Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Buckeye...  
Full Name  
Nickname Buckeye 
State/Province, Country PA   United States
GD Gathering City Emmaus, PA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Nuclear Design Engineer (retired) 
Job Description (previous) Instrumentation and Controls design for nuclear utility 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1667  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 2/10/2008 8:53:59 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Page format problem IE8 Assuming there on ongoing changes, the link formatting in the upper right-hand corner needs adjustment. Also, the forums list Community->Forums is similar[ly] incorrectly formatted. [Edited by - Buckeye on January 4, 2011 12:42:27... 
Posted January 4, 2011 11:08:51 AM
[IE7] Left-justified vs centered text in forums, etc. The text for the subjects in the forums is centered vs. left-justified. The first (original) post in each thread also has centered vs. left-justified text. Is that a feature or a bug? [smile] Can we go back to left-justified? 
Posted December 9, 2010 10:18:50 AM
XACT3 - how to get attenuation with distance [RESOLVED] Problem: Using DX9, XAudio2, XACT - I can't detect an attenuation with increasing distance between listener and emitter. What am I missing? The stereo direction from emitter to listener works well. Moving my eye direction "swings" the emitter soun... 
Posted December 19, 2010 11:04:30 AM
Advertisements covering the window I realize the site needs revenue and sympathize with that. However, I was trying to reply to a post and the Tron commercial covered the greater part of the window, including the Message edit box. Closing the ad did no good. It just restarts. Can t... 
Posted December 6, 2010 11:54:40 AM
[Dx9, PixWin] PixWin locks up machine After collecting single frame data in PixWin (from the June 2010 SDK) for a program of mine which uses an effect for vertex shading, clicking on the Render tab to attempt shader debugging causes the screen to go dark, the monitor indicates "No S... 
Posted December 4, 2010 10:40:55 PM
Happy Birthday, Team Fortress! Apparently celebrated variously on August 23rd or 24th (for some reason it depends on the year*), it's Happy Birthday to Team Fortress! I still have it installed and still play that old BSP driven classic with FoxBots. *You suppose th... 
Posted August 24, 2010 12:04:33 PM
DX9 C++ Creating Stencil Buffer Silhouette Question: Is there a way to set the stencil buffer from a transparent texture or something similar (vs creating a silhouette object/vertexbuffer/etc.)? Is there a technique for setting the stencil better or faster than rendering triangles? I'm new... 
Posted July 29, 2010 9:19:07 AM
Tweaking needed? I assume the site is being revised again - hopefully it's still in progress? Following ctrl-Refresh (IE7, XP): and Or do I need to do something else? EDIT: Wow! That was quick! Just did another ctrl-Refresh and all is well. (ne... 
Posted July 24, 2010 6:56:47 AM
Win32 API, XP - DialogBox doesn't come to top [A solution found] I have 2 dialog box classes, both modal, initiated with DialogBox(...). Dialog1 can call Dialog2 by new'ing an instance of Dialog2 and calling Dialog2's DoModal() function (which just calls DialogBox(..) ). (I delete the Dialog2 instance after it ret... 
Posted July 16, 2010 6:29:23 PM
DX9 FFP - Separate vertex colors for triangles and points I am looking for a way (DX9, FFP) in an editor to use a single vertex strucure to render the vertex buffer both as triangle list, and as point list with points a different color than the Gourard shading color. With the restrictions below, can it be d... 
Posted June 29, 2010 12:24:52 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
RenderingTarget clearing problem, screen flicker I don't know how you have your app setup, but flickering can be caused by the window message WM_ERASEBKGND being processed and WM_PAINT being ignored. If you're pumping a message loop, you must respond to WM_PAINT, at least with BeginPaint/EndPaint t... 
Posted January 7, 2011 8:01:20 AM
camera in the middle Your equation places the camera at one of the corners of the maze. If the maze is in the center of the screen, and you want the camera in the center of the maze: cameraPosition = (windowWidth*0.5f, windowHeight*0.5f,1500). (I'm not sure what 150... 
Posted January 7, 2011 7:57:38 AM
Having a problem with DirectX program! The first thing you should do is determine where the program exits, then why. Set a breakpoint early in the execution, maybe immediately after the WinMain (or tMain, whereever your program initiates). Then step through the code and determine where an... 
Posted January 6, 2011 9:51:21 PM
changing screen color An extremely simple method is to output only the green (or red) component of the diffuse color in a vertex shader if "night-vision" is ON. That doesn't in any way take into account a simulation of the infra-red that a "warm" object would... 
Posted January 6, 2011 2:17:28 PM
Collision geometry in racing games Quote:how I'd go about it from the spline exported from max? Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with max or its exports. However, where you get your geometry shouldn't make a difference in the algorithm. My algorithm is very basic: it's based o... 
Posted January 6, 2011 1:50:49 PM
Page format problem IE8 Quote:Original post by superpig Fixed now? Yep. Thanks for the attention. 
Posted January 6, 2011 1:22:06 PM
3d shapes The geometry of the cube is determined by how you fill the vertex buffer. I'm not sure what you mean by "using the primitives," but the world matrix determines where in the "world" the cube will be, and the view and projection matrices determine how... 
Posted January 5, 2011 8:21:26 PM
Country mapping I haven't look specifically for data for GB, but (for instance) the USGS (Geological Survey) has a website from which you can download elevation data for the US. The grid is in arcseconds (equivalent to ~30 meters). The UK may have something similar.... 
Posted January 4, 2011 6:25:47 PM
Grid code is overloading and not working Quote:any suggestion on the grid algorithm? If you've got it working (and you now realize you only have to execute the loading code once), go with it. You may be able to improve it next project, but, for now, I'd suggest you continue... 
Posted January 4, 2011 6:17:45 PM
some dx rookie questions Ah. I'm not a DX11 person so can't help you details. However, are there any simple samples in the SDK for just drawing a triangle? E.g., MSDN lists a DirectX 11 tutorial 2: Rendering a Triangle. Nothing is mentioned about stencilling, etc. You might... 
Posted January 4, 2011 6:03:44 PM
View All Replies Made By This User