Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know dietepiet...  
Full Name  
Nickname dietepiet 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1038  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 9/12/2007 10:39:13 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
MMO, less boring with less content? When looking at the popular MMO's today, I cannot escape the feeling that the vast amount of different skills, weapons, monsters and quests added by designers is just a weak attempt to hide the fact that the game itself is just boring. I would expect... 
Posted September 17, 2010 2:35:44 PM
Particle effect viewer Hi all, This is a small study project of mine for the course Computer Graphics. The assignment was to write a simple particle system viewer capable of rendering fountains and fireworks, using c++ and OpenGL. In order to make the assignment more i... 
Posted October 22, 2008 4:09:12 PM
legaly modding Hi all, I was thinking about modding games and its legal issues. As far as I know, file formats do not fall under IP and most games do not patent their file formats. So, creating tools to view/modify these files seems legal to me. Although the act... 
Posted January 1, 2010 2:20:03 PM
D3DXSHProjectCubeMap Hi all, When using AMD codeanalyst, i noticed that during loading of my game level, the function D3DXSHProjectCubeMap was called a lot and taking very much CPU time. The thing is, I never call the function, or any other spectral spherical harmonic... 
Posted August 30, 2009 5:48:16 PM
[SOLVED] Converting string to float Hi all, I've written a simple parser which has to convert string to floats. These strings are not \0 terminated, but I know the length from my lexer. Up until now, i simply used double atof( const char * ), but I noticed a huge performance cost fr... 
Posted August 30, 2009 3:15:13 PM
Game Data loading/serializing Hi all, I've been working on my c++ game for quite a while and up until now, I let each class load its own data from disk. So each class that corresponds with some game asset on disk has a class::Load( inputStream ) method for loading. ... 
Posted June 1, 2009 10:57:18 AM
PhysX to Havok problem Hi all, I used PhysX for a while and now, since Havok is free and all, I gave it a try. But I found a few subtle differences that do not translate well. In PhysX, every object in my game consists of a single actor with multiple shapes, each sh... 
Posted May 24, 2009 6:12:24 AM
Inverse kinematics for 2-DOF socket joint: Hi all, I have a little math problem: I have a skeleton containing various types of joints, one of which is a special 2-DOF socket joint. The skeleton has an end effector (usually a gun) and I want to point it to a (moving) target. For rea... 
Posted May 2, 2009 7:18:11 AM
c macro stringification Hi, Quick question, whats wrong with: ... 91: #define TEST(a) #a 92: TEST(int b); ... I expect it to substituted by ... 92: int b; .. but my MSVC 2005 compiler complains about 1>.\Source\main.cpp... 
Posted April 15, 2009 5:24:22 AM
AMD code analyst in Visual Studio 2005 Hi all, I installed the AMD code analyst and it automatically integrated with my visual studio environment. Now, for each profiling sample I can obtain the corresponding asm instruction, but I cant automatically get the corresponding c++ code. F... 
Posted March 16, 2009 5:09:48 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
I have a game design dilemma and could use some advice Quote:Original post by Acharis Every 5 levels you get an ability to skip 1 level. You can go back later and solve the level to get your "skip level" back for further use. I like this solution. An alternative is to just give a fixed number of skip... 
Posted December 29, 2010 6:27:26 AM
modern rendering engines: some questions Back to front rendering is only necessary for translucent materials. For all solid materials, you sort on material and render all visible objects in batches. Writing all sorted vertices in one big array on the CPU and sendin... 
Posted December 3, 2010 9:58:51 AM
Viewing frustum I do not understand entirely what you mean. Could you be a little more specific? The frustum is usually defined using an origin, direction and up vector and two fov angles, the vectors must be orthogonal to each other, but there are no further restr... 
Posted September 25, 2010 9:53:19 AM
MMO, less boring with less content? Interesting analysis Edtharan, I definitely seek a way to increase interactivity with the world and other players. I however do not think that this has to results in more and complex game rules. Quote:Original post by Edtharan I think it is this... 
Posted September 18, 2010 7:52:59 AM
MMO, less boring with less content? Quote:Original post by TyrianFin And also more dynamic world in MMO would be nice. So that players actually could reshape the world. /Tyrian This could be such a mechanism that could give endless possibilities to the players. Imagine a world wher... 
Posted September 17, 2010 5:17:32 PM
MMO, less boring with less content? Thanks for your replays, maybe you are right and its just me. After all, MMO's are still vastly popular. However, I still think that MMO's don't need to be so complex to remain interesting. Quote:Original post by Tiblanc For a grind game, adding l... 
Posted September 17, 2010 3:19:28 PM
Best way of moving an online character Instead of using fixed update intervals, you can also use 'ghost reckoning' to reduce data traffic. That is, the server extrapolates the client position. As the client knows what extrapolation the server uses, it can compute its 'server position'. Th... 
Posted September 13, 2010 3:42:09 PM
CUDA and scenegraph That obviously depends on what you plan to do with your scenegraph. If you would want to traverse the scenegraph to compute some data per node, such as the final transformation for all scenegaph nodes, you could implement a breadth-first sce... 
Posted September 13, 2010 6:58:38 AM
legaly modding Hi all, thanks for your useful replays! Quote: Quote: As far as I know, file formats do not fall under IP and most games do not patent their file formats. Yes, they have some protection. I realize that even non-patented file fo... 
Posted January 2, 2010 4:27:38 AM
Designing Code? As the requirements of my project are not known in advance, I use a TODO list for my 'design'. It simply contains all the general features that are planed or currently broken, usually with some priority indicator. When I start to work on a T... 
Posted December 29, 2009 10:43:35 AM
View All Replies Made By This User