Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know PixelPhil...  
Full Name Philippe Desgranges
Nickname PixelPhil 
State/Province, Country Ile-de-France   France
GD Gathering City Paris, Ile-de-France, France
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1079  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 9/20/2005 10:45:53 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Doom 3 map explorer Hi, I have been working on this little toy project for two months now and I am quit happy with the current results. This is my attempt to render Doom3 maps in real time using DirectX. This is an extremely educative project as it is a real ple... 
Posted September 25, 2005 5:44:48 PM
Wolfenstein 3D in a pixel shader Hi, Yet another clone of Wolfenstein 3D you might say. Yes, but this one entirely runs in the GPU. In fact, it is implemented using Rendermonkey, ATI's shader IDE. The point of that was to try out Rendermonkey's ability to deal with GLSL and... 
Posted September 21, 2005 11:01:36 AM
LWO loading and UVs Hi, I am currently implementing the lwo mesh loading feature in my engine. But unfortunately I can't get the UV to be loaded correctly and the result looks wrong like this: (this is supposed to be a dead imp like the one we can see in... 
Posted September 23, 2005 10:58:27 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Doom 3 map explorer You've got a point, using texture lookups instead of maths helps codepath compatibility. Though, the lookup tables used in doom 3 are nothing that could be described by maths in a generic way (grid projection, clouds, dirty glass...). This contribute... 
Posted November 4, 2005 4:56:49 AM
Bitmap storage Hi, The beam of a CRT monitor scans the screen surface from the left to ther right and from the top to the bottom. So historically the most natural memory layout for storing images is from the top left to the bottom right pixel. A fullscreen imag... 
Posted October 24, 2005 10:51:03 AM
Wolfenstein 3D in a pixel shader Well, Rendermonkey is a shader IDE, it can be used to author DirectX and OpenGL shaders using high level langages (HLSL or GLSL). The priciple of high level langages is that they are compiled to native hardware instructions at run time by the dir... 
Posted October 8, 2005 8:51:50 AM
Rainbow gradient real rainbows cycle colors this way : ultraviolet (not visible), blue, indigo, purple, green, yellow, orange, red, infrared (not visible) it really doesn't cycle like the hue wheel. Phil. 
Posted October 8, 2005 8:38:38 AM
Bicubic Image Interpolation Hi, That might not be the answer you expect but I remember that there is a great article about bicubic interpolation on the GPU in the book GPU Gems II. You might find your answer at your local barnes and nobels. Phil 
Posted October 7, 2005 6:06:12 PM
Loading a bmp file Hi, I'm a bit tired to really go through your code. But i remember that Nehe lesson 7 loads a bmp as a texture. The Windows implementation uses the API32 but i believe the linux one must be portable. I hope that code will help you to understa... 
Posted October 4, 2005 7:38:10 PM
Both unreal engine 3 and doom 3 use shadow volume, not shadow map. why? Quote: The shadow map support is good to get in, but I am still unconvinced that a fully general engine can be produced with acceptable quality using shadow maps for point lights. I spent a while working with shadow buffers last year, and I could... 
Posted October 4, 2005 7:34:32 AM
Doom 3 map explorer Hi, Indeed, when you want to simulate a real-life pointlight you use X^2 + Y^2 and Z^2. But in this game most light attenatuion maps are artist-painted. This gives a result that is totally physically incorrect but that is more interesting visually... 
Posted October 2, 2005 5:19:22 AM
Noise for 3D textures Perlin noise is band limited, which means that it only features the same frequency everywhere. To create turbulent effects you have to make a weighted sum of several octaves of Perlin noise with different frequencies. This is called a fractal su... 
Posted September 29, 2005 2:20:02 PM
Doom 3 map explorer Hi toji, I'm not using lightmaps but doom3 lights are bound by two attenuation textures that somehow traps light in their bounding box. These maps can have any fallof shape, rounded rectangle, circle, fan or grids of some sort. These maps are proj... 
Posted September 29, 2005 9:42:21 AM
View All Replies Made By This User