Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Daivuk...  GDNet+
Full Name David St-Louis
Nickname Daivuk 
State/Province, Country Ontario   Canada
GD Gathering City Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Game Designer/Developer 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1105  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 3/26/2002 1:50:45 PM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net//journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Mac OS X - Texture keep increasing the more I advance in the Level Hi, This is an odd bug that we have on the Mac version of our game. Using the OpenGL Driver Monitor available on Mac, we see the number of textures and VRam used increasing the more we advance in the Level. If we go back, the number stop... 
Posted April 13, 2010 2:01:07 PM
Physic over networking Hi guys, So I have that little test game I am making. You are pushing boxes (Using Box2D for the physic). This is a co-op multiplayer game. I already know a lot about interpolation, prediction, etc. As I already published action multiplayer gam... 
Posted March 24, 2010 2:37:38 PM
RTS Algo to detect serounding units In an RTS game, how to efficiently gather units in the range of another one? Three things I would like to use that for: - Detecting an enemy unit is in attack range - Switching resources if the one gathering is empty or being gathered... 
Posted March 2, 2010 1:58:45 PM
Homework questions, why are they taboo? Hi, I've read a couple posts from students asking homework questions. I am wondering why the general trend here is to not answer those questions. The point of an homework is to do research. I consider that asking a question on a game devel... 
Posted February 8, 2010 11:30:13 AM
android spritebatch issue Hi, I tried google around, but there is not much information about this problem on Android. The problem comes from Java. I am allocating my vertex buffer this way: ByteBuffer vbb = ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(CAPACITY * 8 * 4); vbb.orde... 
Posted January 20, 2010 11:33:09 AM
xfire killing my game's performance Hi all, we had a couple of users reporting that their game is lagging a lot. But other games like TF2/Crisis run smoothly. We found that strange, because our game is lighter than those. We finally found out that it's xfire causing this. When xf... 
Posted November 11, 2009 4:24:09 PM
FMOD Stream Voice Data Hi guys, long time since I posted here :) I am using steam to get the voice data from the microphone, and to send it to my players. Then I use steam to uncompressed it on the other side, and I end up with a buffer 16 bits, 11025 sample rate. ... 
Posted July 6, 2009 5:30:13 PM
Discussing my slow pace MMO network design (I posted that in someone Else's thread, and figured out I should create a new thread to discuss it) I am in the process of making a small MMO, in the style of ogame but a bit more real time and in DX. Nothing to big, and actions are slow. In... 
Posted May 14, 2009 1:25:23 PM
Content pipeline in games like Tomb Raider and cie Hi Guys, I'm a 3D engine/tools programmer. I never posted in that section. It is maybe a technical question, but I think it is more a art section since it's about art content. In recent games like Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed or Halo3. Maps... 
Posted January 5, 2009 4:42:45 PM
Build faster on slower computers! Hi, we had a big surprise today. We work on very powerful PC. 2 CPU Xeon duo core (4 cores) at 3ghz and 4gig ram. Our builds always been slow, and we thought our project was just too big. Then, today, we compile on a crappy machine. A... 
Posted December 9, 2008 5:35:01 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Can we draft a post or thread before putting on the server proper? So basically, what you want is a draft system like GMail has. That would be too complex to integrate to gamedev I think. Sorry for the stupid notepad answer, I don't even do it that way. I personally use gmail. I save as a draft, with no destinati... 
Posted January 5, 2011 4:05:51 PM
Can we draft a post or thread before putting on the server proper? NotePad Save it as .html, so you can see the tags. Then just copy paste here. 
Posted January 5, 2011 1:45:05 PM
Auto LOD generation Batch objects using same material, and spend time on occlusion culling before getting yourself into this. Unless of course, you already have occlusion culling, and assuming it is fast enough. Quote: My task is assigned from the lead programm... 
Posted December 8, 2010 10:24:05 AM
How to make the player fire bullets No, your bullet Entity behaves like a bullet. The entityManager only creates then and manage them (update, render). The bullet knows what to do and how to do it. 
Posted December 2, 2010 11:14:07 PM
wxWidgets VC++ build download wxPack, it's all compiled for you and it comes with FormBuilder, that generate your code from a C# like form editor 
Posted December 2, 2010 1:45:13 PM
How to make the player fire bullets Quote:Original post by Concentrate @Daivuk Thanks for the reply. Would you mind explaining why this is more beneficial over say just doing this without entity manager? Also is this some type of paradigm? I've seen people use this xxxManager but I'm... 
Posted December 2, 2010 11:10:45 AM
How to make the player fire bullets Without entering into too deep details because I would have to write pages or code here, I would create an EntityManager that reside in your world class or level class. The EntityManager is responsible for handling entity stuff. Like updating all ent... 
Posted December 1, 2010 5:47:05 PM
How to make the player fire bullets Well what you can have, is a service that the player can know about. ProjectileService->SpawnBullet(position, velocity, this); And that service knows how to register into the renderer or physic. I would personally use an EntityManager. An... 
Posted December 1, 2010 2:57:58 PM
MineCraft - Real-time Path Traced Things don't have to be capped to 128 units height as Notch implemented. I am using an Octree for my stuff. You can dynamically add new patches up or down as you progress, and regen what's there. My guess with minecraft, is that Notch is literally al... 
Posted October 18, 2010 2:38:52 PM
MineCraft - Real-time Path Traced Very nice. I am also a fan of minecraft. I started an experiment in XNA for optimized mesh rendering also. I am also optimizing the mesh, but in patches of 16x16x16 voxel. Meaning that if you modify, you only have to recompute one patch.... 
Posted October 18, 2010 12:58:32 PM
View All Replies Made By This User