Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know stenny...  
Full Name  
Nickname stenny 
State/Province, Country Noord-Holland   Netherlands
GD Gathering City Hilversum, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1027  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 6/22/2006 1:57:10 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Implementation of Scene Graphs, Spatial Trees, Culling, Bounding Boxes and more... Hey there, I seem to find the concept of scene graphs and other sorts of hierarchical trees rather confusing, so I thought to post for some guidance here on gamedev. I haven't really got a specific question, I'd just like someone to explain m... 
Posted April 30, 2010 5:44:57 PM
Texture reloading when toggling fullscreen, SDL+OpenGL Dear reader, Today I decided to tackle the problem of reloading my textures whenever the OpenGL context gets lost and recovered (for example when SDL switches to fullscreen or windowed -> a new window is created). However, this seems to be hard... 
Posted December 28, 2009 10:08:33 PM
[SOLVED - Thanks jyk :)]Camera Class - Yaw and Pitch Hey GameDev! I'm having some trouble figuring out how yawing and pitching my camera in 3d works and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Over the last two, three days I've been trying out all sorts of matrix multiplications and stuff, but... 
Posted February 27, 2009 6:42:08 AM
Everything Mirrored over z-axis Hey there! Let's get down to the problem: Everything I render in OpenGL is mirrored over the z-axis. I place something to the right of the z-axis (x = 2), it is rendered to its left. When I move my camera to the right (worldmatrix: x -= 1), the en... 
Posted February 25, 2009 1:15:47 PM
How do render states work now? Hey there! Take this piece of Direct3D9 pseudo-code as example: // PREUDO CODE EXAMPLE // SetRenderState(ALPHABLEND_ON); SetRenderState(ALPHABLEND_STATS); // Start gameloop while(1) { SetRenderState(ALPHABLEND_ON); DrawWater(); /... 
Posted August 27, 2008 5:24:44 PM
Unhandled Exception at return? Hey there! When I build a release version of my app, I get an unhandled exception in this piece of code (WinAPI setup): HRESULT NSystem::Init(std::string strClass, std::string strIconFilename) { // get the Instancehandle m_hInst = GetModul... 
Posted July 23, 2008 7:04:29 AM
Rectangles, Lines, and Dots - Use primitives? Hey there, I'm making a very basic graphics engine (just something that wraps up DirectX), nothing fancy. I was thinking about supporting functions that draw coloured rectangles, lines or dots on the screen. It would appear the best way to do... 
Posted July 22, 2008 3:31:49 PM
Lost Device problem with D3DXFont Hey there! I've got some problems with lost devices. Whenever the D3D device is lost, this code is looped through: // given: std::vector<LPD3DXFONT> for(UINT i=0; i<m_pFonts.size(); i++) { m_pFonts[i]->OnLostDevice(); } ... 
Posted July 20, 2008 5:47:00 PM
[SOLVED] strcmp not working? Hey GDNet, I've arrived at one of those "you've debugged a hundred times, but yet can't find the possibly stupid source of the problem"-moments. I'm going crazy! Why is strcmp() not working? What am I doing wrong? I've got two std::strings... 
Posted July 14, 2008 9:20:21 PM
Disabled windows (WinAPI) Heya! When I'm running fullscreen (style: WS_POPUP), and press with Windowsbutton on my keyboard, the startmenu pops up, but the window is still drawn in the background. How can I disable my app when for example that button is used, alt-... 
Posted July 14, 2008 1:26:37 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Stumped on Homework problem... C++ As everyone has said, the problem lies in the initialization of your two numbers, NOT in the while-loop (although it could be optimized). Look at these two lines: int num1, num2; diff(num1, num2); These were on top of your "kinda" imp... 
Posted October 9, 2010 8:41:44 AM
What is the use of .lib file? Because headers normally only contain declarations and no definitions. Thereby, libraries are precompiled, which is a huge advantage with bigger projects. They only need to be linked. Correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm learning just as... 
Posted June 5, 2010 2:42:41 AM
Implementation of Scene Graphs, Spatial Trees, Culling, Bounding Boxes and more... Things are started to clear up. Slowly. Separating logical and graphical data seems like a solid plan to me. A Scene Graph consists of nodes describing how the world is ordered in a logical fashion. Adding a node (or entity, as you'd like to call... 
Posted May 1, 2010 7:12:22 AM
Implementation of Scene Graphs, Spatial Trees, Culling, Bounding Boxes and more... Thanks for answering, Wiegje85. Nonetheless: yes, I could have used google for this. And I already had. As much as I appreciate your reply, I understand the concept of all these trees. The problem is the implementation (for which google, frankly,... 
Posted May 1, 2010 6:21:17 AM
Texture reloading when toggling fullscreen, SDL+OpenGL Quote:Original post by jyk I think the question wasn't so much, 'Why is my context being lost?', but rather, 'Why aren't I seeing anything after the context is recreated?'. Yup. Anyway, I think you're right jyk. Deleting the OpenGL Resources bef... 
Posted December 29, 2009 12:10:50 PM
Texture reloading when toggling fullscreen, SDL+OpenGL Thanks for replying, idinev, jyk and szecs! I solved the problem, thanks to you guys. It lay indeed in the not resetting of the OpenGL state correctly after switching. Quote:original post by jyk: You are right that textures need to be re-uploaded... 
Posted December 29, 2009 9:31:37 AM
Necessary parts to a video game Audio. Never, ever, forget that! ò_ó On a more serious note: you'd need a lot more than those three. But try and think about it yourself. Go play a game and ask yourself: what's all running in the background? What makes this experience (or breaks... 
Posted November 8, 2009 2:58:49 PM
Moving the camera around a scene with a mouse? I don't think that sharing code would make it any simpler. In fact, NeHe is simply sharing code too. What seems to go wrong in the first place? 
Posted October 25, 2009 7:25:39 PM
Isometric Tiles Culling First things first: don't draw anything that's not currently in your view. Of course, you'd first have to know what exactly IS in view, and what not. So, as rxa suggested: get those transformations working, then find out a way to check if something'... 
Posted June 4, 2009 5:59:58 AM
Flipping an image when drawing Hehehe...why don't you just try it out, mate? And report back with some results? ;) 
Posted March 2, 2009 2:55:45 AM
View All Replies Made By This User