Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know ols...  
Full Name  
Nickname ols 
State/Province, Country Greater London   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City London, Greater London, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1019  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 11/1/2004 5:51:33 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
D3DX9_24.dll I am sure I am not the first person to have this problem, but wondered if there was a yet a known solution for it. I am writing my program using the Feb 2005 release of the DirectX SDK, but other people cant run it becuase 'd3dx9_24.dll' is missing f... 
Posted April 7, 2005 11:15:49 AM
Locking the framerate OK, so people have been downloading my game (for which I am VERY grateful) and have had a lot of comments about locking the framerate. Was about to start work on this when realised - I have NO IDEA how to do it!! Any help? Cheers 
Posted April 28, 2005 4:32:55 PM
2D collision detection OK, i am really struggling with finding - and implementing! - the best method for collision detection in my 2D game. From the research that I have thus-far done, it would appear that the best idea would be to create some sort of collision map. I h... 
Posted March 2, 2005 11:07:08 AM
Colour of a pixel within a texture/sprite Is it possible to tell teh colour of a pixel at a specific position within a texture or sprite? Specifically I am looking for those pixels that are black for collision detection purposes. There must be a way, but my mind has gone blank..... 
Posted February 24, 2005 6:36:11 AM
Tilemap Scrolling problem- please help! OK, I am really looking for ideas to try rather than an absolute answer as I think that will be a bit complicated. Here is my problem. I have created a tilemap (its for a top-down driving game). The car drives on it fine and the map scrolls f... 
Posted February 7, 2005 7:47:29 AM
Sprites & Screen movement I have a sprite loaded on screen and I want the screen to move with the sprite so that, when a map is placed behind the sprite, it can traverse the map, but the screen will always be focused on the sprite. Any device matrix transforms I... 
Posted January 18, 2005 8:54:30 AM
Sprite rotation in DirectX 9 Can anyone give me a brief explanation of how to rotate a sprite using LPD3DXSPRITE in DirectX9. I am getting very confused by it all and my sprite keeps disappearing rather than rotating!! Thanks :> 
Posted January 14, 2005 7:49:08 AM
D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx invalid method call I really hope someone can help, as a bit lost! Trying to load a texture from a file, but my loading method says that there is an invalid method call (in my D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx call). I have looked everywhere I can think of for an answer, b... 
Posted January 5, 2005 10:37:22 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
2D Rendering OK, you're not giving the most amount of info here, but can give you a few pointers... Nothing will draw unless it is enclosed between a BeginScene and EndScene pairing and then Present is used, so start off by doing that if you have not already. ... 
Posted April 12, 2005 5:47:28 AM
VS 2005 Express & DirectX Maybe i have misread your question, but I dont think there is a newer version of either the SDK or VS 2005. Either way, they are definitely compatible as I am programming with them at the mo... 
Posted April 12, 2005 5:41:19 AM
D3DX9_24.dll Looks like I have opened a can of worms here!!! From what I can tell then there is no immediate answer apart from, slightly dubiously, including the dll with my download, or linking to somewhere where you can download it - i have already found a c... 
Posted April 7, 2005 6:17:33 PM
2D collision detection OK, i get how that can work with static items e.g. walls, but do you have it implemented for two moving items e.g. two NPCs so that they avoid each other? Because that is what I am working on... 
Posted March 3, 2005 4:54:42 AM
2D collision detection Quote:Original post by Tarviathun The method that I'm currently working on, is a projection method. I use a matrix of pointers to objects in a list. The matrix represents the collision mask and the list of objects is just that. the objects upda... 
Posted March 2, 2005 1:48:40 PM
2D collision detection well at the moment it isnt implemented. Have basic bounding box detection, but want per-pixel instead. All i currently have is a mask/map of initial positions, stored in an array. Trying to work out how to move these sprites without locking the te... 
Posted March 2, 2005 12:22:28 PM
Colour of a pixel within a texture/sprite i should have mentioned that i am working in 2d. presumably that means that my idea will be sufficient then? 
Posted February 27, 2005 7:29:05 PM
Colour of a pixel within a texture/sprite hmmmm, wasnt planning on doing that; clearly hadnt thought this out very well! so is the best thing to create the mask beforehand and then rotate this the same way that the onscreen sprite is being rotated in order to make the comparisons.... 
Posted February 27, 2005 6:39:13 PM
Colour of a pixel within a texture/sprite Cheers, thanks for the help. DrunkenHyena, somewhat confused by one part of your code: //When we lock our texture, we will get a pointer to our 32-bit ARGB data. //Note that because of the byte ordering on Intel we would specify a 32... 
Posted February 25, 2005 8:33:43 AM
Colour of a pixel within a texture/sprite do u know any mroe specific details on how to retrieve the colours? I know how to lock the texture... 
Posted February 24, 2005 9:38:24 AM
View All Replies Made By This User