all grid cells. Then I pick o... 
Posted November 1, 2010 3:24:39 PM
Algorithm for placing stars on a grid to form a galaxy Quote:Original post by StasB Completely fill the grid with random stars. Randomly pick N of them. This algorithm depends only on the number of cells. The simplest and cheapest solution. Why didn't I think of this! It's so simple! When... 
Posted November 1, 2010 1:19:24 PM
Algorithm for placing stars on a grid to form a galaxy The stars don't occupy only one grid cell. They can be 2x2 to 4x4 grid cells. There is also a rule that no stars can be adjacent to each other (there's a minimum distance between each star) So therefore, I won't be able to know the max... 
Posted November 1, 2010 10:32:37 AM
View All Replies Made By This User