Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Novelty...  
Full Name  
Nickname Novelty 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1015  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 6/26/2007 5:13:48 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Precalculated Occlusion I've been working on a 3D engine for the new and improved Flash 9 which is fast enough to handle simple textured scenes. Despite the new speed however, plotting pixels still comes at a high cost because there is still no direct array access. ... 
Posted June 26, 2007 11:04:50 AM
Tzu Me and my team desperately need to get to GDC '08 to find a publisher and we can't afford to pay our own way. Dream Build Play is a competition by Microsoft in building XNA games, they're running a warm up competition for the main event in AI prog... 
Posted January 30, 2008 3:21:03 PM
Patent issues, especially fluids Hello, I'm interested in using the Fluid Dynamics for Games paper in a small commercial application, but despite a lot of Googling I'm still unclear on exactly what is patented, for example is it only in combination with the FFT that the pa... 
Posted November 8, 2007 11:21:07 AM
Stam NSE solver optimizations I've read a few times (I can't remember where) that the code in Stam's fluids paper can be greatly optimized, I assume this concerns the relaxation. Does anybody have any insight into this? Mine is a GPU implementation if there's any shader trickery... 
Posted October 23, 2007 6:47:28 AM
HLSL Image Sampling Hi, I'm taking a bilinear sample from an image, but I'm without VPOS because I'm on shader 2.0. Converting to integer values gives inaccuracies and creates banding on the image, is there a more efficient and accurate way to do this? 
Posted July 10, 2007 7:03:19 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Real-time planet rendering I don't have formal mathematics education so it would take me a while to decipher the paper, but it looks so good I'm thinking about it. 
Posted September 16, 2008 4:56:56 AM
LynxEngine - Animation Tree editor and some updates Good stuff! Can you offer any tips on getting all the noise out of your SSAO like that? 
Posted May 23, 2008 2:11:40 PM
Advice for using a patented cg-method I ran up against this too, I mailed Stam and didn't even get a straight answer, he just said they weren't interested in allowing anybody to use their patented algorithms. This conclusion I came to is that the patent text uses an FFT to resolve th... 
Posted March 13, 2008 10:24:11 AM
Tzu Quote:Original post by ajm113 Looks pretty cool. I would love to know how you made the grass effect! Mine didn't look as good as these but I didn't get around to finding out why. http://www.xbdev.net/directx3dx/specialX/Fur/index.php (Tomohid... 
Posted January 31, 2008 6:21:57 AM
SSAO My SSAO results so far. [Edited by - Novelty on January 15, 2008 10:22:07 AM] 
Posted January 15, 2008 7:22:52 AM
Patent issues, especially fluids Quote:Original post by frob Quote:Original post by Novelty FFT is another patented algorithm. Nope. The original FFT algorithms were from Gauss in the very early 1800s. Those certainly aren't covered by patents. Ah, I was reading the te... 
Posted November 9, 2007 3:38:04 PM
Patent issues, especially fluids Quote:Original post by cbenoi1 You can read the patent filing here. > So far I've been unable to contact Stam about it It's unlikely the author is going to help you go around a patent his employer paid for and benefits from. Just think abo... 
Posted November 9, 2007 12:00:54 PM
getting a simple answer is impossible anymore A vector is a group of numbers (scalars), a vector with two scalars can indicate a position on a grid, one scalar indicating how far along the grid, and the other how far up, in other words the X and Y values. Imagine two vectors with di... 
Posted October 23, 2007 11:36:40 AM
Precalculated Occlusion Quote:Original post by tweduk I was planning to do this fully geometrically by finding everything visible from within the cell volume, rather than finding everything visible from any of the corners of the cell. That's what it does, the corners ar... 
Posted June 26, 2007 2:44:00 PM
View All Replies Made By This User