Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know yahastu...  
Full Name  
Nickname yahastu 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1022  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 4/25/2007 11:41:51 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Point cloud with infinite depth range I am trying to render a point cloud (fixed point size), but the points are not contained within any small finite bounding volume but rather range anywhere in the floating point range (excluding infinity). The trouble is that DirectX culls anything... 
Posted December 21, 2010 2:30:34 PM
Screen flash on reset? When I toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode, I always get a quick flash of color on the screen (eg, a band of green or purple). Can someone explain why this flash occurs, and if it is an indication of me doing something wrong? Here is... 
Posted December 20, 2010 9:31:35 PM
MessageBox over fullscreen window? When the user presses the escape key, I display a simple message box like this, Quote: MessageBox(hWnd, "Are you sure you want to quit?", "Quit", MB_YESNOCANCEL ); In windowed mode this works fine. However in fullscreen mode, it displays hi... 
Posted December 20, 2010 3:54:03 PM
So many colors D3DCOLOR / DWORD - set via macros, used for setting some color settings D3DCOLORVALUE - POD-struct holding packed values, used in D3DMATERIAL9 for example D3DXCOLOR - non-POD holding packed values, but also has math and conversation operators t... 
Posted December 20, 2010 12:28:28 PM
Glew linker errors I'm using MSVC 2008. I can compile and run projects using Glut without issue. Now I am trying to include Glew. This is what I have done: 1) Downloaded the latest version of Glew from http://glew.sourceforge.net/install.html 2) Installed gle... 
Posted December 12, 2010 4:16:42 PM
a circle representation and intersection I happened across the following paper, http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=49155.49157 In the paper, they describe another parametrization for the circle which transitions smoothly between radius=0 and radius=infinity and gives robust results... 
Posted June 29, 2010 2:53:19 PM
Efficient lookup close to line I have a set of n 2D points and I want an algorithm for efficiently finding all points within a threshold distance from a given line. ---- 1) brute force is simply iterate over all points and measure distance to line, obviously O(n) time comp... 
Posted June 18, 2010 10:25:05 PM
which is larger? I have two integral variables "a" and "b" having types "A" and "B", respectively. The types may differ in sign and/or storage size. What is the simplest way in C++ to determine if "a > b" that will never fail? 
Posted September 14, 2009 3:33:01 PM
Impossible challenge I'm fairly sure there is no good solution to this problem, but there's no harm in posing it. Goal: a template sized matrix/vector class that is POD and has ".x, .y, .z" style access, and doesn't cause code bloat. One way to achieve this is... 
Posted September 11, 2009 4:07:28 PM
LSB pointer bits I've encountered code that uses the least significant 2 bits of a pointer to store flag bits. When accessing the pointer they just mask those bits back to zero. This technique has been presented in siggraph and seems to be a fairly common technique... 
Posted September 1, 2009 3:12:54 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
To use a namespace or not? That is the question. Quote:Original post by SteveDeFacto I'm writing an API and everything is contained in a few base classes. The classes are named like this APIAbbreviationClassName for example AxMatrix. I could use a namespace like this Ax::Matrix but to me this just... 
Posted December 22, 2010 7:04:18 PM
Point cloud with infinite depth range Quote:Original post by Erik Rufelt I guess you're using D3D9? In D3D10/11 you can modify the far plane clipping behavior with the DepthClipEnable member of the rasterizer desc. Unfortunately I don't think anything similar is available in D3D9. Y... 
Posted December 22, 2010 1:16:04 AM
Wrapping my brain around update being called 60 times a sec Quote:Original post by Gravy So the last 60 years of research is useless to me. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss all the work that has been done by brilliant mathematicians and computer scientists who have studied this problem. Most of the tec... 
Posted December 22, 2010 12:18:50 AM
Point cloud with infinite depth range That paper on infinite projection matrices was an interesting read. It might come in handy sometime, but my issue with that approach is that it would require the point cloud object to temporarily change the projection matrix, or to notify the r... 
Posted December 21, 2010 4:30:41 PM
Calcualte distance If the bounding boxes are axis-aligned then its quite a trivial problem, so I will assume you are referring to the more complex case of non-axis aligned bounding boxes, and you want the minimum distance between any point on the surface of these... 
Posted December 21, 2010 4:20:48 PM
Wrapping my brain around update being called 60 times a sec Actually chess AI systems generally use a game tree, but it is so large that even the fastest super computers in the world cannot compute a single move optimally. Implementing multithreading is trivial, but coming up with an AI system that can act... 
Posted December 21, 2010 2:31:25 AM
Directx Instancing vs Single Big Mesh Read this http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems2/gpugems2_chapter03.html 
Posted December 21, 2010 1:45:38 AM
MessageBox over fullscreen window? Quote:Original post by Buckeye One limitation (if it pertains to you) is that creating a "full screen window" is done using the currently set desktop resolution. Wouldn't that be doable in hardware mode as. Quote: D3DDISPLAYMODE eMode; pD3D-... 
Posted December 20, 2010 5:53:39 PM
MessageBox over fullscreen window? Quote:Original post by Dawoodoz This type of fullscreen works better with other windows and is much more stable with the same performance. http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500867 Interesting idea. Are there any other specific is... 
Posted December 20, 2010 4:41:11 PM
So many colors Thank you both :) 
Posted December 20, 2010 1:31:46 PM
View All Replies Made By This User