Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know vx7johmi...  
Full Name  
Nickname vx7johmi 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1026  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/22/2004 9:33:00 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Am I using UML correctly? Hi everybody! I would like to "visually" present a system which involves a cell-and-portal culling mechanism. Although the class hierarchy itself is not the main topic, I need a simplified way of explain the design and traversal paths in order to... 
Posted November 19, 2008 5:59:03 AM
Any good alternatives to the classic Scene Graph? Well, the topic pretty much speaks for itself... After using API's based on the "classic" scene graph (SGI Performer, OpenSceneGraph, ...) for a long time now I'm looking for a good alternative, more like a database/manager-based solution. Eve... 
Posted January 12, 2007 8:58:03 PM
Facade textures Ok, this may not be the coolest and most high-tech IOTD, but it's a neat tool that serves it's purpose... I work with the creation of big city models in 3D and and one of the not-so-funny parts is the capturing/creation of facade textures of... 
Posted October 8, 2006 2:06:51 AM
3DMark06, Cascaded Shadow Maps (CSM) Hi everybody! Just read the 3DMark06 White Paper about Cascaded Shadow Maps... Link to pdf "This method works by dividing the view frustum in to 5 sections along the z-axis. Each section gets shadowed by a standard uniform 2048x2048 shadow... 
Posted January 19, 2006 4:51:49 AM
Penalty for binding a large VBO? Let's say that I have a LOD-system where each LOD use the same VBO, but different indices arrays depending on which LOD to draw. Will I get a speed/performance penalty if I bind the large VBO compared to if I bind a smaller VBO (a VBO only... 
Posted February 1, 2006 6:14:16 AM
Multiple objects in one draw-call. How to handle alpha-blending? Hi! I just read Carsten Wenzel's GDC 05 presentation (Far Cry and DirectX) where he talks about Geometry Instancing. Now, when you are rendering several instances of an object in one draw-call, how do you handle alpha-blending?? /Mike 
Posted September 26, 2005 4:35:54 PM
"sharp" holes in terrain with stencil buffer Hi! I would like to get some comments and suggestions on my current terrain implementation that supports adding of holes. Also I would like to hear if someone is using a similar system. First of all, the reason for my implementation is that i... 
Posted August 14, 2005 2:15:14 PM
Terrain texturing, several masks (plus other questions...) Any good ideas besides the "one mask per channel" solution?? What I really want is a color-coded mask image, where each color would correspond to a material (detail-texture). I am aware of the limits in number of detail-textures... Besides t... 
Posted June 3, 2005 11:45:36 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
How to draw 2D vector data to 3D terrain? Their method is based on the stencil shadow volume technique. For more info on that check out chapter 9 in GPU Gems: http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems/gpugems_ch09.html /Mike 
Posted May 13, 2009 2:44:52 AM
OpenGL Stereoscopy Check out OpenSceneGraph (www.openscenegraph.org). It has a very good support for different types of stereo-setups (and is also a very good "platform" if you want to develop graphics applications). So, do the following: 1) Download version 1.2 (2.... 
Posted July 18, 2007 10:51:53 PM
render to vertex array "Render to Vertexbuffer in OpenGL (HowTo)" at: http://www.devmaster.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7457 /Mike 
Posted July 11, 2007 1:23:14 PM
FreeFormEngine I don't understand how you generate the "lightmap" without doing texel_by_texel line tracing. As in the image below, don't you have to trace until you reach the "end" of the heightmap? Of course the number of samples would be different from texel to... 
Posted June 17, 2007 10:10:18 AM
FreeFormEngine Thanks for the previous answers! Ok, so the process for generating the terrain lightmap is similar to: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1817.asp but done on the GPU? I'm very impressed by the update performance! Seems very s... 
Posted June 15, 2007 9:53:10 AM
FreeFormEngine First of all, VERY impressive work!! Might even say that this is THE most impressive IOTD ever... Now to the questions: 1) HSR - I guess your using portals with PVS for indoor? For outdoor, are you using occlusion queries or are you doing the s... 
Posted June 14, 2007 9:23:43 AM
Cutting polygons Check out Sutherland Hodgman clipping. One good presentation at: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/fall00/cs426/lectures/clip/sld035.htm In order to map the concept to 3D, just use a plane/multiple planes as the "boundary" and use r... 
Posted June 13, 2007 3:59:22 PM
Texture errors in multiple wxGLCanvas windows Forgot to mention that it is Windows only... Sorry! However, I don't think it is practical to have two separate wxGLCanvas sharing the same context (drawing into one window will very much affect the other one, as you are using the... 
Posted December 11, 2006 10:41:56 PM
Texture errors in multiple wxGLCanvas windows For every wxGLCanvas you create you get a separate OpenGL context. When you create/upload a texture in OpenGL it is only accessible/usable in the context where you created it, UNLESS you call [wglShareLists]. So, let your main context (your main... 
Posted December 11, 2006 9:51:44 PM
Scenegraphs and multiple passes In the case of shadow mapping, you should actually have the lights themselves take care of the multipass part (well, the depth buffer rendering...). Using a "light-graph" or "light-list", every light that has any affect on whats in the current v... 
Posted October 20, 2006 8:14:13 PM
View All Replies Made By This User