Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know QuinnJohns...  
Full Name  
Nickname QuinnJohns 
State/Province, Country KY   United States
GD Gathering City Louisville, KY, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 960  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 11/29/2005 3:12:05 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
text effects I'm curious how easy it would be to do an effect such as: http://www.nulldesign.de/exp/expviewer.php?file=text_explode.swf&width=600&height=300 with blocks of text in D3D9. Any direction would be greatly appreciated. -Quinn 
Posted October 13, 2009 2:31:16 AM
Edges on a window? If I wanted to approach creating a movable game menu, inside my game, would I merely create a textured quad with whatever "custom" images as the content? As an example, think of a rounded square, with transparent edges. I've written a similar post... 
Posted August 21, 2009 3:53:49 PM
VOIP / Ventrilo-esqe Voice Program I've heard from a friend that in his class a team used C#, and some API to develop what amounts to a Ventrilo / Teamspeak application. Anyone familiar with a decent API? I prefer it to work with C#, but doesn't entirely matter. Thanks in advance. 
Posted July 17, 2009 1:28:55 PM
Question about Pause Window I've noticed that in some games there is a pause window, that you can produce, by some shape or form in the game, usually a dedicated button. The same goes for general menus, while in-game. My question is, what exactly occurs? I've figured that in... 
Posted May 2, 2009 9:24:38 PM
Creating a Login Server (C++) So, where should I start? I'm using C++, establishing network connections via winsock. I can do TCP/UDP sockets fine, but I've never used SQL, and want to see if anyone can show me a snippet on how to establish a connection to a server, and show... 
Posted October 2, 2008 3:02:40 PM
delete this thread please [delete this thread please] [Edited by - QuinnJohns on August 17, 2008 5:47:22 PM] 
Posted August 17, 2008 4:08:37 AM
Train + Train Tracks.. any Ideas? Curious. What would the most realistic solution at having a train model, follow a train track model - without having to set up some hard-coded path, just like follow the track, moving forward at a timed interval? Any suggestions? Thanks! -... 
Posted August 8, 2008 8:50:18 PM
Cliffs & tunnels - best approach? How do people usually do cliffs and tunnels, in DirectX? I've done heightmapping for general terrain, but even if you do that approach, you can't really do a detailed cliff, with maybe even a tunnel delving into it? What's the best approach for th... 
Posted August 4, 2008 2:08:47 PM
Resource manager question I normally do things the inefficient way and break things up, but I'm interested in doing one of them resource factory approaches on a resource manager, to handle 2d textures, 3d models, and audio - now my questions is, does anyone have... 
Posted May 26, 2008 11:49:33 AM
DrawText meets word wrapping... Hello and thanks for any help I can get. Basically, I'm wanting to accomplish word wrapping for a UI system I'm working on. I know how to use Direct3D's fonts, and how to create windows and such; but I'm kind of baffled on applying word... 
Posted May 17, 2008 5:40:35 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
pong paddle ai If you get access to DirectXTutorial, they have a version of pong available that goes into detail how they handled each facet of their AI. Would be a great reference point, but you definately want to give it a try yourself to learn, before you try an... 
Posted August 21, 2009 4:06:35 PM
VOIP / Ventrilo-esqe Voice Program Anyone know of any good example source? 
Posted July 26, 2009 6:42:52 PM
Question about Pause Window Yet again, I make myself look stupid. I also just realized the second option would probably be better, because I could make some sort of input method, somewhat relating to an onMouseClick type event, to handle "buttons" made of textured quads as... 
Posted May 3, 2009 9:52:23 PM
Question about Pause Window Well, I realized that you would use some game states. My dilemma is that I would have no idea how to create the "window" that spawns over the game-window, with the menu options on it. I can create windows normally, however, if you just Create... 
Posted May 3, 2009 9:47:15 PM
Are you a Programmer or an Artist? 3, if you count pixel art. Otherwise, I'll go with 1. 
Posted May 3, 2009 9:40:59 PM
Favourite game music / recommended listening Personally, I enjoy the orchestral versions of the legend of zelda. 
Posted January 26, 2009 10:42:32 AM
Dose anyone good C++ game tut for begginers www.directxtutorial.com is decent for directx related content, this website also has plenty of articles and such as well. 
Posted December 4, 2008 2:28:59 AM
Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package If you don't have Visual Studio 2008 .NET installed, you will need to click here. The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C+... 
Posted October 15, 2008 2:45:28 AM
calculus/velocity accelaration position Speaking of Physics (Introductory Mechanics, Heat, and Sound) and Calculus, I'm doing both in college right now, and it opened up a whole new ball game for me, in terms of physics in games, I'm loving the two classes. You learn a lot. 
Posted October 12, 2008 1:29:06 PM
Creating a Login Server (C++) Quote:Original post by Antheus When client connects, it send username and password hash. You use that to query the database (SELECT passwordhash FROM accounts WHERE username = ...). Using client's IP and port and perhaps some other information, gene... 
Posted October 3, 2008 12:35:40 AM
View All Replies Made By This User