Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Madster...  
Full Name  
Nickname Madster 
State/Province, Country Bio-Bio   Chile
GD Gathering City Concepcion, Bio-Bio, Chile
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1095  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 6/6/2004 2:44:55 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Terrain algorithm usage in current games I've been trying to find out what current (and recent) games use for rendering their terrain, but info is minimal (just marketing). Does anyone have any examples? I'm fearing the most high-tech mainstream games have gone is chunked LOD. 
Posted September 25, 2008 8:00:50 PM
Render to VBO on 2008 cards Have things changed since 2006? http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=434618 I'd like to try an algorithm that requires vertex shader to look up textures, but when searching I keep bumping into info from 2005-2006 saying that... 
Posted August 25, 2008 9:18:00 PM
New to OpenGL, which version to target? Hello. I've been coding small games on and off for quite a while, but so far always someone else has handled the graphics side for me. Now I have to do it on my own and I'm looking for the proper place to start. I believe the best... 
Posted August 25, 2008 2:58:38 AM
reading from other disciplines I've been reading a design book... a graphic design book... And I find that much of what I read is applicable to game design. What's nice to see maps to rather obvious analogies in gameplay. Like for example excess of repeat-fill in pattern design,... 
Posted February 14, 2007 3:53:10 PM
Boost::Spirit I have to write a parser for a simple text format. It's not recursive and it's fully defined. I could have gone the hackish way with if's and std::cin but I decided to make it robust and go with Boost::Spirit. Then I started reading the docs. T... 
Posted December 26, 2006 6:10:24 PM
generalizing game classes Hi. I've been having trouble organizing my game classes. My latest attempt involved several Actor classes for a simple Space Invaders clone: PlayerActor, AlienActor and ProjectileActor. a World class held instances of them and was responsible for... 
Posted December 13, 2006 12:35:58 AM
second step in sockets! (UDP size, htonl,htons) I took a class on networking and I've successfully connected machines in a LAN using both TCP and UDP, have done broadcast, multicast and "unicast" and have transmitted data successfully in all of these forms, both under Linux and Windows, the l... 
Posted November 28, 2006 1:45:28 PM
correct use of exceptions (in C++) I've read a lot about exceptions, throwing, catching, the rules about it, etc. But also I've read that a try{} block is slower than a regular block, so one is not supposed to wrap the whole program around one. How is one supposed t... 
Posted January 31, 2006 3:43:14 PM
deleting const pointers allowed? This was sort of a letdown. If one can just go ahead and delete pointers to const objects... then why bother with all the const semantics? #include <iostream> using namespace std; int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { const cha... 
Posted February 3, 2006 2:06:52 AM
Generic Datastore Hi, haven't posted in a few months.... grr classes. Anyway, here's my question. Has anyone implemented or has ideas on how to implement a generic datastore object? The idea is to have a data-centric architecture and have several classes a... 
Posted December 3, 2005 4:09:37 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Very Complex Combat Quote:Original post by AngleWyrm I like the idea of defensive moves. Martial arts have them. But I'm not so sure about making a player choose between dealing damage and damage reduction, because the second option is generally just postponing an inev... 
Posted October 5, 2008 7:59:55 PM
Terrain algorithm usage in current games Hmm I'm doing my undergrad thesis on displacement mapping. Thanks for the tip! I'll be looking for ways to make my proposal "free" then, using tesselation chip resources (at least in theory, since there's no PC API for it yet) Can you say... 
Posted October 5, 2008 7:26:43 PM
3D rendering of video camera capture On second reading.... Are you looking for obstacle avoidance? if so, Sonar's a much better idea, as is interferometry. Subs use it. Sonar would drive the surronding fauna nuts tho... bats specially! With it, you should get a map of angle/dist... 
Posted October 5, 2008 7:21:29 PM
Cloud Issues, suggestions? I see only small sprites on a big volume. If I remember correctly, that paper showed examples where some big sprites would suggest the main shape of the cloud. Those were really blurred because of the stretching, but the small ones... 
Posted September 25, 2008 8:15:15 PM
3D rendering of video camera capture I'm guessing your plane won't have a huge autonomy range. You could download the datasets for the zone you'll be flying over and use the GPS for the position. Then render a z-buffered textured mesh (as in: showing edges but opaque faces) over the... 
Posted September 25, 2008 8:10:40 PM
Render to VBO on 2008 cards the in-band part lost me, would I need to do something special for this to be in-band? I already looked up the functions needed and I got the idea, except for that. Thanks! EDIT: Quote:How far back does PBO support go for hardware? Not far e... 
Posted August 27, 2008 10:34:13 PM
Render to VBO on 2008 cards Thanks, I'll give the PBO technique a try. I remember reading it was very slow, but when I read this it was about modifying texture data trough the CPU, so the transfer was needed.  
Posted August 27, 2008 6:25:21 PM
New to OpenGL, which version to target? Thanks, will carry on with Irrlicht and GL 2.x shaders 
Posted August 25, 2008 9:07:41 PM
The Angry Vendor Idea Adding on to previously mentioned concepts: -Instead of having each NPC have a "personality" (valuation for goods), make roles and have NPCs fit to those roles, so the player has an easier time guessing who is who while meeting bunches of them.... 
Posted August 25, 2008 4:58:03 AM
Flexible map making Quote:Original post by Kest Picture a complex 3D character walking around the corner, then turning into an Atari blip. Both can achieve similar cause/effect, but the simplified version is much easier on the CPU. This will allow me to have actua... 
Posted August 25, 2008 4:02:00 AM
View All Replies Made By This User