Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Promit...  Moderator - Graphics Programming and Theory
Full Name Promit Roy
Nickname Promit 
State/Province, Country MD   United States
GD Gathering City Baltimore, MD, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Software Engineer 
Job Description I engineer the software 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1882  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/30/2001 12:03:40 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Direct3D vs. OpenGL: Which API to Use When, Where, and Why
Implementing Immediate Mode in Direct3D
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
The Daily GameDev.Net The Daily GameDev.NetPosted by: Promit Roy at December 8, 2010 3:33:51 PMTime for a Wednesday dose of news. Spoiler: this post ends with shameless self promotion. You’ve been warned. Nominations are now open for the 2011 Game Developers Choi... 
Posted December 8, 2010 3:33:51 PM
The Daily GameDev.Net The Daily GameDev.NetPosted by: Promit Roy at November 17, 2010 3:03:34 PMIt’s time for yet another delectable mid-week roundup of game industry news. I’ve actually been a little distracted lately because I’m in the process of modif... 
Posted November 17, 2010 3:03:34 PM
The Daily GameDev.Net The Daily GameDev.NetPosted by: Promit Roy at November 10, 2010 2:26:51 PMIt turns out yesterday was Tuesday and today is Wednesday. It’s times like these I start to think maybe I should check a calendar once in a while. I hope all you Ame... 
Posted November 10, 2010 2:26:51 PM
The GameDev.Net Daily The GameDev.Net DailyPosted by: Promit Roy at November 1, 2010 4:41:12 PMHappy New Week! I’m here today, because I’ll be off voting tomorrow and so Mike will keep you entertained. I hope you had a fun Halloween weekend, I know I did. In f... 
Posted November 1, 2010 4:41:12 PM
The Daily GameDev.Net The Daily GameDev.NetPosted by: Promit Roy at October 26, 2010 5:42:38 PMGuess who’s back, back again? Promit’s Back, Tell a Friend GameDev.Net Daily! Rock Band 3 is out today. I don’t normally touch gaming news, but they’v... 
Posted October 26, 2010 5:42:38 PM
The Daily GameDev.Net The Daily GameDev.NetPosted by: Promit at October 12, 2010 5:40:42 PMIt’s early Tuesday evening here, and I just couldn’t help but ask myself. What would Jesus write? I think he would write this Not Exactly Biblical GameDev.Net Daily. ... 
Posted October 12, 2010 5:40:42 PM
The Daily GameDev.Net The Daily GameDev.NetPosted by: Promit Roy at October 6, 2010 3:38:28 PMTime for your Wednesday fix of news. Maybe I should just move my day officially to Wednesday. In any case, this is a Not Very Good With Schedules GameDev.Net Daily. Remember t... 
Posted October 6, 2010 3:38:28 PM
The Daily GameDev.Net The Daily GameDev.NetPosted by: Promit Roy at September 29, 2010 4:16:30 PMWednesday afternoon. Perhaps the most middle-ish of the weekday afternoons. This is a Painfully Slow News Day GameDev.Net Daily. GamaSutra has a feature with The Voxel Agen... 
Posted September 29, 2010 4:16:30 PM
The Daily GameDev.Net The Daily GameDev.NetPosted by: Promit Roy at September 21, 2010 4:32:20 PMOnce again, it’s time to sum up the news of the day that interests me or lets me be provocative about, all in order to generate as many comments as possible. It must be... 
Posted September 21, 2010 4:32:20 PM
The Daily GameDev.net The Daily GameDev.netPosted by: Promit Roy at September 8, 2010 6:22:59 PMWednesday is the new Tuesday, which in turn is probably the new Labor Day or something. Mike felt that being in Canada shouldn’t stop him from celebrating the holiday, an... 
Posted September 8, 2010 6:22:59 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Life as we (used to) know it NASA article: Quote:The newly discovered microbe, strain GFAJ-1, is a member of a common group of bacteria, the Gammaproteobacteria. In the laboratory, the researchers successfully grew microbes from the lake on a diet that was very lean o... 
Posted December 5, 2010 8:39:17 PM
My housemate bought a unicycle instead of paying the bills Quote:Original post by speciesUnknown Hmm, we had words and I now think I was being unreasonable - he has a legitimate explanation, apparently he thought the unicycle would fit into his budget but he got surprised.Yeah, this is why you always get ta... 
Posted November 29, 2010 10:57:52 AM
Is C++ being replaced with C#? Quote:Original post by blueshogun96 I'Of course, you can have both, but I prefer C/C++ because it's more "to the metal".I would love to know what exactly you think this means. 
Posted November 27, 2010 5:13:54 PM
Create DEVICE kills any double precision variables in .NET We've discussed forcing this flag on, since it breaks .NET rules to change the FP mode and causes all kinds of subtle bugs, even in WPF. This is more evidence that forcing it is the right thing to do. 
Posted November 27, 2010 10:20:41 AM
What would you suggest for AI programming portfolio ? If you're going to copy the same exact post to four different forums, I'll just close all of them. 
Posted November 14, 2010 11:59:23 AM
What would you suggest for physics programming portfolio ? If you're going to copy the same exact post to four different forums, I'll just close all of them. 
Posted November 14, 2010 11:59:20 AM
What would you suggest for engine programming portfolio ? If you're going to copy the same exact post to four different forums, I'll just close all of them. 
Posted November 14, 2010 11:59:16 AM
What would you suggest for graphicss programming portfolio ? If you're going to copy the same exact post to four different forums, I'll just close all of them. 
Posted November 14, 2010 11:59:03 AM
So it looks like the Democrats got punished for getting the job done. Quote:Original post by HostileExpanse Quote:Original post by way2lazy2care We have problems all around the country with infrastructure, and here we are passing healthcare reform. Err... you mean the healthcare reform that was passed long after a... 
Posted November 8, 2010 4:22:31 PM
So it looks like the Democrats got punished for getting the job done. What happened to Democrats fundamentally -- and I partly blame Obama for this -- is that they played the center. The 2008 election dynamics created two very aggressive counter forces. On the left, you had a very powerful progressive movement, fue... 
Posted November 6, 2010 12:47:54 PM
View All Replies Made By This User