Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know jamesw...  
Full Name  
Nickname jamesw 
State/Province, Country NC   United States
GD Gathering City Raleigh, NC, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.talden.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Engine Programmer 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1200  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/4/2005 11:25:04 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Calculating coverage for software rasterization I'm trying to find implementation details on how to calculate pixel coverage (the area of the pixel covered by the triangle) when rasterizing triangles in software. I did some googling but wasn't able to find anything helpful. Does anyone know... 
Posted January 22, 2009 4:10:12 PM
User clip planes for 3d scissoring Has anyone tried using 2 user clip planes on top of normal scissor rect to make a 3d scissor during light/shadow passes? OpenGL has a depth bounds test extension which basically does this. Depth bounds test really saves fillrate during those p... 
Posted June 27, 2007 9:27:36 PM
aQuaterra water demo I posted an IOTD a couple of months ago, and I've made a ton of progress on my project since then. Here are some of the improvements: Water -Caustics -Edge fadeout, both in distortion and reflectivity Vegetation -LOD -Quadtree culling... 
Posted July 1, 2006 12:40:55 AM
Variance Shadow Mapping depth offset Hi all, My current VSM implementation uses D3DFMT_G16R16F for the 16 floating point filtering on geforce 6 & 7. Then the shadow map is blurred with a 5x5 gaussian filter before the variance calculation during projection. The shadows look gr... 
Posted August 11, 2006 5:10:58 PM
HLSL SM3.0 problem I'm having trouble with the texture coordinate interpolators in SM3.0. All I'm trying to do is override the texture coordinate in the vertex shader and access this result in the pixel shader, but the override is not working. This is the simplified... 
Posted June 18, 2006 5:16:34 PM
Trouble with REF device Hi, I'm trying to get the REF device to work so I can run my sample on machines that don't support ps3.0, which I am using, and so I can debug pixel shaders. I thought that all I had to do was specify D3DDEVTYPE_REF when I create the device.... 
Posted June 5, 2006 2:08:23 AM
Accelerating distance calculations with a QuadTree I have my outside world partitioned by a quadtree. I need to find the distance to each object to determine what LOD to use. Is there a way to use the quadtree to optimize this process? 
Posted May 11, 2006 12:40:11 AM
Feathering with Alpha Blending I've been looking into ways to render vegetation and make it look good. On grass I tried alpha blending which looks great, but the sorting was a headache. I tried alpha testing, but the edges are so aliased it looks like crap from up close. So... 
Posted May 8, 2006 12:13:15 AM
Texture Atlas Glitch I just started getting vegetation into my program and bam, I ran into this glitch. You can see a black line over all the trees in this shot. The first thing that came to my mind was it looks like a texture atlas glitch caused by mipmapping access... 
Posted May 8, 2006 4:25:16 AM
Packing a heightmap into a texture My heightmap is 16 bit, and I want to be able to use it as a texture (for various applications that need a per-pixel height) without having to use a special format (such as D3DFMT_L16) that some hardware may not support. My question is, how would I... 
Posted April 2, 2006 2:18:48 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
[SOLVED] SH, Extracting directional light and color Just check out the march of the froblins demo paper by AMD, has HLSL for question #4. 
Posted May 16, 2010 8:58:02 PM
Realtime Ambient Occlusion Demo Obviously limit exceeded 
Posted February 4, 2009 11:13:03 PM
Calculating coverage for software rasterization >I assume you use this for some sort of AA? It's for a lightmapper, when using low resolution lightmaps I end up with multiple triangles per texel. I want to know how to weight each triangle's attributes toward the final result for that texel.... 
Posted January 23, 2009 6:54:09 PM
The Daily GameDev.Net What no mention of fallout 3 release today??!?!? 
Posted October 28, 2008 9:18:56 PM
GAMEFEST 2008 PRESENTATIONS Yeah it's really too bad that the powerpoint + audio format was chosen. Ideally they would convert the powerpoint slides to a PDF which summarizes the information that the talk was about, like Crytek often does. The power point by itself is mostly... 
Posted September 17, 2008 12:11:19 AM
CPU/GPU synchronization, vertex buffer pools DirectX has a generic 'Event' query, which I think is the same as a GPU fence. 
Posted September 2, 2008 12:15:49 AM
SSAO woes Quote:I do not know where the multiplication with (0.75, 1.0) comes from, it does not really make sense to me. I think that is taking the aspect ratio right out of the projection matrix. 
Posted March 30, 2008 3:05:26 PM
ATI GPU PerfStudio and JAVA Quote:Known Issues ------------ You cannot use the supplied app launcher with a batch file or a launcher application that starts another process (the actual 3D application). release notes 
Posted March 14, 2008 11:52:02 PM
Dynamic loops and ps3.0 (CG) There are tex functions where you supply the gradient. In HLSL it would be like this: Quote: float DeltaX = ddx(sampUV).x; float DeltaY = ddy(sampUV).y; for ( int step = 0; step < stepNum; ++step ) { ... tex3Dgrad(noiseTex, sampUV, DeltaX... 
Posted February 21, 2008 12:32:26 AM
Dynamic loops and ps3.0 (CG) Here's two things to try: Put an upper limit on the loop count. As in 'step < stepNum && step < 4'. Use a tex3D function where you supply the gradients (not sure if there is one for Cg) and do the ddx and ddy outside of the loo... 
Posted February 20, 2008 12:38:39 AM
View All Replies Made By This User