Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know 51mon...  
Full Name  
Nickname 51mon 
State/Province, Country Nottinghamshire   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1064  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 9/7/2006 12:35:58 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Want to check my hardware? Hi My computer at work feels very slow on pretty much every task. Video and audio are lagging and when I try to compile through visual studio it's usually freeze for almost a minute. When I tried to speak to the IT-support deparment they told m... 
Posted October 13, 2010 6:26:58 AM
Progressive distribution continouty check? Hi I'm currently working on a thing where I need to determine what kind of clothing a person is wearing from a video feed. The lighting conditions are unknown. The person is masked and I also got a skeletal representation to my disposal. I got... 
Posted June 6, 2010 11:58:02 AM
Collision detection with depth buffer as only information Hi I have a depth buffer as the only information of the geometrical constitution of a scene. I would like to know the best way to perform collision detection between an arbitrary object and the scene? Can I use the depth buffer directly or shou... 
Posted July 6, 2010 11:44:22 AM
Compression with YCoCg or other model? Hi I got 3 textures with similiar hue but different luminance. I want to compress the textures from 3->2. Therefore I was thinking of using the YCoCg model and store the independent Y's in one texture and the average CoCg in another. I wa... 
Posted February 25, 2010 12:16:23 PM
Deferred Rendered Radiosity from First Person Perspective I have developed an global illumination algorithm as part of a master thesis. Download it here. You need to have DirectX installed and a GPU with shader version 3 capabillities. It’s runs in real time and the light source is attached to the camera.... 
Posted March 6, 2007 11:11:05 PM
Deferred rendered sun flare, mirror system, dynamic sky, etc Hi I have been working on a demo for a while (2.5 month). It's main purpose is to help me find a new job. The goals throughout the development has been to blend a few graphical components / special effects, while creating a "wholeness" in the p... 
Posted October 23, 2009 10:35:56 AM
Contractor If you get offers like x month contract position at £xxx per day What does that mean in reality? If we are talking well-established studios. If you have to work 6 days in a week due to milestones, will you get paid for 6 days or just 5? I guess... 
Posted December 4, 2009 5:09:58 PM
ddx & ddy always return 0? Hi I was thinking of using ddx & ddy to obtain the u tex coord derivate in screen space, but they always return 0 in my code: VS_OUTPUT VS( float4 pos : POSITION, float3 norm : NORMAL, float2 uv : TEXCOORD0) { VS_OUTPUT Output; Output.po... 
Posted November 13, 2009 4:17:34 AM
Best way to compress fraps videos? Hi I have captured some videos of an application with Fraps. The quality of the videos is high but the size is rather large. So I was thinking of compressing the files. The quality of the output video need to be rather high, since the input got seve... 
Posted November 7, 2009 6:28:47 AM
Error: The Direct3D device has a non-zero reference... Hi I recently published a demo. I tested it on 3 different machines before and never any error messages of this kind showed up. A couple of people informed me that they got following message: Error: The Direct3D device has a non-zero referen... 
Posted November 6, 2009 3:56:30 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Vertex cache optimization still worthwile? Interesting question. I have noticed that post transform caching can give huge benefits in certain situations. Isn't the ptc generally implemented as a FIFO queue? And probably a certain piece of the IB would be processed on the same processor g... 
Posted September 4, 2010 1:51:47 PM
Onion Skinning I have worked very little with java. But can't you just disable clearing of the render target each frame and use alpha blending when drawing each new frame. 
Posted September 4, 2010 1:39:30 PM
Collision detection with depth buffer as only information Let say that the scene is static except for the objects bouncing around; then the collision mesh didn’t have to be computed in real-time. Is there such algorithms? If I would look into using depth buffer directly, I do have the beginning of an i... 
Posted July 7, 2010 5:05:20 AM
Progressive distribution continouty check? Quote:Original post by Jason Z Sounds like a very interesting application - hopefully you can show some results once you get it working! This type of a problem can be approached with a classification technique, such as a Support Vector Machi... 
Posted July 6, 2010 11:32:21 AM
Imagine - 48k Intro released at Breakpoint 2010 I liked it, more esthetically appealing than most commercial products (games) :) 
Posted April 8, 2010 6:43:02 PM
Compression with YCoCg or other model? Quote:Original post by Medium9 I guess any color model that separates luminance from color would be suitable, however YCC has the nice property of a comparably extremely cheap transformation from/to RGB, wheras HSV/HSL or even more complex formats o... 
Posted February 28, 2010 11:17:46 AM
Deferred rendered sun flare, mirror system, dynamic sky, etc Quote:Original post by mindbound A possibility to see the source, perhaps? Sure, after all, it's Christmas :) I send you a private message with the link 
Posted December 16, 2009 5:05:42 PM
Contractor Quote:Original post by Obscure Quote:Original post by 51mon Thanks, I will ask them. You wrote that contractors are more easily fired. If I sign a contract for x month am I guarantied to get paid for these or can I be fired any day? Why would you... 
Posted December 7, 2009 6:33:43 PM
Contractor Quote:Original post by frob If you have no other information to go on, assume a normal work week. You will need to get additional details before agreeing to the job. Contracts are open to negotiation. That kind of contract is general... 
Posted December 5, 2009 12:41:07 PM
What to expect in tech interviews (game dev companies)? Expect the unexpected. Some companies only requires a small chat (usually the ones who wish to expand fast). Other times you have to go trough tests that lasts for days. Many interviews start with a written test though (0.5 - 1.5 hours). 
Posted December 4, 2009 9:18:06 PM
View All Replies Made By This User