Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Stephen R...  
Full Name Stephen Roantree
Nickname Stephen R 
State/Province, Country Dublin   Ireland
GD Gathering City Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1411  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 10/7/2003 3:16:50 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
[SOLVED] gluLookAt oddities I'm trying to implement gluLookAt myself, out of a silly desire not to use GLU. I took the formula in the documentation and implemented it using my own matrix and vector classes and it works... kinda. It behaves in a completely sane way, and I'd be p... 
Posted January 15, 2008 4:58:49 PM
Nordic Interactions K, this question has been bugging me, and the internet isn't supplying me with any answers. Its a simple question - what language do people in the nordic countries (especially those in the IT field) use when interacting with each other? Like at a dem... 
Posted November 5, 2007 5:19:23 PM
Can't create hardware video mode in SDL Hey, I'm having a bit of an issue with my current project. The resolution is 800x600 and I'm not directly accessing pixel data so hardware mode should provide a performance boost. I create the screen with this line: Screen = SDL_SetVideoMode(8... 
Posted June 23, 2006 6:07:05 AM
X Files from Blender missing UV coords. I'm having a bit of trouble getting Blender to export the texture coords to a .x file. I have a very simple model. A UV sphere, with smoothed normals. I added a texture from a .bmp file to the material for the sphere, adjusted its alignment and rende... 
Posted May 26, 2006 9:02:18 AM
Hardradio I've spent all day with Hardradio playing and its played nothing but good hard rock and metal. By far the best internet radio station I know of. Just thought I'd share the love. And so this isn't just a one post thread, maybe people will post... 
Posted February 13, 2006 8:40:14 PM
Shred my story This was english homework. I handed it up today but I want to get some serious criticisms of the story. I know it's weak in several areas, but I want to see what other, objective readers, find. Download it here Its been a long time since I've d... 
Posted October 20, 2005 12:57:10 PM
GDCE Age Restriction I'm thinking of going to the GDCE this year but I noticed that the site says that no one under the age of 18 will be allowed on the show floor. I'll be about a month shy of 18 when the conference rolls round. So, to anyone who's been to the... 
Posted June 29, 2005 10:56:40 AM
Navigating in space Hi, I have quite a question on my hands and very little experience with either AI or pathfinding outside of A*. I have an artibtrary 2d universe where space ships fly around objects like moons and planets under the influence of gravity. What... 
Posted June 16, 2005 3:12:58 PM
Project idea Hey all, I'm planning on entering a compitition next January. Its a general technology comp for all students under the age of 18 in the country. I'm beginning work on my entry and wanted to get any ideas / criticisms / feedback before I... 
Posted April 19, 2005 4:16:21 PM
Feedback & Specs for Jailbreak I'm after putting Jailbreak up onto the GDS here. I haven't been able to test the game on many machines and need to get an idea of the specs it requires. It shouldn't be anywhere near those I listed but thats the lowest spec machine I teste... 
Posted April 11, 2005 11:00:48 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Advice on starting with a new adventure game + game engine This is better than than that debates tend to not be too useful. So, what are your requirements? Do you want to run on xbox? on Linux? What do you know already? 
Posted September 1, 2009 10:39:29 AM
Important advice for beginners Quote:Original post by Telastyn Quote:Original post by LionMX Sometimes re-inventing the wheel is a good thing, dont use other people's libraries if you dont understand what it's doing - a lot of learning happens when you solve the exercise yoursel... 
Posted August 10, 2009 9:23:32 AM
Weekend Reading: Tales from Journal Land Thanks! It's good to be back. [smile] 
Posted August 8, 2009 1:49:07 PM
Help with a couple of questions in SDL With proper code design, it should be possible to ensure that resolution has little effect on the rendering code. In a 3d game, you don't really need worry about the resolution. In a 2d game you have the option of simply displaying more of th... 
Posted August 3, 2009 9:19:19 AM
looking for good sound library/framework Without being able to recommend anything for the beat detection, I whole heartedly recommend FMOD. And I know FMOD exposes more than enough information that beat detection may be implemented (example). 
Posted August 3, 2009 9:01:48 AM
Assembling the intellectual elite Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ So what I'm interested in primarily at the moment is a way to accumulate a body of like-minded individuals that can begin shaping the culture and society for such a significant restructuring. If nothing else, it'd be... 
Posted November 21, 2008 6:04:10 AM
Refill my Netflix queue Quote:Original post by boolean Michael Clayton This was a surprisingly entertaining film considering the pace. I was very impressed by it.  
Posted July 9, 2008 9:17:37 AM
Refill my Netflix queue http://youtube.com/watch?v=XnhLtB3n25c This bad boy is the greatest film ever made. I promise you. Riki-Oh! 
Posted July 9, 2008 7:46:22 AM
how to read a GameEngine My first recommendation would definitely be to just use it for a while. Get used to its interfaces and how it thinks. Then you can start digging around inside it and get a better feel for how things work because you will have a better understanding o... 
Posted July 9, 2008 6:08:37 AM
Casting in C++ If any cast were to be used there, the safest would be dynamic_cast, which requires RTTI (Run Time Type Information) to be enabled at compile time. This guarantees a valid cast if the object is indeed of the type being cast to. reinterpret_cast will... 
Posted July 9, 2008 5:46:24 AM
View All Replies Made By This User