Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Ahnfelt...  
Full Name  
Nickname Ahnfelt 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1050  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 2/19/2007 3:34:48 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Syntax Highlighting (via JS or server side) Since many of you are programmers like me and write about code in your blogs and home pages, I'm going to pull a shameless plug here for a my browser based syntax highlighter. There are a lot of projects like it, but the benefit of this one i... 
Posted August 9, 2008 6:49:05 AM
Embedded licenses in source code In most sources I check out from version control of open source projects, every single source file contains some watered down paraphrase of the license and a reference to the full license (typically GPL). My question is: is that necessary? It f... 
Posted July 1, 2008 2:11:53 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
'Exploration' pathfinding algorithm? I'm no AI expert myself, but maybe you could use Dijkstra's algorithm to find the nearest unexplored tile (or tiles). 
Posted June 6, 2010 2:12:14 PM
'Exploration' pathfinding algorithm? Well I think that sounds like a good start. Are there any behavioral downsides to it, or are you concerned with efficiency? Anyway, I like that you're not going for the standard-ish walk-around-in-rings AI that so many RPGs feature. 
Posted June 6, 2010 1:38:54 PM
'Exploration' pathfinding algorithm? You could store the tiles or areas where the monster has explored, and then if there's nothing interesting around, go towards the nearest unexplored area. This way the monster isn't aimless per se, but just appears to be searching or exploring. 
Posted June 6, 2010 9:03:33 AM
[Python] Comment style question You might want to consider following the official style. 
Posted November 6, 2008 1:23:09 PM
Language Syntax I really care for JavaDocs and similar systems. Since types + method name typically doesn't contain enough info, it is vital. For example, does the method return null? Does it throw an exception? Does it require that some argument isn't null? And the... 
Posted October 11, 2008 11:22:08 PM
Language Syntax I like the Python syntax to some degree, because it doesn't require parenthesis around everything. For example, I find "if x > 23:" cleaner than "if(x > 23) {". I don't use Python at all, so it has nothing to do with familiarity. It's not as am... 
Posted October 10, 2008 2:28:33 PM
Nicollet.Net : my blog. I find it amusing that all the errors you have written about in the unit testing post are due to dynamic typing/variable creation ;-) I am probably going to read every last of your posts. Languages and abstractions, my favorite cup of tea. But... 
Posted October 2, 2008 7:28:12 AM
organix Any chance of a higher resolution image? I'd love to have this as my desktop background. I can't run the demo since I'm on Linux :-( Anyway, great work! 
Posted September 29, 2008 4:18:37 AM
Casual game - multiplayer only There are plenty of casual multiplayer games. Multiplayer pong (yes, there are actually quite entertaining and popular versions of this, with 6+ players in non-rectangular settings), guess-what-I'm-drawing games (iSketch), and so on. They are ve... 
Posted September 28, 2008 7:28:38 AM
.cpp's and .h's lost.... recovery options? Well it's freeware too, by definition (since it's free of charge). Anyways, you really should use version control. I recommend Subversion. You can do it locally or on a server (there are plenty of free ones for open source projects, but... 
Posted September 28, 2008 4:36:22 AM
View All Replies Made By This User