Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know venzon...  
Full Name  
Nickname venzon 
State/Province, Country WA   United States
GD Gathering City Seattle, WA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL venzon.org 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1104  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 9/12/2006 1:28:39 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
RenderHog: open source cross platform shader prototyping tool (RenderMonkey clone) What? I've released the first public version of RenderHog (version 10.10.09.2). What's RenderHog? RenderHog is a cross-platform GLSL shader development environment. RenderHog takes care of interacting with OpenGL 3 and allows the user to load as... 
Posted October 10, 2010 4:49:20 PM
Postprocessing with large kernels: what to do about the edge of screen I'm applying a particularly large Gaussian blur kernel as a post-process effect. I'm encountering artifacts at the edges of the image, where part of the kernel reaches off of the screen. I tried doing wrap, clamp to edge, and mirror for the texture a... 
Posted August 11, 2010 4:45:56 PM
Baking Static Ambient Occlusion Maps on the GPU Despite the trend toward screen-space ambient occlusion, static ambient occlusion maps are handy for improving the realism of non-deformable objects like cars or spaceships with no impact to framerate. However, baking them in Blender as I usually do... 
Posted October 28, 2009 10:38:08 PM
Allocate my main game object on the stack, on the heap, or in the data segment (C++) All of my game subsystems are contained inside a GAME object that's the highest level object in my game's class hierarchy. The GAME class exposes a public "Start" function, which kicks off the main game loop and doesn't return until the user quits t... 
Posted May 16, 2009 11:52:09 AM
Tetrigami, an origami-themed tetromino game Tetrigami is an origami-themed tetromino game. The game came to be largely due to this gamedev article about how to build up to making cool independent games. To summarize, the article recommends starting with simple, small projects. Tetrigami is tha... 
Posted April 8, 2009 1:38:27 PM
Which functional language, and why? My background is in C++. I'd like to learn a functional language, and there are several options... as part of my decision making process I thought I'd poll others on which language they picked, and their reasoning. So: which functional languag... 
Posted December 11, 2008 10:24:16 AM
Sensor display for a space ship user interface I've been brainstorming ideas for a sci-fi spaceship game for a while. My goal is for the gameplay to be similar to Privateer or Freelancer, but I want the interface to be mouse driven (ala EVE Online) with an emphasis on simplicity. O... 
Posted October 3, 2008 2:45:27 PM
Contracting out to a freelance artist This is a hypothetical, but I could see myself being in this position in a year or two. Let's say I'm an independent developer working as the sole developer on an independent commercial game. I'm able to do all of the coding, the music, and so... 
Posted August 4, 2008 3:22:31 PM
Multithreading my game engine -- slower than expected performance My game engine, vastly simplified, does two things: simulate the game world, then render the game world. Note that I'm including getting input and some other subsystems as part of the "simulate" step. Based on this forum discussion, I decid... 
Posted August 1, 2008 3:18:14 PM
Looking for jack-of-all-trades artist for tactical FPS "openwarrior" (link to demo) Team name: There is no team name. I (Joe Venzon) am the only person involved in the project so far. My webpage is http://www.venzon.org. Project name: The working title for the project is "openwarrior," although I'd like to find a better... 
Posted January 16, 2008 7:29:24 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
RenderHog: open source cross platform shader prototyping tool (RenderMonkey clone) I realized I wasn't redistributing all of the .dll files needed to make this work out-of-the-box for someone without GTKmm installed. Version 10.10.16 fixes this so please give it a shot. The latest version will always be available at this link: htt... 
Posted October 20, 2010 10:26:05 PM
NFAA - A Post-Process Anti-Aliasing Filter (Results, Implementation Details). I implemented this in OpenGL/GLSL and at first I was disappointed with the results... but after playing with it a bit I got pretty decent results. The most important thing I found was clamping Normal.xy before doing the texture lookups: Normal.xy =... 
Posted October 2, 2010 12:32:34 AM
Confusion about the world matrix in GL. Quote:Original post by shiqiu1105 But I dont have any matrix library. And it bothers me to write one. Is there any matrix library availale??? GLM is a decent matrix library, though sparse on documentation. 
Posted September 29, 2010 1:04:31 PM
Precomputed atmospheric scattering... Here's a simple approach: http://petrocket.blogspot.com/2010/01/simple-flexibile-atmosphere-shaders.html 
Posted August 25, 2010 7:53:53 PM
Calculating tangents gives wrong results Here is the exact method that 3dsmax uses: http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/chris/how_the_3ds_max_scanline_renderer_computes_tangent_and_binormal_vectors_for_normal_mapping 
Posted August 24, 2010 1:28:28 PM
Smooth object on obj file format Oh, I understand now. Your graphics API will interpolate vertex normals for you if you're using OpenGL or DirectX, but if you're writing your own software rendering, the method you used should work, as far as I know. 
Posted August 19, 2010 2:34:25 PM
Wheel blur shader? In Portal, Valve used a camera motion blur that samples in an elliptical path: http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2008/GDC2008_PostProcessingInTheOrangeBox.pdf Maybe you could do something similar, sampling around an elliptical path that c... 
Posted August 17, 2010 12:14:05 PM
Smooth object on obj file format If your .obj exporter can export per-vertex normals, you have enough information to be able to render the object with the smooth areas smooth and the flat areas flat. Your 3d package's exporter should take care of getting the vertex normals correct f... 
Posted August 16, 2010 6:08:24 PM
Survey for shader writers How often do you write shaders, and how much experience do you have with them? At the moment I'd say an average of one shader a week. I've been writing shaders in my spare time for maybe 3 years. What shader language do you use? I use G... 
Posted August 16, 2010 6:03:56 PM
GPU particles collision detection with arbitrary mesh It won't always provide correct results, but you could render depth from an ortho camera on each axis, then use that to bound your particles. 
Posted August 16, 2010 5:40:58 PM
View All Replies Made By This User