Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Cypher19...  
Full Name David Crooks
Nickname Cypher19 
State/Province, Country Ontario   Canada
GD Gathering City Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1434  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 12/31/2003 8:34:23 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Skewbe Mapping This is an example of a new algorithm I developed called skewbe mapping, which I intended for use with omnidirectional shadow maps, and can drastically improve the image quality of the shadows, as the images demonstrate. However, because the algorith... 
Posted September 21, 2005 11:58:18 AM
Macro to get variable type? (C++) I'm trying to write a macro for some stuff in C++, and one thing I want to do is get the type of a parameter input into the macro. For example, if I wanted to make a macro that returns the parameter's name as a string, I could do the followi... 
Posted October 31, 2008 11:58:45 AM
Larrabee @ SIGGRAPH Intel has made their paper ready ahead of time. Pretty interesting read, I found. It's a shame that the final chip hasn't been produced yet, so we don't know 'how many' Larrabee units there'll be in the consumer available models. Hopefully it'll be e... 
Posted August 8, 2008 11:59:59 AM
Question about STM-based programming I was reading one of Promit's journal entries earlier tonight, and in it he mentions something called STM. I read up a bit about it on wikipedia and while I think that I have a pretty good handle on it, but there is one thing I'm... 
Posted November 12, 2007 3:37:48 AM
Viacom suing Youtube: Hrm. Viacom putting entire TDS archive on net: OMF YES!! My God, it's full of Stewart... Seriously, all 8 years (JS era) are on there. I can finally go back and watch all of the Even Stephven segments!  
Posted October 19, 2007 12:51:45 PM
Adding various types of objects to a level in an elegant manner I've been doing some work with Unreal, UnrealScript, and UnrealEd lately, and one thing that I think is fairly cool about Unreal is how you can create a new type of object using UnrealScript relatively easily, and just by virtue of letting Unrea... 
Posted July 21, 2007 6:15:41 PM
Buy these PS3s so we can buy a bunch of Wii's! http://www.woot.com/Blog/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryId=1903 Saw this on kotaku and I thought it was just funny as hell. Advertising the Wii while selling PS3's? It just doesn't get more ironic than that, eh? 
Posted December 22, 2006 10:44:34 AM
I'm just so happy! (repost, ignore) Weird Al - White & Nerdy HE IS TRULY A GOD AMONG MEN Edit: Aw, really? Oh well *Sigh* [Edited by - Cypher19 on September 20, 2006 8:49:11 PM] 
Posted September 20, 2006 8:30:42 PM
Jon Stewart post-9/11 speech Old as hell, obviously, but I tihnk this is a great speech, and is a nice retrospective on what the feelings were in that time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkuqoTseUPo  
Posted August 6, 2006 7:04:53 PM
College really isn't necessary I guess it'd be nice to marry her. She'd probably be so complacent and dependent that you'd be able to tell her to "get in the kitchen and make me some pie" whenever you want, as often as you want! (note: I do not know if this is real or not... 
Posted August 4, 2006 6:07:20 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Ambient Occlusion Volumes For offline/non-interactive purposes, FLIPPIN' AWESOME! That level of image quality in just a second or so of processing is really damn great! For real-time...eeeeeesh, one-to-several dozen ms/frame for decent results on a moderately com... 
Posted December 6, 2009 9:24:32 AM
Forward rendering limitations? Quote:why would be impossible to have 2000 lights like you have in deferred rendering? It's not. But try doing that in a forward renderer and see what kind of performance you'll get. 
Posted November 28, 2009 4:19:27 PM
Skewbe Mapping Forget about this. This is more interesting, robust, and has the same goal. Skewbe mapping was the idle thoughts of a university kid after a couple weeks of hack-filled work. 
Posted November 24, 2009 8:25:46 PM
Free Software: The Consequences of being a good neighbor (A rant) It's spelled "n e i g h b o u r", by the way. 
Posted November 9, 2009 12:02:36 AM
Parabolic solar panel in space! I'm definitely for this. My town in Simcity 2000 had a microwave power plant working great for years. ...until that incident that caused half of the city to burn up in flames. 
Posted November 8, 2009 6:36:51 PM
Deferred shadow maps Quote:So if i had skinning being calculated, the code would need to be carried out multiple times for each light. Yes. Quote:He mentions using the depth information from stage one to reconstruct world positions for calculating the shadows ma... 
Posted November 8, 2009 6:22:58 PM
Borderlands: No ping rate displayed on servers... Why? Because the game was designed primarily for consoles, and they didn't invest the resources into significantly rebuilding the UI for PCs. 
Posted November 7, 2009 10:14:24 AM
Help Valve beat Nintendo! Turn the Valve. Unleash the Freeman. Does anyone else find it interesting that all four of the finalists are (realistically speaking) silent protagonists? 
Posted October 5, 2009 10:11:57 PM
SUPREME HACKING Quote:Original post by bzroom You can wait about 10 years though and wait untill they release the source, like iD software does. Even then, parts of the code will still be commercially confidential, and would have to be removed, e.g. hooks into t... 
Posted September 11, 2009 9:21:18 PM
Reduce shadow swimming for rotating camera Quote:Its not really that I am rotating the shadowmaps, but when I rotate the camera the "look at" point for shadow rendering will also move. Isn't that normal? Oh yeah, that'll happen. As long as you round the look-at point to the nearest pixel,... 
Posted June 20, 2009 8:34:47 AM
View All Replies Made By This User