Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Sc4Freak...  
Full Name Adrian Tsai
Nickname Sc4Freak 
State/Province, Country Victoria   Australia
GD Gathering City Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1358  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 6/27/2006 8:04:34 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
3D camera movement I'm writing a 3D game that'll use a touchscreen for input. The camera in the game is located above and looks down at the battlefield (which is merely a flat plane). The user should be able to drag his finger across the screen to scroll across the map... 
Posted January 1, 2011 11:35:44 PM
"Flattening" a tree of relative Z values Z ordering in my game is represented as a tree: each node represents something that needs to be drawn. A node has any number of children, and a child's Z value is relative to its parent. A child's Z determines the order in which it'll be drawn relati... 
Posted December 15, 2010 12:39:49 AM
Alpha compositing Is there any "smart" way to do alpha compositing that I don't know about? I'm writing a GUI for my game, and there are UI elements with other elements on top of them. For example, a button with some text on top of it. The button background... 
Posted November 29, 2010 1:22:15 AM
Clouds The simplest volumetric clouds in the world. I wrote this small demo primarily to test out the 3D engine I've been working on. This Clouds demo was written primarily to stress the mesh setup/drawing functions of the engine, as well as to test... 
Posted March 16, 2008 7:57:16 PM
[C++] Alignment and arrays There are a lot of CPU architectures out there that can't perform misaligned memory reads - older ARM and Motorola chips for example. On these platforms, performing a misaligned memory read will often raise a CPU exception and kill your program. ... 
Posted February 27, 2010 6:02:49 AM
What should go into source control? I'd been taught traditionally that everything needed to build my project should go into source control. That includes things like external libraries, resources, tools, assets, anything that's required to build from nothing to finished product. This s... 
Posted January 7, 2010 3:21:50 AM
Returning a large object from a function If you want to return a large (or expensive to copy) object from a function, you can either return it directly: std::vector<std::string> Generate(); Or return it through an out parameter: void Generate(std::vector<std::string>&am... 
Posted November 6, 2009 7:35:25 PM
Copying gameplay - to what extent is this legal? So let's say I want to clone a game - that is, a clean-room reimplementation of the gameplay from an existing game. What that means is that I won't be using the intellectual property of the existing game - art, sound effects, code, music and all o... 
Posted September 23, 2009 8:29:36 PM
Seems like imageshack was hacked It looks like somebody hit a bunch of imageshack servers and replaced the images with this: I uploaded that image, somewhat ironically, to imageshack. Considering the number of images hosted at imageshack, I can imagine that browsing many foru... 
Posted July 10, 2009 10:25:13 PM
Using size_t instead of T::size_type Warning: pedantry ahoy! [grin] Let's say I have a container: typedef T std::vector<int>; And I want to iterate over that container using a loop counter. What type should I use for the counter variable? for(X i = 0; i < v.size(); ++i... 
Posted July 7, 2009 9:36:08 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
3D camera movement The camera's rotation is arbitrary but fixed. In other words, it's looking down at an angle and I just need a translation for the camera. I had it looking straight down at first, and it was easy to find the translation - find the difference between t... 
Posted January 2, 2011 2:47:49 AM
Given unexpected() why is there a terminate() Well, in the case of undefined behaviour the compiler is free to do what it wants, so that reasoning would apply to every other feature of C++ as well. 
Posted December 16, 2010 7:53:20 AM
"Flattening" a tree of relative Z values I just had a "why didn't I think of that" moment. :P It works great, thanks! 
Posted December 16, 2010 2:56:26 AM
Alpha compositing Quote:Original post by Hodgman Quote:It seems as if the only way to do it properly is to draw to a rendertarget first, but that seems unnecessarily wasteful (and complicated, performance-wise).Using the blend mode above, you just need one... 
Posted December 1, 2010 2:26:52 AM
Alpha compositing Quote:Original post by Hodgman RTT isn't that crazy... :) If we assume a black background instead of a white background, it's possible. You could render your whole GUI onto this black background, and then composite the final result over your... 
Posted November 29, 2010 9:49:05 PM
Windows Phone 7 - who's gonna get one? As I understand it, it's the same as it worked on old Windows Mobile. Applications are always running until you close them, regardless of what's "on top" and it's the application's responsibility not to eat up resources - much like how applicati... 
Posted October 31, 2010 9:08:42 PM
[C++] Occupy array at once If you provide fewer elements than the size of the array, the remaining elements are default-constructed. Since the value of a default-constructed unsigned integer is 0, the contents of your array ends up as 3 0 0. The most straightforward way wou... 
Posted July 5, 2010 8:26:39 AM
Windows Mobile GUI toolkits? You should check out the Sense Interface SDK on XDA. It replicates the look and feel of TouchFLO/Sense very closely. 
Posted June 13, 2010 1:00:17 AM
C++ realloc troubles... In the case of giant one-off memory buffers, boost::shared_array is a good alternative if you find std::vector to be unsuitable for whatever reason. 
Posted April 12, 2010 7:23:07 AM
[C++] Alignment and arrays Ah. I was under the impression that an aligned memory read meant a pointer had to be a multiple of four or something like that. Your explanation makes a lot of sense, thanks. 
Posted February 27, 2010 4:44:41 PM
View All Replies Made By This User