Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Charles Thomas...  
Full Name Charles Thomas
Nickname Charles Thomas 
State/Province, Country VA   United States
GD Gathering City Ashland, VA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID AlienCtt 
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1020  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 10/31/2004 11:59:57 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Terrain Editor This is a two month project I just completed. It is not as polished as I'd like and there are several things I wish I had done differently, however the results are to my liking. The editor allows you to generate your terrain through a fault forma... 
Posted August 9, 2006 11:52:09 PM
[MDX 2.0] SDK Light Sample I took the SDK Light Sample and converted it to mdx 2.0. I couldn't get the cylinder to light. So I took out the vertex buffer and just used a sphere for simplicity. I've been looking through posts and changing my code for hours now and still no... 
Posted July 31, 2006 10:25:31 AM
MDX - Low FPS with terrain Unless I'm mistaken, a Quadtree is the way to go. I've implemented one. I tried the route of using one index buffer, limited in size. I update the indices every frame based on camera frustum. This was way too slow. Attempt 2.... 
Posted July 19, 2006 8:51:10 PM
MDX - Lighting Texture Splatted Terrain [RESOLVED] I can't seem to figure out why my terrain doesn't light. I've tried changing the vertex color itself & tried hardware lighting. I believe it has to do with the TextureStages, but I've got no idea. protected void SetupSplatting() { this.D3D... 
Posted July 15, 2006 1:59:07 PM
Texture Blending I trying to blend a mask texture and a regular texture together. The problem is that the detail of the regular texture doesn't show. It becomes one color. // Setup this.D3DDevice.RenderState.CullMode = Cull.None; this.D3DDevice.RenderS... 
Posted June 25, 2006 7:38:46 PM
undeclared identifier error (SOLVED) For simplicity, lets say I have 3 files: main.cpp, event.h, eventcontroller.h event.h contains a class cEvent, which uses eventcontroller's singleton eventcontroller.h contains a class cEventController, which uses a pointer of cEvent main.h... 
Posted June 8, 2005 12:18:07 PM
asychronous and FD_ACCEPT ( SOLVED ) The windows handler continues to send an FD_ACCEPT message, even after I've accepted the connection. The client connects succefully, but the server continues to accept the same client over and over again. It is quite annoying. How can I stop this... 
Posted April 19, 2005 7:29:31 PM
trouble casting a ray Hi, I'm having trouble casting a ray from the camera. I'm trying cast a ray from the position of the mouse. I have calculated the camera axises and I've normalized the mouse coordinates so that both the x and y position go from -1 to 1. I'm trying... 
Posted March 16, 2005 1:11:43 AM
how show terrain be represented in an engine? I'm currently working on a 3D Engine and I've hit a wall as to how I should represent the terrain in the world. The clear things up, I would like to know the most efficient way to represent it for speed purposes. Right now I am debating o... 
Posted November 10, 2004 12:15:15 AM
trouble with textures in multiple windows Hi, i'm having trouble with displaying my textures in multiple windows. I set the context to be rendered on before i want to draw on each window. The problem comes in when i'm trying to draw textures. The first window i'm drawing on... 
Posted November 25, 2004 2:30:12 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
linking error I believe you are missing DisplayManager:: infront of LoadSurface 
Posted September 30, 2006 12:35:20 AM
[C++] Significance of **? I mainly program in C# now, so others who freaquent C and C++ can correct me if I overstep my bounds. I believe the ** means a pointer to a multidimensional array. It could also be written as *ppData[]. I've also seen ** used to reference an arr... 
Posted September 30, 2006 12:07:48 AM
Terrain Editor Thanks again for the comments! I certainly will take a look at each of those techniques now that the heat of the dead-line is long gone. 
Posted August 11, 2006 4:03:46 PM
Terrain Editor Thanks for the comments! I finally got everything up and running last night and the presentations have set me back. I'm posting some screenshots of the editor itself now. No, I didn't get LOD added. I had some difficulty with geometry managem... 
Posted August 10, 2006 4:39:56 PM
[MDX 2.0] SDK Light Sample I've noticed others have had the same problem as I, and they too haven't received help. Maybe it will remain a mystery. I just find it hard to believe that lighting in mdx 2.0 is just down right broken. 
Posted July 31, 2006 7:50:10 PM
MDX - Low FPS with terrain Awesome, I'll take a look at it right away! Thanks for the help. 
Posted July 20, 2006 9:35:40 AM
c# direct3d read from vertexbuffer Lets say you're using CustomVertex.PositionOnly. Then you should be able to do it with: CustomVertex.PositionOnly[] array = vertexbuffer.Lock(0, LockFlags.ReadOnly) as CustomVertex.PositionOnly[]; vertexbuffer.UnLock(); // when done... 
Posted July 15, 2006 1:36:26 PM
Texture Blending Awesome! I've been trying to solve this problem for a few days now. Thank you for the help! 
Posted June 25, 2006 9:59:22 PM
Problem with dxguid.lib fatal error LNK1103 Are you linking these libs: d3dxof.lib dxguid.lib d3dx9d.lib d3d9.lib winmm.lib 
Posted August 18, 2005 8:37:27 AM
What are your views on the Torque Engine? I played around with it for a bit close to a year ago. I unfortunately bought a book (can't remember the name), that wasted my time. I didn't buy the license at the time because I was still confused and I didn't understand what was going on wi... 
Posted August 12, 2005 2:35:36 PM
View All Replies Made By This User